Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronycon looking to expand to Pokémon.

Slashy

http://www.horse-news.net/2017/02/bronycon-no-longer-pony-con.html

Really stupid, I don't see who would bother going to this event when there are several larger Pokémon centric events and if not that you'll have your needs met at most major gaming conventions. Also I doubt Pokémon content creators are going to bother going to a pony convention in the first place.

• Brohoof 3

It's not necessarily a bad thing. Sure, BronyCon is the biggest of the pony conventions, but it doesn't help to diversify. There was a bit of a drop-off in attendance in 2016 when compared to 2015, and it's hard to tell how long the brony fandom will remain as big as it has been. In the end, when it comes to long-term survival, it can only mean good things in the end. Plus, when I was at BronyCon last year there plenty there in either Pokemon or video-game related cosplay, so the potential is there.

• Brohoof 1

It's not necessarily a bad thing. Sure, BronyCon is the biggest of the pony conventions, but it doesn't help to diversify. There was a bit of a drop-off in attendance in 2016 when compared to 2015, and it's hard to tell how long the brony fandom will remain as big as it has been. In the end, when it comes to long-term survival, it can only mean good things in the end. Plus, when I was at BronyCon last year there plenty there in either Pokemon or video-game related cosplay, so the potential is there.

Then stop being Bronycon, and be an all geek culture con.

Then stop being Bronycon, and be an all geek culture con.

There's really no need for them to go that far just yet. The main focus is still going to be pony-related, and that is, for the time being, going to be the heart and soul of the convention. They aren't going all out just yet; just dipping their toes in the proverbial pond. :)

There's really no need for them to go that far just yet. The main focus is still going to be pony-related, and that is, for the time being, going to be the heart and soul of the convention. They aren't going all out just yet; just dipping their toes in the proverbial pond. :)

But Pokemon fans will go to a convention that is going to cater more towards their needs or go to a convention that covers gaming/anime in general. It is common sense.

• Brohoof 1

I am sorry, but i have to agree with Slashy here. What's the point of being a bronycon, if it's not all about My little pony? This for me looks like a rather cheap attempt to stay relevant.

Just my opinion

• Brohoof 6

Eventually I feel BronyCon is going to have to expand. In a few years I don't think we're gonna have many brony-focused conventions left, so organizations have to diversify in some respect. MLP isn't Star Trek or Star Wars in that they seem to have a plethora of generations of fans to live off of, and I think BronyCon recognizes this.

(edited)

Eventually I feel BronyCon is going to have to expand. In a few years I don't think we're gonna have many brony-focused conventions left, so organizations have to diversify in some respect. MLP isn't Star Trek or Star Wars in that they seem to have a plethora of generations of fans to live off of, and I think BronyCon recognizes this.

They could shrink down. The Invader Zim fandom had conventions 10 years after its show ended. Sonic still has conventions every year.

Or they can get Hasbro's approval like GIJoe Con or Botcon.

Edited by Slashy

I don't see what the big issue is here. Guys, come on. If the convention has 80% of events about my little pony, and 20% of events about other shows, its STILL going to be a pony convention. I feel the new direction was a fan choice

If you go to a "Star Trek" convention, you'll see cosplays from other scif-i shows there such as "Doctor Who", "Star Wars" & anime cosplays as well. If you go to an anime convention, you'll probably see MLP, sci-fi cosplays as well. When I was at Bronycon, I saw MLP, Pokemon, Doctor Who & Star Wars cosplays. I of course want Bronycon to keep it's main focus on pony, but have no problem with anime & sci-fi being there as well if that what it takes to keep the convention going every year. This year Bronycon & Otakon are both the same weekend which may hurt some of Bronycon's attendance,

Edited by Darthy Hooves

That's a letdown. I probably wasn't going to be able to go again but I always liked the environment of that convention. It was the first I ever went to so the memories will be special to me. The fandom might fade to a point where cons of that size will no longer be viable but there's no reason to "beat around the bush" so to speak. Pokemon and MLP have nothing in common. They aren't similar shows. They're not the same kind of animation. They don't have the same target audience. They aren't made in the same country or even the same continent. If I was a Pokemon fan, I wouldn't go to a convention still professing to focus on a completely different fandom if I'm not also a part of it.

• Brohoof 3

If you go to a "Star Trek" convention, you'll see cosplays from other scif-i shows there such as "Doctor Who", "Star Wars" & anime cosplays as well. If you go to an anime convention, you'll probably see MLP, sci-fi cosplays as well. When I was at Bronycon, I saw MLP, Pokemon, Doctor Who & Star Wars cosplays. I of course want Bronycon to keep it's main focus on pony, but have no problem with anime & sci-fi being there as well if that what it takes to keep the convention going every year. This year Bronycon & Otakon are both the same weekend which may hurt some of Bronycon's attendance,

Why would the conventions do this? This is an awful decision and hurts fans!

• Brohoof 3

That's a letdown. I probably wasn't going to be able to go again but I always liked the environment of that convention. It was the first I ever went to so the memories will be special to me. The fandom might fade to a point where cons of that size will no longer be viable but there's no reason to "beat around the bush" so to speak. Pokemon and MLP have nothing in common. They aren't similar shows. They're not the same kind of animation. They don't have the same target audience. They aren't made in the same country or even the same continent. If I was a Pokemon fan, I wouldn't go to a convention still professing to focus on a completely different fandom if I'm not also a part of it.

Same here too.

I only wanted to partake in a MLP focused convention only. That's the only reason why it appeals to me.

Why would the conventions do this? This is an awful decision and hurts fans!

Nah man. They're just getting a wider target audience, that's all. Guess who's being invited in 2019?! :D

the-milky-way.jpg

• Brohoof 1

This is pretty discerning because as an gathering of all things Pony, Bronycon shouldn't resemble with anything outside of this show and fandom. It should stay primarily focused on MLP because why even bother calling it "Bronycon" anymore if somehow other things like Pokemon or even more things should start to take hold and eventually Pony wouldn't matter anymore. What about the fans who only like to go to Pony related conventions? How do they feel about the giant Pikachu glaring at them in front of the entrance to Bronycon? Sorry but it's not good way to remain relevent or to accurately resemble what this show had built upon.

at least yall do these cons and pretty big ones! I wish spain had brony-cons ;__;

and while there is more MLP content, merch, acivities and voice actresses/writers/etc it will be always a bronycon no matter if they sell pokemon merch or do pokemon tournaments.

here we have manga-cons but they sell lots of k-pop and I dont see why shouldnt be called manga-con instead geek-con or whatever-con xD

Edited by Tropico