Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Favorite 'Free to Play' games

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Free to play is a very divisive thing in gaming. some people like hte idea, others hate it and that divisiveness holds true in the genre itself, as some of the games are great, while other can be horrible.

Let's look on the positive side of that fence. What are some of YOUR favorite free to play games?

A personal favorite of mine lately has been Gems of War for Xbox One. While Bejeweled clones are everywhere, this particular game was made by the people who made Puzzle Quest and that shows here. It is a very cool take on this type of game, having both RPG and card collection elements, as well as leveling up those cards to make them more powerful. It is actually quite fun and addicting and the way they handled the free to play aspect is brilliant. Micro transactions are not shoved in your face and if you decide to buy some stuff with real money, you will then become a VIP, which has different levels. Become one of those and you get more and more rewards every day. This is a fantastic system and something I wish Stainless Games would figure out for Magic Duels Origins.

Back when Cartoon Network used to have FusionFall, I used to play it all the time.

I was so happy when I finally got my character to level 36 which was the final level you could get in the game.

And I am so looking forward to the fan made remake of it called Fusionfall Legacy.

• Brohoof 1

I don't play many Free-To-Plays cause I'm always dubious of when I'll slam face first into a paywall (or several as Pokemon Picross has proven...), but the best I've played so far has definitely been Puzzle Forge 2. You can pay real money for gold and jewels to buy resources and level up (or remove ads annoyingly enough), except it is 100% viable to max out everything and play for countless hours without spending a cent, like I did. 

Unturned is one of my favorite F2P games and I have possibly spent more money on it than I do on TF2. It's just so much content and it's far more entertaining to play than DayZ or H1Z1, both of what have been major Early Access disappointments...and you have to pay for it too. The sole developer, who started this game as a teen, is rather receptive and he regularly updates every week, so there's always new content to try out. As a game it's developing rather fast and maybe in a year or two it'll finally be out of Early Access and into a fully fledged game. 

Team Fortress 2. I have sunk over 1000 hours into it. You can probably tell which class I play most :3 It's gone downhill since 2015, though :<

League of Legends. Though it is starting to slip with Riot leaving the ADC role to die. X_X Plus the community is atrocious, and climbing is absurdly hard due to that.

My newest addition to this group, Atlas Reactor. I have played it most of the day today. It's really fun, but really unpopulated :/... I think I've mentioned the game in another topic. It plays like a cross between X-COM and a MOBA. It's also a fairly new game, it's just getting off. Though supposedly the developer's track record isn't the best X_X

Would say Gameloft's My Little Pony if it was not a Farmville clone... That was unfortunate...

• Brohoof 2

Definitely loving Warframe <3 The amazing combat flow feels good. This tremendous amount of momentum when your character glides about the place using powered melee attacks and slow motion glide with your ranged weapons. The grind can be tedious at times but its good cooperative experience. :)

Even though I'm paying for members now, runescape has always been my top pick for f2p games especially now that its possible to buy membership with ingame currenctry you can really play all the content for free if you know how to make money really well :P

a4cc5f40458d4316b0258b0d6f805433.png

Edited by Vinyl Scratch.

I haven't played it in a while, but this game called Universal Combat CE was amazing to me, it went absurdly in depth. Unfortunately, Some badly executed parts of the game combined with its shear size and as a result, learning to play it is like learning to skydive by trial and error.

Despite that, the concept is awe-inspiring and I'm always up for a one or two hour session with the game.

Plus, it was made by one person, so I'm amazed in any case.

Edited by digit112

I don't play many Free-To-Plays cause I'm always dubious of when I'll slam face first into a paywall

I feel you. Tanki Online and Clash Royale's paywalls are insane, which is why I've stopped playing them for the most part. :c

My favorite free to play game is the one where I set money on fire and watching it burn in a dumpster... oh wait that's most of them lol. 

I'm not really into free to play games, mostly cause I think they are rip offs. 

By far it has to be World of Tanks, it caters to my military cravings so well. I have played many free to play games but none have taken me in and made me fall in love with it more than World of Tanks, great game for military equipment enthusiasts. I hope they cover the modern era of tanks one day I just love the way they do gameplay.

• Brohoof 1

Team Fortress 2. I have sunk over 1000 hours into it. You can probably tell which class I play most :3 It's gone downhill since 2015, though :<

League of Legends. Though it is starting to slip with Riot leaving the ADC role to die. X_X Plus the community is atrocious, and climbing is absurdly hard due to that.

I think TF2 has gone downhill since 2013, since they started pushing out ridiculous balance changes and removed set bonuses.

TF2's balance used to be centered around every class having immense strengths and weaknesses, now the game feels completely sterile because only a handful of classes still feel viable.

The demoknight nerf was the last straw for me.

As for League, I won't say it's not worth checking out, but I don't think Riot can make the game as fun as it was before season 5.

Even though I'm paying for members now, runescape has always been my top pick for f2p games especially now that its possible to buy membership with ingame currenctry you can really play all the content for free if you know how to make money really well :P

sig-4800070.a4cc5f40458d4316b0258b0d6f80

Runescape's another good one, but I'd say RS3 is objectively better than OSRS in terms of content and playability. Both are fun, but RS3 really does a lot to eliminate the absolute GRIND that is leveling up, so you can get straight to the actual content like quests and PvM. If you're more in to PvP than PvE, you might have more fun with OSRS instead.

Also I'd say Tera is worth giving a try, if you're in to games like WoW but can't afford $15 a month.

Edited by Kira
  • Brohoof 1

A lot of FTP games are terrible because of there grind centric payment models, but there are definitely some good ones:

Heroes of the Storm:  This is Blizzard's take on the MOBA.  Its like LoL or DOTA but with much of the early game grind removed along with a dozen or so maps plus some really interesting heroes.  Probably the best FTP out there.  It would be worth your time to check out.

March of War:  Unfortunately this game went belly up, but for a while it was a turn based tactics game with a Red Alert meets Warhammer 40k style Dieselpunk atmosphere.  It is a shame it failed.

Mechwarrior Online:  Think World of Tanks, but with Mechs.  I prefer the actual game mechanics over that of World of Tanks, but they game is far, far too stingy with the in game currency, meaning you have to grind like crazy for anything or you have to spend a lot of real money on upgrades.

PlanetSide 2:  Basically persistent world Battlefield.  You actually get to fly the aircraft in this one as everyone gets there own personal vehicle allotment.  No people with superfast computers hoarding the helo before your game even loads and no getting shot by your own team for trying to fly an airplane.  Overall a much better environment for this kind of game.

Honorable Mentions (by virtue of technically not being free):

Guild Wars 2:  This is a MMORPG with no subscription fee, but you do have to buy the base game.  Its arguably superior to most MMORPG with subscription fees, so it is not a bad investment.

Overwatch:  It is basically an upgrade to TF2, but it will put you back $40.  If you liked TF2 back in the day, you will probably enjoy its spiritual successor.

• Brohoof 1

Runescape's another good one, but I'd say RS3 is objectively better than OSRS in terms of content and playability. Both are fun, but RS3 really does a lot to eliminate the absolute GRIND that is leveling up, so you can get straight to the actual content like quests and PvM. If you're more in to PvP than PvE, you might have more fun with OSRS instead.

I'd say its a matter of preference. I can certainly see why people would prefer rs3 over osrs but at the same time osrs does still receive 50% of all the runescape traffic. At this point I would say they are very different games and which one you think is better really all comes down to preference. 

• 4 years later...

Here are my current top 3:

- Warframe

- Neverwinter

- Destiny 2

Note that no battle royales are listed, and probably never will be because I hate PvP only games.