Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'bad' words

Zyrael

Words aren't bad. The context in which they are used is bad, like the way many have said before me in this post.

Even when it comes to racial slurs. When referring to the words there should be nothing wrong with that. Like if I was saying, "the other day on bus I heard a man call another dude wetback/[racism 1]/faggot/etc." rather than saying n-word or f-a-g-g-o-t. Like just say the word.

Besides those words I always see cursing the way Patrick in Spongebob Squarepants described them: sentence enhancers.

Cursing is the best. Seriously whoever decide that it is inappropriate to curse even though it is ok to say things like "what in the hay" even though it is basically the same thing WAS OUT OF THEIR MIND

Like instead of saying "I'm so excited!" I could say "I'M FUCKING EXCITED" Sounds much better and really gets the feeling I want out. Curse words just have such a crisp sound. They're like the crunchy food of words. SHIT! Just feels and sounds good.

Edited by Misscellanio
  • Brohoof 1

Swear words don't bother me that much since they're such common fare these days, but bad words are still bad words in my book. I mean they were and still in some cases are taboo for good reason. It's just a shame society has degraded so badly that the average joe is so desensitized to foul language that they not only don't blink an eye to it but they themselves can't go two sentences either in text or in tongue without dropping f-bombs or the like. I don't worry about it too much because in this day and age there's a myriad of more pressing concerns weighing on humanity, but fact is the way people talk today and the kind of language used in today's cinema and music etc. just wouldn't have flown decades ago, and it's a sad shame really when you think about how badly morality continues to decline on a nigh on daily basis. Today's kids talk like sailors with little repercussions for it when yesterday's kids got their mouths washed out with soap for cursing. Not saying the soap idea was good or not but point is people just don't care anymore. Our standards have crumbled and decayed.

And context only matters with words like "hell" that have a biblical, non-vulgar other meaning but the word is used in hateful connotations as well thus it still qualifies as a "bad word" in many cases, albeit an extremely mild one.

• Brohoof 2

And context only matters with words like "hell" that have a biblical, non-vulgar other meaning but the word is used in hateful connotations as well thus it still qualifies as a "bad word" in many cases, albeit an extremely mild one.

I'm not sure I agree with that concept. Context is always important with any word, not just swear words. Context is fundamental to communication, and without it we couldn't share thoughts at all. It's also not limited to the Bible. Bitch and cunt both have secondary, somewhat completely unrelated definitions than a unpleasant woman. Same for cock, ass, and even fuck. Once again, context always matters.

• 2 years later...
(edited)

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad word, but rather, the context in which a word is used. If you use a word to hate or be offensive on somebody...that's when it's bad. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt