Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Have An Accent?

Lucky Bolt

Everyone has an accent. So yes, though hearing your own is almost impossible.

Hearing a recording of my voice alongside a bunch of American accents is the only time it has stood out enough for me to hear it XD

• Brohoof 1

I joked at the beginning of the thread, but I don't want people to think I'm embarrassed. I've lived my entire life in New Jersey, USA. Jersey girls are known for our accents.

LOL

I'm educated though, so I don't sound like those morons on "Jersey Shore".

• Brohoof 1

Since I was born in London, England, I have a British accent, though since I've been living in Canada for the past twenty-three years, my accent isn't as strong as it used to be. I've no intention of losing it however because it makes me unique in some way.

• Brohoof 2

Everyone does, even if you don't know it. Mine would be American Midwest, though it's only Michigan so not real strong.

To me it sounds normal but I'm sure everyone's accent sounds normal on the area they're from, and not as much in other areas.

I dont think I do but I learned halfway through grade school I talk with an inflection I cant even hear and spent an hour a week going to speech therapy. After learning about the inflection I could never unhear it when I listen to a recording of myself.

I have a pseudo-American accent, one that you won't get from anywhere in America. I say "mate" instead of "dude" or "bro" and youtube has changed how I speak on a big level. I sound like I have an American accent though...

Well, technically everyone has an accent when they move somewhere far away from where they grew up. Then, of course, the distinctiveness can vary from person to person.

When I was in college I lived quite far from where I grew up but people didn't really notice much of an accent. Of course they heard I wasn't from the south, but I don't have that painfully-sounding eastern accent like some of my relatives, so they didn't know where I was from. If I speak English I should have a pretty noticeable Swedish accent. When I stayed at a British friend's home for about two weeks, people told me I sounded like an American when I spoke.. Now, I don't believe that to be true for a second, but sadly I can't mythbust the claim myself as it's difficult to pick up such things in your own voice.

I think dialects will go away more and more cause of globalization. Comparing speech of today's elderly to the young generation shows clear signs of this imo.

• Brohoof 2

I have always, until about mid-last year, thought that everyone except Americans had accents. Hahaah, I guess it's the same for everyone, they're just so used to the way people sound where they live it doesn't strike them as an accent.

But anyways, my accent is just really American with a very slight hint of southern due to my roots in North Carolina.

• Brohoof 2

I've heard from many that all people have an accent of some kind but if I do, it's so insignificant as to be unidentifiable and for all intents and purposes, not able to be perceived.

It is true that we all have accents, but we cannot hear our own (for the most part), so while yours may not be perceivable to you - it will be very obvious to someone from another part of the world :)

• Brohoof 1

It is true that we all have accents, but we cannot hear our own (for the most part), so while yours may not be perceivable to you - it will be very obvious to someone from another part of the world :)

I'm not sure I can be convinced unless my voice was examined in a more scientific manner in order to confirm the theory. It would of course require multiple tests to rule out variables which might affect my voice at any moment.

I have almost no accent. This is because I have a tendency to mimic and adjust to the way people speak to me (on a phonetic level). It's not perfect though, and I can do it only when speaking a language I know well enough.

• Brohoof 1