Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Have An Accent?

Lucky Bolt

I do have somewhat of a Bostonian accent.  Sometimes my r's disappear in my speech.

I mean, those drivers always forget to use their blinkahs!

• Brohoof 4

I'm not sure I can be convinced unless my voice was examined in a more scientific manner in order to confirm the theory. It would of course require multiple tests to rule out variables which might affect my voice at any moment.

Listen to someone speaking Italian and repeat what they say in your normal voice when they're done while recording

Listen to the recording

You'll hear it

(possibly)

Edited by ARagY

I have a Narnian accent. :orly:

I guess my accent somewhat reflects one you'd hear on the West Coast (where I'm originally from), but it really isn't that pronounced. I do say y'all at times (and have the habit of typing it as well), as I currently live in the South. XD 

• Brohoof 3

I'm from south-central Georgia. I speak with a slight southern accent with a drawl. However, due to speech therapy at a young age and prolonged attempts to weed my accent into something a bit less... country, I have developed a rather unique, at least in my own opinion, accent, still reminiscent of where I am from, but much more refined. It helps that I have trained myself over the years to speak in the best English I can, and that I am a grammar nazi, as I hate sounding uneducated.

• Brohoof 4

It helps that I have trained myself over the years to speak in the best English I can, and that I am a grammar nazi, as I hate sounding uneducated.

That's great. It probably matters less what accent you had as long as it could be overcome in order for you to speak English more efficiently. That might go for all accents.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived in almost every part of the United States at one point or another so any accent I may have picked up anywhere has likely been overwritten or swirled together to the point of not being a detectable accent at all. I've spent the majority of my life on the west coast and there aren't any really strong accents here (okay, some Southern Cal accents can be a bit noticeable) but I haven't picked up anything really pronounced in that regard.

I usually try to avoid picking up accents wherever I live, I don't really know why.  :twi:  

• Brohoof 1

You know one accent you don't hear many complain about is a good ol' fashioned American! From what I can tell, Japan loves to make fun of it every now & again in their animes. That sort of over- enunciating, loud, almost constantly-posing sort of way. That sort of method american tourists have of, instead of trying to speak the language of the nation their visiting, instead speaking as loudly in american as they can.

And that's what ah've got!!! I come from a long line & a huge family of Okies (an' that's ooour word! Hee!) on my father's side! So I'm used to anything ranging between Applejack to Duck Dynasty levels of drawls, knee-slappin' belly laughs & huge curly, foot-length beards. Maybe I'm a bit proud of that heritage too, but I do also like my vocabulary and a bit distant from it, so I may tend to vary a bit between it & come out sounding like a hillbilly that's got some book larnin'!

To throw into that mix too, I was born & raised in California. So just like my sister (who its likely much more notable *cough*) there's that way of pronouncing almost everything like a question or just taking the word 'Like' and practically hauling into the back alley & flogging it to death.

So, like, if that, like, gives you, like, a, like, good impression of what, like, my voice, like, sounds like? Then, like, good?

SOOOO-eeee!  *plays a quick round of spoons off his knee*

I don't really have much of an accent at the moment because my parents didn't have one. I can speak with the accent of the region I lived in for most of my childhood, but even then I don't actually speak the dialect very well, just the inflection and some mannerisms. As for the city I live now, it's got a pretty strong accent/dialect but I don't speak it at all, most likely because the people I interact with don't speak with it.

I guess. People have a hard time figuring out where I'm from when they hear me speak and guesses can vary widely.

If anyone is curious, give me something to read out loud. Using vocaroo, I could link to a voice recording here so any can hear for themselves.