Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you want to live forever?

Olsen1987

Honestly, I wouldn't want to live forever...

Let me explain why.

Being alive for all eternity would carry a lot of emotional baggage with it. You'd be forced to watch those you love succumb to age and pass away, you'd be forced to endure the destruction of the Earth in around four billion years as the Sun expands into a red giant star and engulfs it. Then, after that, you'll be drifting through space aimlessly until, finally, the universe itself dies. What happens after that? Will you still exist, even though time, space, and matter no longer exist, or would you finally die, your last breath making up the final atoms of the universe as we know it?

I would live as long as possible...

Sure it might mean that my eventual death would be through a horrific accident but ...meh....Small price to pay for more years of experiencing the world

I can't imagine why anyone would want to prolong their life in this imperfect and often agonizing world. There are far too many things wrong with it. It's far from paradise so what's the big attraction? I consider a regular lifetime here far more than enough for me.

I don't really see any benefit to living forever. I do enjoy my life and all that, but, to go on forever would eventually become boring probably, add to that the usual stress of the world and everything going on and yeah, living forever is not really that good of an idea.

20 hours ago, Lance Shield said:

Being alive for all eternity would carry a lot of emotional baggage with it. You'd be forced to watch those you love succumb to age and pass away, you'd be forced to endure the destruction of the Earth in around four billion years as the Sun expands into a red giant star and engulfs it. Then, after that, you'll be drifting through space aimlessly until, finally, the universe itself dies. What happens after that? Will you still exist, even though time, space, and matter no longer exist, or would you finally die, your last breath making up the final atoms of the universe as we know it?

Gonna steal this one to explain why I've changed my mind and decided I'd actually would like to do so.

Sure the loss of close ones would hurt, but I've already lost some people. They come and go, I've learned that the hard way. I mourn, but I don't want my life to revolve around this. With time, I'd get over this. Only fear is that I'd learn not to make any new contacts as that would be pointless in long run, but I think I'm too curious to resign from this.

Now, people fear that over time everything would wither, Earth would cease. Let's say I'm left alone in the entire world, humanity is extinct. If there are animals, I'm good. There's so much I'll never be able to see in a single lifetime. So much to learn. Given time, I'd learn how to construct any kind of reliable AI, and the infrastructure for that is already on Earth. It would be abandoned. Sure, it would not substitute human relations since it would be based on my idea, but maybe time would allow me to construct something that would be capable of learning on its own and changing behaviour?

And once Earth would cease indeed, I'm pretty sure I'd have thought of a way of putting myself into coma. Controlled or not. Technically, it's clinical death. I'd either woke up... somewhere, and decide to put myself into coma again, either not wake up at all.

There are ways around immortality.

Oh, and even if world ends... it came from somewhere in the first place. There had to be matter, no matter how much condensed, in order to create all of ... this. One does not create something out of nothing.

Question is, what was it? And would I be able to fiddle in it once I discovered what it was indeed?

This is a hard one for me,

On one hand, IF a portal to Equestria was opened and IF I had even the slightest chance of being with Twily I'd want to be immortal but on the other hand, I'd have to watch my friends and family pass on

• 7 months later...

I'd pass on living forever. Within a couple centuries, I doubt there will be any dark skies left as the suburbs take over once rural areas. I would consider that hell on Earth. No thanks! :eww:

I would like to live long enough to see the 22nd century, which would put me just over 110 years old. That's gonna be tough given the health issues in my family.

It would be nice having been able to live forever or at least to be as old as Princess Celestia, but I don't even know how is my life going to be tommorow and at times, well, death doesn't sound so bad.

I can think of nothing I'd like less than being sentenced to an eternity of this mess. Life in this terrestrial cesspool does not strike me as anything close to paradise, and forever is a long time. This ball of dust in space is small and even if it were perfect, there isn't enough of it. I would never be free of it. That's not life, it's a life sentence. 

I think that I could manage it. But there is a serious trick to it. Every so often you would have to go into observer mode. Study, record your knowledge, hoard artifacts to sell for the next few hundred years. Then come out and flow with the rest of humanity again. If there is a chance to move to a new planet take it and use your hundreds of years of knowledge to guide things as best you can. In short you must be a scholar. Without that sort of mind, boredom and loss will take you apart mentally. 

Honestly, yes. I would lose my family members eventually, but I would also outlive my foes.

12 hours ago, Midnight Solace said:

I wouldn't want to live forever because MLP might be ending...And it is the only thing I live for...:(

OMG Saaame!

• Brohoof 1

I actual have a belief that all humans will live forever spiritually, that after we die physically our souls will continue on spiritually for eternity.

To answer the actual question though, I don't want to live forever physically. Death is a natural part of life. How long do I want to live then? It doesn't really matter to me, the more important question I pay attention to is what I do with the time that has been giving to me. A well-lived short life is of far more value to me than a poorly-lived long life.

• 1 year later...