Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Condesending phrases you hate

CosmicHooves

@,

I don't really see how YOLO is condescending in the slightest. It's a self-referencing way to get oneself to do something they wouldn't normally. It can be used for stupid things as well as things often considered scary or dangerous.

To be condescending you usually have to be interacting with another person, to specifically try to make another sound inadequate. YOLO is completely personal almost by definition. If someone else is taking it as condescending when it's not even directed at them that sounds more like an insecurity on the part of the offended. They're projecting their own situation onto someone else's and assuming it had anything to do with them in the first place.

In any other case it's said jokingly in a way that's meant to be taken as "I know I'm doing something kinda stupid but bear with me".

• Brohoof 2

@,I don't really see how YOLO is condescending in the slightest. It's a self-referencing way to get oneself to do something they wouldn't normally. It can be used for stupid things as well as things often considered scary or dangerous.To be condescending you usually have to be interacting with another person, to specifically try to make another sound inadequate. YOLO is completely personal almost by definition. If someone else is taking it as condescending when it's not even directed at them that sounds more like an insecurity on the part of the offended. They're projecting their own situation onto someone else's and assuming it had anything to do with them in the first place.In any other case it's said jokingly in a way that's meant to be taken as "I know I'm doing something kinda stupid but bear with me".

I've must of been confused and then made a misjudgement. Thanks for the clarity!

@ looks like I did a little mistake.

Next time some one tells you to "get over it" or "deal with it", break their legs and tell them to "walk it off"

I've been seeing those two particular phrases everywhere as of late and it drives me up the wall to see how people take to use them in the wrong manner just to infuriate others.

• Brohoof 2

It kinda goes along with the whole "just get over it" that people have already mentioned, but I freaking hate it when some tells to shut up as others have it worse than you. This has also been used around pretty lately and it is even more infuriating when you know for a fact that don't give a crap about the people in the third world country they say have it worse than you in order to get you to shut up about your legitimate concerns.

• Brohoof 5

"No s*** Sherlock/genius/any other name for an intelligent person"

I see this one a lot on youtube. Tbh, when someone states the obvious...it's best just to nod it off. 

I hate it because this phrase is often used for attention and insult...knowing how most people in the comment section don't have the guts to say what they write in real life...

• Brohoof 1

"You need to show more respect".

No I fucking don't.

Respect is something that's earned, not something you owe to other people. So if I don't respect you, that means you haven't earned it. Instead of being a whiny bitch and demanding that I respect you, why don't you SHOW me that you deserve it by getting off your lazy ass and working for it.

I understand that some titles or conditions deserve respect. Old people, managers and supervisors, military personnel, etc. And yes, I do carry some amount of natural respect for these people (albeit pretty small). But I'll still flip off a 93-year-old veteran if he chooses to destroy that natural respect that I have for him.

^ This, except...

"Get off your lazy a__ and work"

-I'm pretty sure there are a LOT of jobs you can sit in a chair and actually accomplish MORE than someone who isn't... It basically offends probably at least 1/5 of people with any sort of college degree, and is EXTREMELY ignorant and rude. Heck, to be honest many of these deserve more respect than veterans (in general at least). To add, you aren't automatically WORKING if you aren't sitting. Boggles my mind that someone be disrespectful while TALKING about respecting other people.

"Get a life."

-EXCUSE ME? You say I don't have a life (to be honest, I really don't have much of one) but you decide to waste part of yours discussing how I don't have one? Hypocrite... Plus the way this is used is extremely offensive, probably to a surprisingly large amount of people.

Modern usage of the following words ACROSS THE INTERNET: Autistic (Get an understanding of what Autism is before you fling it around as an insult please...), Salty (I understand the origin... But... really? The usage of it is extremely aggravating...), Gay (So you think that homosexual is a purely derogative term? You and Mike Pence would really like each other wouldn't you?), and yeah basically anything that's easily deemed offensive by anybody who actually gives a care about their fellow human beings. Yes, that does include the phrase abbreviated KYS or KMS, because it's offensive to people who've been suicidal at one point or another for some reason. Oh and also all of this junk I heard about motherless kids (No comment...).

Edited by TwillyFSniper

^ This, except...

"Get off your lazy a__ and work"

-I'm pretty sure there are a LOT of jobs you can sit in a chair and actually accomplish MORE than someone who isn't... It basically offends probably at least 1/5 of people with any sort of college degree, and is EXTREMELY ignorant and rude. Heck, to be honest many of these deserve more respect than veterans (in general at least). To add, you aren't automatically WORKING if you aren't sitting. Boggles my mind that someone be disrespectful while TALKING about respecting other people.

To be honest, I use that as an expression, and it's not meant to be taken literally. The actual meaning is "instead of whining about how disrespectful I am, why not attempt to make me feel a bit better about you to earn it?". I'm not meaning to insult people with desk jobs or anything. :P

"Because I said so!" 

My parents used to say this when I was a kid. And It only made me loose respect for them. It doesn't help me understand why or what good me performing said order would do. Just that I need to obey. Make's me feel like a dog or a slave. 

