Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

american english v. british english

Zyrael

@StormBlaze a cracker is hard, crunchy, sold in a box. Biscuits are fluffy, fresh baked, usually warm. I just saw that wikipedia calls a cracker a type of biscuit.

i think you're talking about a scone which should only ever be eaten with JAM FIRST THEN CREAM ON TOP! The true Cornish way. 

• Brohoof 1

Badly phrased title

It's not about 'American English v. British English' but rather the question of 'American English OR British English'

It's all the same language anyway

Edited by Swinton
  • Brohoof 1

I'm Welsh and use a lot of British/Welsh slang. I also spell things Britishly. "Color" without the U looks so weird to me.

It depends. I prefer using biscuits. Cookies sounds too childish, besides it translates to cake here for some odd reason even though its not friggin cake. But due to being brainwashed by movies as a kid i am mostly used to American English.

But i am used to colour instead of color. I blame GameBoy Colour for that.

The GameBoy Color was spelt without a U.

51l1okbfkuL._SY445_.jpg

(Yeah, not using a U in this post is really bothering me lol)

Edited by Member Berry

The british pronunciation of advertisement also annoys me. Silent Es change the pronunciation of words. This is common knowledge and they teach this to kids early in school.

I've always had a thing for brittish english honestly. When I started to teach myself english I really focussed on trying to get that accent but it's hard since you also need to use the brittish words to really make it believable, and those words are less commonly heard on TV since most shows here are from the USA and they talk american english and not brittish. so now I talk with a brittish accent and I use american words XD oh well, I'll get it right eventually :P

point is, nothing wrong with american english but personally, I really enjoy the sophisticated and sometimes a bit stuck up sound of brittish english ^~^

I like a bit of both. There are cases where I do prefer the British way of saying things but in general I prefer American simply because it's much more lazy and less fancy.

...but seriously though muricans, it's pyjamas, jeez.

...and brits, stop calling your chips "crisps" and your fries chips. It's so confusing.

I live in the U.S and speak American English, but I myself prefer British English. I think it's far more pleasant to listen to, it sounds proper and I also find it cute. I think British English is superior to American English completely.

AE  "Sidewalk" vs BE "Pavement"

AE "Maybe" vs BE "Perhaps"

AE "Don't we" vs BE "Haven't we"

A lot of American people have told me that the part of the English language they have the most trouble with is slang. There are so many slang terms as well as ones which have different meanings in America. XD So, to the Americans here, this should help. British English term is in bold, translation is in normal. :P

Get stuffed/Naff off.

Go away.

You numpty!

You idiot!

Going to watch the footy.
Going to watch soccer.

That's pants.

That's not very good.

You're gonna get a bunch of fives in a minute.

You're going to get a punch in the face.

It's all gone Pete Tong.

It's all gone wrong.

He's a couple of cans short of a six pack.

He's not very clever.

She's as mad as a box of frogs.

She's crazy.

Spend a penny.

Use the bathroom.

We're going out on the lash tonight.

We're going out to party.

I'm skint.

I have no money.

It's parky/brass monkeys out.

It's cold.

That girl down the road is a right chav.

That girl who lives nearby is trailer trash.

He's a total anorak.

He's a nerd.

Having a chinwag.

Having a gossip.

Chunder fountain.

Someone being sick.

Ta.

Thanks.

She thinks she's all that and a bag of chips.

She thinks she's someone very special. (Chances are that she's not.)

The cat's whiskers/the mutt's nuts/the bee's knees.

Something is the very best.

I'll give you a tinkle/give you a bell.

I'll give you a call.

She's a total minger.

She's ugly.

He was talking nineteen to the dozen.

He was talking at a fast rate.

That's mint.

That's perfect.

Belt up/Shut your piehole/Put a sock in it.

Shut up.

Budge up.

Move up and make some space. (For example, if you want to sit down.)

Have a butchers.

Have a look.

He got done by the old Bill and ended up doing time at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

He was arrested by the police and ended up being put in prison.

I'll give you a knuckle sandwich.

I'll give you a punch in the face.

