Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you call the device you use to change the TV channels?

Miles

This question was one of the common questions asked in the slightly recent phenomena called the "accent challenge," but it was the most interesting question to me... And the reason is that I've never seen anyone answer the way my parents and I refer to the device. 

My parents and I refer to this device as "the switch" like, "hey can you pass the [tv] switch" most of the time.

So, where are you from, and what term do you use to refer to this device? (We're from central Illinois)

• Brohoof 2

Remote is what I call it. I wouldn't call it the Switch, because as a Nintendo gamer, I'll be getting their new video game system this March and I don't want to cause confusion. ;)

Huh. I've always called it The Clicker. In fact, think I call any & everything electronic that activates something else as "The Clicker." Even if it doesn't actually make a clicking noise!

Augh! Now I'm questioning everything! Here goes another Existential Crises!

• Brohoof 3

Well for me it's the toilet brush... For some reason I think the TV is a toilet that's constantly flushing when it's on but it gets clogged when it's a bad show or it gets boring so to change it I have to clean it and unclog it with my toilet brush remote. It's probably because I'm obsessed with toilet jokes... :)

• Brohoof 1

im from spain and we call it "mando" which means "controller" 

mando is a short version of "mando a distancia" wich translates to "remote controller"

"control remoto" is fine to say too in spanish, but i think its more south american spanish than spain spanish.

as for english, i would call it "tv controller"

remote or controller is what I call it..... my Mum however calls it the "Doobry" (Doob-brie) 

My sister and I freaked the hell out when we were watching Miranda and this scene happens because Mum's exactly the same!!! Never EVER heard anyone else call the remote a doobry

• 2 years later...