• Brohoof 5

"Well of course you don't know!" when I admit that I don't know about a certain thing. Even when a friend says something like that to me, my blood starts to boil. Anyone who says that starts to look absolutely snooty in my eyes as they somehow manage to put themselves on a pedestal just because I don't know about something.

One thing has always bothered me. I tend to get emotional at times. It ties in with my mild OCD. If things go wrong and I'm in a state, nothing makes it worse than someone saying "Calm down." Sooner or later someone will say that, and I'll make the emotional breakthrough to go completely Super Saiyan.

(I've been watching DBZ Kai lately. Started with what CN is showing, but quickly switched to the Japanese with English subs.)

I wanna be Videl when I grow up!

4351814-videl3.jpg

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

"I'll pray for you."

Despite the fact that I'm an atheist, I don't care if people wanna pray for me or not. However, that's usually not what people mean when they say this. It's usually a catch-all to dismiss whatever it is you're saying or doing from the guise of being on some moral pedestal or something like that. It's obnoxious.

"You'll understand when..."
Maybe you tell a kid this for the mere fact that kids (and to a lesser extent, sometimes teens) have less life experience. However, my lack of experiencing what you're experiencing has nothing to do with my sense of empathy. And my capacity to understand is not centered around that experience. Have you ever considered that I just don't hold the same values as you and that's okay? Or that you're simply not explaining it well enough?

"You know how [insert group of people here] are."

No. I don't know how they are. Please explain it to me in embarrassingly excruciating detail. I'm sure your preconceived notions about how millions of people fit into a narrow-minded world view will be so enlightening.

"[insert group] think [ridiculous statement]."
No. I don't think that. Nobody thinks that. Why don't you try asking somewhat what they think rather than creating straw men?

Edited by Clover Heart

It kinda goes along with the whole "just get over it" that people have already mentioned, but I freaking hate it when some tells to shut up as others have it worse than you. This has also been used around pretty lately and it is even more infuriating when you know for a fact that don't give a crap about the people in the third world country they say have it worse than you in order to get you to shut up about your legitimate concerns.

God, goooOOOOOOD GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOO, I FUCKING......

kefka_hate1.jpg

THAT PHRASE SPAWNED BY SATAN HIMSELF   :angry:

Edited by Steve Piranha

I hate it when I stub my toe or something and I'm about to have an outburst when someone tells me, "Don't get excited." I feel like those cartoon characters from the forties saying, "Excited? Who's excited? I'm not excited!!" and then I want to start busting kneecaps. I'm not getting excited, I'm merely having a human reaction and need two seconds to compose myself before people start telling me to cool down.  :angry:

Edited by Dreambiscuit

"Kill yourself" is one that pisses me off every time I see it on the internet. Same with "drink bleach," which means the exact same thing. If you end up saying that to someone who actually is depressed and/or suicidal, then congratulations: you just made them feel even worse.

"Grow a pair" annoys me, too. Now I'm no "SJW" or anything but that phrase promotes the assumption that masculinity=maturity and dominance, which certainly isn't the case.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 2

-"KYS (Kill yourself.)"

-"There are people who have it worse off."

-"It's all in God's plan."

"May God have mercy on your soul."

-"Look on the bright side."

Another phrase/series of phrases that I really can't stand would be when someone uses Objectively/Factually wrong.

When it comes to debating real world issues, like sciences and stuff, I can let it slide for the most part, because it can actually work in that kind of context.

However when you are debating with someone about the quality of FIM, or any tv show or movie, that's when it really ticks me off.

Quality of media, isn't an objective fact.  It isn't some kind of measurable scale.  Even critics don't always agree with each other over the quality of flims.

While there are elements of film making and writing that can be studied and some forms of movies such as editing and photography can be described using them whether or not they are good or not, saying a movie is objectively wrong, for the most part is not a true statement.

The same goes for when you say that someone's opinion (on a form of media) is objectively wrong.

That phrase is an oxymoron as objectively is defined as being in a way that isn't influenced by personal feelings.

And when someone says that either The Cutie Map is objectively the best written episode of FIM, or that EQG is objectively terrible, they are ironically not being objective themselves, because it is clear that they are like most humans biased towards those particular subjects.

I really hate this phrase because it gives the person who says them a smug sense of superiority towards those they disagree with, and make me not want to discuss anything with them.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 3

I have a disability called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and experience chronic pain due to it. I hate it when people say stuff like "but you're so young" and "at least you're not my age" You can be sick and young, clearly -___-

"Man up"

" Get over it"

"You have an easy life"

"It's not THAT bad, look on the bright side"

"You really need to grow up"

Ugh, I hate the phrase "man up" I'm a woman so don't get that said to me but if I was a guy that would really piss me off too.

"Because I said so!" 

My parents used to say this when I was a kid. And It only made me loose respect for them. It doesn't help me understand why or what good me performing said order would do. Just that I need to obey. Make's me feel like a dog or a slave.

^

This. I was also a victim of this same fate. I hated this so much. I will never say this to my children because I am an honest person who always says what he's thinking. What you see is what you get with me.

• Brohoof 1

When you hear someone say Slavic is all the same.  Slavic country not all same with many different nuance.  This phrase is like "oh wow, all Slavic are same, not different Russia and Poland".  This is condescending phrase I hate.