She tells a lot of porkies.

She tells a lot of lies.

She's stroppy/having a bit of a strop.

She's in a temper.

Feel free to add any more you would like translated. XD

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

British english is the original English language so everything we say is correct. 

Technically 'english' is descended from the normans and william the conqueror so only the french speak true English. Or the dead germanic tribes before the anglo-saxons. 

Guys, remember that a language belongs to the cultures it is used by. Even if it originated in your location, by no means are your pronunciations more 'correct' than others.

Edited by Zyrael
  • Brohoof 1

Technically 'english' is descended from the normans and william the conqueror so only the french speak true English. Or the dead germanic tribes before the anglo-saxons.

Err, no it didn't. English is a mix of Gaelic, Latin and the various Nordic languages brought by the Angles and Saxons when they settled in the north. The frogs speak french, which is more a mix of Latin and Gallic, not 'true English' at all. If anything, Latin is 'true English' in the modern sense because we use Latin characters. William the conqueror was french, so he spoke french, but none of the general populace adopted it, sticking with English. Indeed, the royal family continued to speak french for another 200 years.

brits, stop calling your chips "crisps" and your fries chips. It's so confusing.

And how the bloody hell am I supposed to go up the chippy if I can't say go up the chippy? 'Go up the Friesy' just doesn't have the same ring to it. :D

Also, fish and fries sounds like something an uncultured American would eat. :-P Can't have a proper pint of thatcher's with that, now can you?

Edited by ForthEorl
  • Brohoof 2

Err, no it didn't. English is a mix of Gaelic, Latin and the various Nordic languages brought by the Angles and Saxons when they settled in the north. The frogs speak french, which is more a mix of Latin and Gallic, not 'true English' at all. If anything, Latin is 'true English' in the modern sense because we use Latin characters. William the conqueror was french, so he spoke french, but none of the general populace adopted it, sticking with English. Indeed, the royal family continued to speak french for another 200 years.

That was a joke my friend. Clearly, you're aware that latin and french influenced the english language, or made it. Norman french seeped into the language gradually, over time. My point being that you (for example) can't call people who speak latin in italy more 'correct' than someone speaking latin in germany.

Languages change over time, and are created and influenced by many cultures, places, and people. So, even though the french language was born in france, those speaking french in former french colonies aren't speaking inferior french. 

• Brohoof 1

I kinda wonder what would happen if you went to culinary school and called a cookie a biscuit. By culinary definition they're two completely different things.

They would probably tell you to go make some cookies and gravy :proud:

• 2 weeks later...

I mix the two all the time. I probably sound more American than British, I spell most words without the extra 'u', but in some cases I prefer the British words over the American ones. I guess I like English accents more than American ones too, now that I think about it. Oh, and Australian as well. And Irish and Scottish.

• Brohoof 1

I use both English and Americanisms in my writing. I don't usually use the extra 'U' but I do prefer spelling 'grey' over the American 'gray.' In terms of theater vs theatre, I use both depending on my mood. I do love the English spoken accent, I only wish I could incorporate that into the written word. So lovely!  :proud:

• Brohoof 1

Seeing as I'm American, it only makes sense I prefer my native form of English opposed to a foreign version... Hell I even like to poke fun a British English at times. I will purposely read colour as "co-lo-our", same goes with other words that are spelled differently.

Whatever the british say, I still think the british accent is so quaint and.. "sexy" compared to others.

I speak with a portuguese accent, does that count too? People say I sound british even though I think I have a midland american accent.

I also love how the aussie accent sounds as well.

Edited by - Baby Squirwell -

I have been taught what we call "General-English", but it leans more to the American-English, There is some British words preferred, Like for example, I use Autumn more than I use Fall (at least I have understood that autumn is more British way.). 

But how I say them...well... neither really, sure, I pronounce lot of words right but Finnish accent-thing...We call it "Rally-English". Although, I don't speak in "Rally-English" too much....mostly.  And when it comes to words I do pronounce right, it also changes from British to American and back, depending on the words. 

Edited by The Cerberus