Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Civ mixing help

Steel Accord

So I have an original setting I'm making into an eventual series. (Webcomic is the intention at the moment.) The main idea, at least on the surface, is that each country is two real world counterpart nations fused together. Thing is, I've been trying to go with two cultures that aren't outwardly similar but actually have a lot in common beneath the surface. So the major superpower of the setting, the Leone Empire, being a mix of the Roman Empire and medieval Britain strikes me as the least creative of them. Of course there's overlap, Britain was a Roman colony!

So let me pool you guys. What would make a good combo with the Roman Empire at its height or Medieval England? Preferably a culture that Rome had no extensive contact with.

The following don't count because they're already being used:

-Imperial China

-Ancient Egypt

-Feudal Japan

-Viking Norway

Throwing this one out there just because I never see it used, the Aksumite Empire. While I suppose it doesn't fit "didn't have extensive contact with rome" as they were pretty key in trade with Rome, they're rarely mentioned as such, being by far the least often noted of the great powers of the time (along with Persia, Rome, and China)

Even if they wouldn't make a great fit with Rome, they're one I'd love to see used in general.

As far as similarities go, one comes to mind right away, Emperor Constantine and Emperor Ezana, both ruling polytheistic empires until both converting to Christianity and massively changing their empires because of it. (A mere 2-3 years difference in when they converted, too!)

Edited by Brosparkles
  • Brohoof 1

Throwing this one out there just because I never see it used, the Aksumite Empire. While I suppose it doesn't fit "didn't have extensive contact with rome" as they were pretty key in trade with Rome, they're rarely mentioned as such, being by far the least often noted of the great powers of the time (along with Persia, Rome, and China)

Even if they wouldn't make a great fit with Rome, they're one I'd love to see used in general.

As far as similarities go, one comes to mind right away, Emperor Constantine and Emperor Ezana, both ruling polytheistic empires until both converting to Christianity and massively changing their empires because of it. (A mere 2-3 years difference in when they converted, too!)

You make a good point in using perhaps African based nations other than Egypt. Maybe I should change the criteria to "was never conquered by Rome" rather than had no contact since it would broaden the scope a bit with civilizations that were different enough.

You make a good point in using perhaps African based nations other than Egypt. Maybe I should change the criteria to "was never conquered by Rome" rather than had no contact since it would broaden the scope a bit with civilizations that were different enough.

I just think that a lot of African powers are under-represented, so they could add an interesting empire a bit out of the norm. (And also because I play a lot of Ethiopia in Europa Universalis 4...) as far as other African powers go, Carthage comes to mind (but not with Rome, punic wars makes that a pretty big no.) Ghana, or for a medieval civilization, Mali or Songhai, though they probably wouldn't make great picks for your current issue. Indian empires such as The Mauryans (Interactions with the Greeks, but not so much with the Romans.) could be interesting as well.

Edited by Brosparkles
  • Brohoof 1