Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'bad' words

Zyrael

hate is sooo losely defined in todays socitiy any word has potenial to become a qoute on qoute "bad word" do you see my point?

im not dening the exsitance of bad words but interpattion is key to understand this problem.

of course not everyone thinks alike Billy bob next door could define magic as bad.

while Johnny joe down the block defines the word punch as bad

but that's not the case 50% of the time

in todays world if someone gets their feelings hurt that word no matter how harmless it may be like the word jug somebody whines and that word is now bad

Edited by Nightshroud
  • Brohoof 1

any word can be used in the wrong context,

how short your fuse is also comes into play here some people you say anything it doesn't have to be an insult to set them off

while others  It takes longer to  them set off or it won't bug them at all.

words have as much power as people give them

i do agree certain words shouldn't be said there are people who frankly my dear don't give a damn

Edited by Nightshroud

"Fudge" and "Fuck" are used in the same way and mean the same thing. Bad words don't exist, some words just get a label that gets interpreted as being improper for polite society.

In the case of children using them, the punishment should be based on context if there is to be one at all. For the sake of ease it's often easiest for children to be taught that "swearing" is bad so that other children and their parents don't make a deal out of it making life harder for the one who started it all.

• Brohoof 4

None. Getting outside my body has widened my perception, so is not possible to judge without feeling hypocritical.

Regarding the notion of my conscious entity, beyond this living being.

Nothing is bad, nothing is good. There's no perceptual fear.

Because I don't see the world through subjective eyes.

Everything has reason for being, beyond my being.

For me, it is all about context. For society in general, it couldn't care less about context. Some people get insanely offended by just hearing the words regardless o how they are used and that is when I think it is going overboard. Hearing some 'bad' word isn't the end of the world.

• Brohoof 1

Every word can be used in a vulgar, demeaning way in multiple languages. Communication is bad. Words are all bad. We shall all use guttural noises instead of words from now on!

I'm word-kin and I'm offended by your guttural noises.

• Brohoof 2

Im not from america so that american obsesion for the "bad" words and being totally drama queens about them intrigues me a lot and im so curious about everyones opinions 

from i grow up its so weird to know that instead of just saying a word they say "n word" "f word" etc. its surreal  :o_o:

also the "n word" confuses me a lot. aaaaaaa lot. why some people from certain ethnicity can use it and others no? if its a bad word should be used by nobody. or if someone uses it maybe means that is not that bad if its used wihout bad intentions so everyone should say it? its really so weird to me

I know from where america comes from and is build so viewing it like i can understand some fuss. but still feels weird. 

would like to know german's opinion about the use of "nazi" and some other words. and compare their reaction to the american ones.

but i must to say that i have been years on tumblr (so american centrist) so maybe i have only seen the exaggerated face of this issue anyways, i dont know  :adorkable:  its nice to read here some other opinions than differ for the mainstream tumblr voice haha

Edited by Tropico

I dont see a need to sensor most words even when talking to others, including the C word but I do think there is a big difference between swearing WITH someone and swearing TO someone. When you swear to someone you're likely to get a five fingered argument.

Also my mom never let me say pissed or titty :sunbutt:

None whatsoever. Everyone is free to say what they want in my view, even though there is one word I avoid using as a swear word, which is 'kanker', the Dutch word for cancer. Still doesn't bother me when other people use it, though.

Why, as everyone knows, I'm a fragile little snowflake that can't handle the tiniest ounce of krass language, 'cause then I get triggered. Somebody coddle me.  :(

should a person be punished for saying them?

Those of us in America settled that issue 228 years ago when we enacted the Constitution, but ironically I'm sure a lot of Americans today would vastly prefer living in North Korea instead. Language control can fuck a razor.

Moral relativism tends to define people's perception of profanity these days, but I disagree. I also disagree that morality is relative. I used to use profanity a lot in the past, and I strongly regret it. It's not a good or constructive way to express yourself. At best, it's bland and empty, just riding the profanity bandwagon. At worst it's hateful, hurtful and disgusting.

Words considered profanity came to be considered as such for a reason. Whether they are scatalogical, sexually-oriented, crude, angry or hateful, they are just indecent, unnecessary, and uncreative. If you need profanity to emphasize your point, you're not writing or speaking creatively enough. Normalizing and furthermore promoting vulgar discourse comes out of the same corrupt ideologies that fuel things like much of modern "art," the same ideologies that try to sell the lies of moral relativism.

I'm not offended by profanity because I've heard it all and then some, but profanity is something I will never again enjoy, support, or partake in.

• Brohoof 3