Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your FIRST time being TRUELY terrified

Cirrus.

So what is your first recollection of being truly terrified in your life?

I'm talking terrified- stuff that scorches a permanent vivid memory and may cause (or may still cause) you literal nightmares. Maybe something from a movie, natural disaster, accident, warzone etc? Remember to post WHITHIN the limits of what's allowed on this forum.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS TOPIC IS RELATIVE- EVERYONE'S LIFE IS MADE OF DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES.

Anyway, what brings this up is that I finally found the unreleased full uncut version of a scene from a movie that absolutely terrified me at about 4 or 5 years old. It's the hell scene from the animated movie "All Dogs Go To Heaven." I'm Catholic and this was the first INTENSE visual conceptualization of the idea of Hell that I had ever seen... :(:blink:

***The computer screen lower quality bits were cut scenes lost for the last 28 years.***

This scene was the first thing in my life that truly terrified me. It didn't make me cry or anything, it just overloaded my 4/5 year old brain or something. I had a recurring nightmare where I was in a derivative of this scene (that I can still recall 23 years later)that I would have every once in a while for a few months. Funny thing is that this is my favorite animated movie and I used to watch it all the time as a kid. I think it also has to do why I like darker stuff and darker gangly characters like Chrysalis.

LUCKILY I had a pretty good childhood- so a scene from a movie was my first terrifying thing        .

So what are the oldest horrors tattooed into your brains?    :umad:         

• Brohoof 1

I think it was when I was sitting in front of a heater, and a large spark jumped out and started buzzing on the floor. Not kidding, it was about an inch, spherical, and on the carpet. I was only like 5 years old though. (Obviously the heater malfunctioned badly xD). The spark was being maintained by the electricity from the outlet

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 1

When I was about 11 or so on New Year's eve, right after midnight, we were scrolling through channels and fond Planted of the Apes. I think it was an older one and then a shrivelled up and mummified corpse popped up on the screen with really loud music and I freaked out and stuffed my face into a pillow. My biggest phobia back then and still is, decomposing bodies.

• Brohoof 1

Well this one time, I was at a book store with my family and over the time we were there, my brother and mom decided to go to different stores without telling me where they were going(this was at a strip mall or whatever they're called these days).  I was reading through some books when I realized that they weren't in the store anymore.  I walked to a different store that I knew my mom liked going to, didn't find her, so I walked back to the bookstore.  I thought my brother was still in the bookstore, so I searched the book store, wasn't there.  So I stand outside feeling frustrated because I wasn't sure where else they would be and I didn't have a cellphone at the time. 

This guy walks by me and says hello, I think nothing of it and I reply.  After a while of standing outside, I went back in and decided to get back to browsing books.  After a while, I felt like I was being watched and noticed that guy from earlier, watching me and doing a poor job at hiding it.  So I move around the store to lose his gaze, after a while it happened again and again and again.  I was getting pretty terrified at this point and since I didn't know where my mom was, I couldn't leave, I felt like something would have happened if I left the store(it was night time).

So I decided to go to the bathroom, thinking he wouldn't follow me in there, he even watched me go in.  I stand in the bathroom for a while, trying to calm my nerves that have been beyond frazzled at that point.  After a while, I was hoping he would become uninterested at that point so I left and there he was standing at the door.  The way he was looking at me was so. Freaking.  unnerving.  I felt frozen, he said to me, "You know, you're very beautiful."  Just the way he said it mixed with the way I felt at the time was so creepy.  I was pretty shocked at that point but he let me go by him and I immediately went up to the cashier and told them that a guy was following me around the store.  They let me stay in the employee's break room until the cops came, my mom eventually showed up when she was wondering where I was.  When I described the man to the police they said that the female employees have troubles with the guy, apparently this wasn't his first time pulling this crap in the store.  Doesn't really help that the store has no security cameras, I was 13 at the time...  So yeah, most terrified I'd ever been.

Edited by Thuja
  • Brohoof 2

when I'm 26 year i want to this one ride and then I realized how far off the ground I was. I never thought I would be scare of height..how disappointing. 

• Brohoof 1

Lets see here. I watch hour long extremely scary youtube videos in pitch darkness. I get

something to eat and drink. I get bored when the scares take too long to come.

I find jumpscares to be boring if not done right. I immerse myself within the paranormal

and find it thrilling.

So its a definitive big nothing. Why cause I understand it not to fear it.   

Edited by Unovas
  • Brohoof 1

oh plenty of times, from the car almost blowing me up to just flying a plane for the first time, but if I go back the tell tail heart animated short cartoon on the first hellboy dvd I saw when I was...8?....6?....it didn't help it was about 2 am in the morning.

• Brohoof 1

Well it was probably back when I was 7 years old. I was in bed and had randomly woken up at 1AM to go to the toilet but I froze when I heard two sets of footsteps outside in the backyard. I could also here them muttering to each other and they sounded like teenagers. I then heard them knock on the window roller shutter on the back glass door before saying something like let's go before they notice us before jumping the side gate to get into the front yard and run away into the night. What was even more disturbing is that these two teens where harassing us at home as they kept coming back every second night and they were pulling up the the front of our house during the day to have a look and then rocket off down the street and they were doing this for over three months and we did get the police involved but they never were able to find out who the teens where. But still they would of likely broken in if it wasn't for us haveing roller window shutters on every single glass window in the house and who knows if they were armed or not. :)

• Brohoof 1

When i was 10 i heard some people talking outside my house. When I opened the shade a little bit i saw a guy get shot in front of my house. Because of that i have a little ptsd whenever i hear a sudden pop or banging noise

