Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Condesending phrases you hate

CosmicHooves

Here is a phrase I often here in gaming communities that I absolutely HATE: "Git gud"

Lmao. I totally get why you would say that. But I also feel like context matters here, in that, I don't find it to be a problem when said between friends just kidding around. My townhouse-roommate (which is basically my best friend at college) says "git gud mate" to me sometimes (irl) and I find it humorous. So yeah, I think between friends saying it in jest is okay. But I can see why one would get mad when the other person isn't saying it in a friendly or ironic manner, but rather implying that you are bad or something is bad.

Another phrase/series of phrases that I really can't stand would be when someone uses Objectively/Factually wrong.

Oh my goodness, it's ridiculous when people use the word "objectively" in an incorrect way. Like... "This is objectively the worst episode." No, just, please stop it. You don't have the authority to say that. Hell, Lauren Faust doesn't even have the fucking authority to say that an episode is "objectively" the worst or best episode.

• Brohoof 3

OOH OOH, GOT ANOTHER CLASSIC  :squee: : DON'T BE SELFISH  :kindness: . Raise your hands if when you've been told that wasn't because the authoritative party had selfish reasons to say it.... no one :o_o: ? OK  :awuh:

• Brohoof 1

"Sheeple" Generally used by people who believe they are 'woke' to all of life's great conspiracies. People who've spent the night watching YouTube videos and reading debunked articles on dodgy websites, now having become self-proclaimed experts. When people use this term to justify their disagreement with someone, it really goes to show just hwo far down the rabbit hole they've gone. Agreeing with the general consensus doesn't make you a sheep. It just means you have the cognitive capacity to accept the collective results of millions of hours of research.
Not everything is a conspiracy.

"You dont have it so bad. Someone else always has it worse than you."

Which may be true but to say im not allowed to feel bad in my situation because someone has it worse is like saying im not allowed to complain if i've been shot, if someone else has been shot twice. Its like saying im not allowed to feel happy because someone else is happier than me.

Edited by SONICchaos
  • Brohoof 2

In most of these cases it is not the phrase itself that is necessarily the problem but the way in which it is abused.

One I particularly despise is "don't take it personally", frequently used in relation to job interviews or any so called professional discipline as a means to somehow justify insensitive, degrading treatment.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

"It can't be that bad." 

I am unsure whether the first one counts as condescending, or if it's just plain stupid. I have a friend that chose not to go to college (which I respect) and he said to phrase to me, and it was very irritating. You can't just automatically assume that I am being a Drama Queen when I am having trouble balancing life with my schoolwork and my job. I barley ever have time to talk or text my friends anymore, or do anything fun.

This is a utterly ridiculous phrase to use, because you don't know what I go through, you don't know what it's like for me to have the hugest ball of anxiety and stress inside me from a day-to-day basis. 

and don't tell me to "look on the bright side" either because I don't have time to be Ms. Sunshine, and I am intelligent enough to be aware that there are people who do suffer more than me. You think that it cheers me up that I have a better life then them? To "be grateful for what you have?" I am, but you saying that sh** makes me feel worse because it makes me feel so selfish. I already look down on myself enough, so I don't need your sh**.

"Stop being so dramatic."

Okay, I positively, absolutely despise this phrase because it makes me feel like a fu***** idiot for venting about something. It is a term mostly used against girls, and one that my parents commonly use at me. True, sometimes I can be a bit dramatic, but when I am trying to talk to you about something I am taking very seriously I would appreciate it if you would be quiet and listen to me so I don't feel like the bad guy.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:47 AM, Saphira Rose said:

"Your so childish you need to focus on more adult things."

Makes me so upset when people say things like this. 

My Mom just tells me to "just grow up already."

I feel like I've harped on this one quite a bit but still, it's bad: "If you don't like it, don't buy it".

It translates to "Stop criticizing this product which I am unable to think critically about" or more simply, it's just saying "Shut up". It is condescending because it assumes that the critics of something don't understand the simple fact that they don't have to buy something. Also, it says that if you don't buy something, you have no reason to have an opinion about it.

It's just not a good phrase. My favorite thing is when the same people who use it turn around and say "You're only allowed to have an opinion over this after buying it".

6 hours ago, Envy said:

I feel like I've harped on this one quite a bit but still, it's bad: "If you don't like it, don't buy it".

It translates to "Stop criticizing this product which I am unable to think critically about" or more simply, it's just saying "Shut up". It is condescending because it assumes that the critics of something don't understand the simple fact that they don't have to buy something. Also, it says that if you don't buy something, you have no reason to have an opinion about it.

It's just not a good phrase. My favorite thing is when the same people who use it turn around and say "You're only allowed to have an opinion over this after buying it".

Not sure if you mean it that way, but I for one, have that "If you don't like it, don't buy it" in my head all the time. I work as a salesperson and it's annoys me when there are some who just goes about telling why they don't like the product I'm selling or saying how it's a scam to them. I don't mind it personality but it's not my job to take their complaints. I'd tell them if they have a complaint take it to the big boss or the CEO or whatever. And in case they forget, we have return policy, that means we accept any returns within 30-90 days. 

That being said, if you know you won’t like the item why then waste your money and time on it?

What ticks me off the most is when they started like this "Do you know..."   I get that a lot especially when selling health related. I'm not your doctor or your mother, go and consult with them instead. My job is to only sell what I know to the best of my knowledge. I don't know what going on in their head but every time it does happen I get the impression that these people thinks it's "fun" to find our weak point and exploits them just to humiliated us in front of the other costumers as if we are like some evil business people trying to sell shit just for money. News flash, we get paid by the hour. We get bonuses through commission. So whether you buy it or not, will not effect my paycheck. Just let us do our job. I don't mind the complaint part,  it's the part of trying to do it for the hell of it that piss me off. 

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

In a lot of games people will say "gg easy" at the end of matches, and it's infuriating. Like, the win wasn't enough, so now you have to rub it in the other team's face and call them bad players with no provocation? It's a dick move, and I hate it. Even if it's someone on my team saying it, I still don't like it.

• Brohoof 1

"Get Woke Go Broke"

at this point it's just people REEEEING any time a woman or minority appear in a movie/show/game/etc., or anything even remotely close to being "SJW"

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Booker said:

In a lot of games people will say "gg easy" at the end of matches, and it's infuriating. Like, the win wasn't enough, so now you have to rub it in the other team's face and call them bad players with no provocation? It's a dick move, and I hate it. Even if it's someone on my team saying it, I still don't like it.

I use this from time to time, and I personally never mean to be condescending whatsoever, and it seems like you're reading too much into it.

"If you don't like it here, just leave"

The far right when they say this $#!+ could only possibly mean that they are the only ones who have ideas that matter. This phrase is actually an attempt to silence dissent to Trump within any frame of discussion, and you know it's obnoxious, undemocratic, and frankly taken to its logical conclusion could be EASILY used to support actual dictatorships. Not to mention, it is NEVER that simple.

Edited by Angus Delaney

Whenever I open my mouth to talk about one non-LGBT or something along the line about forced media.. i often got this as a response. 

“You’re homophobic” 

Me: :bea:

To me it’s translated to “ lalala I can’t hear you lalala!”

It’s a shame that mostly the adults say this kind of crap.