Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

american english v. british english

Zyrael

Not necessarily just these two, as english is a world language. Which pronunciations/terms do you prefer ?

ex: 

"aloo-minum" v. "al-you-mini-um"

"cookies" v. "biscuits"

• Brohoof 1

Well, Canada speaks American English, but the technical spelling of certain words is the British spelling so it's kind of like a bit of a hybrid of the two, though when there are two different words for something we usually use the American term, and largely thanks to technology defaulting to American spelling many Canadians do spell things the American way out of habit. In terms of what I prefer I never really thought about it, but though I like the touch of elegance that British English has and would probably adapt pretty easily to speaking it were I to move to England, I'm much more comfortable with my fairly American dialect currently. That said, I do enjoy fun vids like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=88FuCiac8IE

• Brohoof 1

I've never understood this one as a brit, since we say both over here, 'cos for us they're 2 different things

They are two different things in the US too. A cookie is like a chocolate chip cookie. A biscuit is what KFC has, and you can put jelly or gravy on it. What is a cookie in UK?

Well, Canada speaks American English, but the technical spelling of certain words is the British spelling so it's kind of like a bit of a hybrid of the two, though when there are two different words for something we usually use the American term, and largely thanks to technology defaulting to American spelling many Canadians do spell things the American way out of habit. In terms of what an prefer I never really thought about it, but though I like the touch of elegance that British English has and would probably adapt pretty easily to speaking it were I to move to England, I'm much more comfortable with my fairly American dialect currently. That said, I do enjoy fun vids like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=88FuCiac8IE

Funny but he missed some! Going with the tune:

Bathroom, the loo

pumps, are shoes

the bar, the pub

wash bin, a tub (don't know if that's true but it rhymes better)

biscuit, cookie

a shrub, a tree (that is a stretch)

A lift, elevator

goodbye, see you later

I'm a huge anglophile. quite a few of my family members formerly lived in the UK so the slang and spelling has rubbed off. Admittedly I willingly picked it up. I'll go with British English.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer American English. British English can have a lot of slang, high pitch to it, and is depending on the accent very difficult to understand. Before I spent time in England I thought British English sounded posh and more sophisticated than American English..oh how wrong I was. 

Not that American English is entirely nice sounding either, I just think overall it is more pleasant.

I've lived in Maine my entire life, and I grew up speaking and writing in American English, however, a lot of Mainers use British spelling for words like "color" and "honor" because of the large Canadian tourist population we have here in the border areas. I prefer the British spelling methods (the U) personally.

Both have their flaws and benefits.

Are you having a giggle mate?

Have you completely lost the pot?

I can assure you im no Billy no-mates!

So take your muppet mate over there and go back grand 7th ya barmy git!

Im sorry I have no idea what im talking about :D

Edited by SONICchaos

They are two different things in the US too. A cookie is like a chocolate chip cookie. A biscuit is what KFC has, and you can put jelly or gravy on it. What is a cookie in UK?

Funny but he missed some! Going with the tune:

Bathroom, the loo

pumps, are shoes

the bar, the pub

wash bin, a tub (don't know if that's true but it rhymes better)

biscuit, cookie

a shrub, a tree (that is a stretch)

A lift, elevator

goodbye, see you later

A cookie over here is the choc chip type cookie. ITS A COOKIE ffs

everything else is a biscuit!! if its got chocolate on it then its a chocolate biscuit. then we call various types by their brand name/type, for example, custard creams, jammy dodgers, bourbons. 

you Americans call crackers biscuits, so what the heck is a cracker over there??

British English.
Get your language sorted, yah yanks. :P

Back when I was in school, I had a Canadian teacher in maths class. I left some my stuff at home, and when I asked if I could borrow the rubber she had, I got sent out of class.

Was a while before I found out why.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 3

It depends. I prefer using biscuits. Cookies sounds too childish, besides it translates to cake here for some odd reason even though its not friggin cake. But due to being brainwashed by movies as a kid i am mostly used to American English.

But i am used to colour instead of color. I blame GameBoy Colour for that.

British english is the original English language so everything we say is correct. 

^This.

As for not understanding slang, as long as Americans who come to the UK on holiday don't talk about walking around in their new pants, don't mention fanny packs and remember the difference between a cookie and a biscuit, they should be fine.

This link might be useful if you are wondering what the difference between a biscuit and a cookie is: http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2014/05/biscuit-vs-cookie/

Oh, and don't tell a Scotsman that he's English or you might get a smack round the head. O_o I've noticed that a lot of Americans think that the UK is all England when in fact it's England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

• Brohoof 2

^This.

As for not understanding slang, as long as Americans who come to the UK on holiday don't talk about walking around in their new pants, don't mention fanny packs and remember the difference between a cookie and a biscuit, they should be fine.

This link might be useful if you are wondering what the difference between a biscuit and a cookie is: http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2014/05/biscuit-vs-cookie/

Oh, and don't tell a Scotsman that he's English or you might get a smack round the head. O_o I've noticed that a lot of Americans think that the UK is all England when in fact it's England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Dost thou Luna approve of thee royal way of speaketh

This topic is nuts! I speak Australian English, which is essentially English UK as it would appear in a choose your preferred language option.

I detest Google, Microsoft and all their affiliates because they try to correct me when I type original English correctly. I hate spelling colour "color" or the computer trying to tell me how to spell like a darn yank.

I speak the King's English! (Not the President's English)

shrub, a tree (that is a stretch)

A shrub is actually a bush not a tree.
  • Brohoof 2

American English. "Zed" just pisses me off and it's annoying to me that they pronounce the H in herb and herbal. It's silent unless it's a name. (not to mention it's apparently closer to the original French pronunciation.)