• Brohoof 2

My earliest memories are from about 4 and I think thats where my first major "scare" happened. My mother, younger sister and I were in an old department store near our house and we were going to the 2nd floor so we decided to use the elevator. The whole way the elevator creaked and shook and the doors took forever to open. From then on I developed a horrible fear of being trapped inside an elevator that to this day, 25 years later I still have a slight twinge when using elevators alone. This of course happened because my mom would tell me stories of people being stuck in an elevator and it freaked me out so much for years I refused to use the elevator anywhere and would only go up and down escalators. It got to the point to where when we had to use elevators my mom would immediately point out the "call" button to me so I wouldnt freak out so much. Even in my teens as it largely went away my mom still had the habit of pointing out the call buttons whenever we went on an elevator together.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This thing. THIS. THING. Has stayed with me ever since I was a child, so much so that I still sometimes have nightmares about it.

I LOVE Courage the Cowardly dog! Thank goodness I was 11 when the show came out so I really didn't find it that scary. The song from that episode is great though ^_^

A LOT of people were terrified of that CGI King Ramses guy as a kids though. The funny thing is that the show's creator does the voice.

Edited by Cirrus.

It was probably that time when I was really young and suddenly felt quite sharp pain in my chest while home alone. I was too scared to move or anything so I just kind of sat there in silence frightened, chest aching, just hoping it would go away soon even though I believed I was having a heart attack at the moment. It was such a terrifying experience that I couldn't tell anyone, just to make sure no one could confirm it as any sort of a heart problem.  :o_o:

That's also probably one of the reasons why I have nightmares about having to go to heart surgery or something similar rather often.

I think I was 7 or 8 during summer vacation, when I first saw a Freddy Krueger film on TV late at night. I was so scared I couldn't force myself to climb to my bed that night. I fell asleep in the living room with my eyes open. They hurt like hell for a while afterwards lol

My first time being truly terrified was when I went to 'House of Phobia' for the first time XD I was screaming like a crazy person and I've never been so scared in my entire life XD 

Well I dont scare easily these days but the first time I can recall I felt truly terrified was when I first watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I was about 2 or 3 at the time. It is the scene where Judge Doom gets run over and reveals that he is actually a toon. That scene still kinda creeps me out to this day.

Edited by PrincessOfCompassion
  • Brohoof 2

Well this one time, I was at a book store with my family and over the time we were there, my brother and mom decided to go to different stores without telling me where they were going(this was at a strip mall or whatever they're called these days).  I was reading through some books when I realized that they weren't in the store anymore.  I walked to a different store that I knew my mom liked going to, didn't find her, so I walked back to the bookstore.  I thought my brother was still in the bookstore, so I searched the book store, wasn't there.  So I stand outside feeling frustrated because I wasn't sure where else they would be and I didn't have a cellphone at the time. 

This guy walks by me and says hello, I think nothing of it and I reply.  After a while of standing outside, I went back in and decided to get back to browsing books.  After a while, I felt like I was being watched and noticed that guy from earlier, watching me and doing a poor job at hiding it.  So I move around the store to lose his gaze, after a while it happened again and again and again.  I was getting pretty terrified at this point and since I didn't know where my mom was, I couldn't leave, I felt like something would have happened if I left the store(it was night time).

So I decided to go to the bathroom, thinking he wouldn't follow me in there, he even watched me go in.  I stand in the bathroom for a while, trying to calm my nerves that have been beyond frazzled at that point.  After a while, I was hoping he would become uninterested at that point so I left and there he was standing at the door.  The way he was looking at me was so. Freaking.  unnerving.  I felt frozen, he said to me, "You know, you're very beautiful."  Just the way he said it mixed with the way I felt at the time was so creepy.  I was pretty shocked at that point but he let me go by him and I immediately went up to the cashier and told them that a guy was following me around the store.  They let me stay in the employee's break room until the cops came, my mom eventually showed up when she was wondering where I was.  When I described the man to the police they said that the female employees have troubles with the guy, apparently this wasn't his first time pulling this crap in the store.  Doesn't really help that the store has no security cameras, I was 13 at the time...  So yeah, most terrified I'd ever been.

That's horrible. :( *hugs* I'm glad everything turned out okay.

Like a user above me said, i don't recall ever being terrified... ever. I've been startled and worried before, but never what i would call terrified. I've even had people when i was a kid try and play scare pranks on me with no success. Honestly it is an issue that has gotten me into trouble in the past.

It was probably that time when I was really young and suddenly felt quite sharp pain in my chest while home alone. I was too scared to move or anything so I just kind of sat there in silence frightened, chest aching, just hoping it would go away soon even though I believed I was having a heart attack at the moment. It was such a terrifying experience that I couldn't tell anyone, just to make sure no one could confirm it as any sort of a heart problem.  :o_o:

That's also probably one of the reasons why I have nightmares about having to go to heart surgery or something similar rather often.

It sounds like it could have been growing pains. I used to get random pains in my ribs when I was a kid and younger teen.

I guess the first time I was truly scared is when I first experienced sleep paralysis..I heard a woman screaming, was finding it hard to breathe since my face was in the pillow at an odd angle and I couldn't move. Still happens every now and then but only when I'm exhausted.

• Brohoof 1

Though I don't remember the exact moment when it happened. The first time my dad hit me when I was younger was probably the first I ever experienced true terror. I was terrified of him.

• Brohoof 2