Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your FIRST time being TRUELY terrified

Cirrus.

First time being really terrified was probably reading "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" when i was in first grade. I hated reading so i would only read stuff that was really interesting and i love horror. I was genuinely terrified with the story about the chair in the basement. I was scared of my basement so whenever i heard a random bang i would get scared out of my mind

it didn't help that my house when i was little was haunted. But the ghosts were nice. My mom tells me that she misses the house and the nice ghosts. I do too.

So what is your first recollection of being truly terrified in your life?

I'm talking terrified- stuff that scorches a permanent vivid memory and may cause (or may still cause) you literal nightmares. Maybe something from a movie, natural disaster, accident, warzone etc? Remember to post WHITHIN the limits of what's allowed on this forum.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS TOPIC IS RELATIVE- EVERYONE'S LIFE IS MADE OF DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES.

Anyway, what brings this up is that I finally found the unreleased full uncut version of a scene from a movie that absolutely terrified me at about 4 or 5 years old. It's the hell scene from the animated movie "All Dogs Go To Heaven." I'm Catholic and this was the first INTENSE visual conceptualization of the idea of Hell that I had ever seen... :(:blink:

Being someone that has never really believed in the concept of hell even as a kid, I can still say that scene is f***ing crazy.

This might not be the absolute first time, but I remember it clear as day. I was really young, probably like 4 years old and I was playing at McDonald's in one of those big awesome play thingies. However, it had one of those rope bridge things near the top and for some reason, probably my fear of heights, I was essentially motionless once I got on that as is terrified me. Took several people to help me down from there because I just couldn't move because of fear. That type of fear sticks with me to this day.

• Brohoof 1

I was watching a video and I felt a great mix of sadness and horror, and not the thrilling kind of horror. Replaced my neutral feelings with negative feelings for a week. The content made me mostly feel sad, but I was also greatly terrified as well.

Well, I'm sure I was terrified as a kid several times but the only ones I remember is a very loud thunder when I was in Columbus, and roughly the same time, at the  Universal Studios' Twister attraction

As a teen, I got into a pretty bad fight to some assholes in the street. Had to hide and call my mom to protect me from them. That was traumatizing

As an adult, my mom's surprise visit (she was supposed to come two days later), because I knew I was going to return to my former hellish getho slum

And now one for humor:

Time Shield's (https://mlpforums.com/user/28333-time-shield/) fan game Twilight Escape. The main threat in that game, a dark miasma that chases you. That thing is terrifying, so FUCKING TERRIFYING, THAT THE FIRST TIME IT SHOWED UP, I CLOSED THE GAME OUT OF PANIC :D  . Seriously, no other videogame NOPES scared me so much that made me quit the game  ^_^ . That's why I call it: "Mister NOPE"  :-P

My first time would be where I got a coin stuck in my throat and I was choking to death. If my parents had been out or something--thankfully they weren't--I'd have probably died. I used to suck on coins because I was obsessed with it but after that particular incident, I've never done it since.

• Brohoof 1

My first time would be where I got a coin stuck in my throat and I was choking to death. If my parents had been out or something--thankfully they weren't--I'd have probably died. I used to suck on coins because I was obsessed with it but after that particular incident, I've never done it since.

Any kind of breathing impairment is instant nightmare fuel to me. Like the thought of drowning scares the crap outta. Its not even the "death" that scares me but the lasting pain and mental horror that goes through your mind during it is what scares me. I've choked on things before too and once when I was alone it was the most harrowing 20 seconds on my life. The idea of being all alone choking and not having anyone to help for me is probably my biggest fear.

• Brohoof 3

I remember being terrified of talking/laughing Halloween dolls and figures inside of stores as a toddler.

• Brohoof 1

Though I don't remember the exact moment when it happened. The first time my dad hit me when I was younger was probably the first I ever experienced true terror. I was terrified of him.

I'm so, so sorry that you had to go through that.

----

I can't remember the first time was terrified; I've lived in mortal terror of many things over the course of my life.

I've suffered from severe separation anxiety, a fear of the apocalypse, an unnaturally strong fear of tornadoes, arachnophobia, and so on...and on...and on.

I'm so, so sorry that you had to go through that.

----

I can't remember the first time was terrified; I've lived in mortal terror of many things over the course of my life.

I've suffered from severe separation anxiety, a fear of the apocalypse, an unnaturally strong fear of tornadoes, arachnophobia, and so on...and on...and on.

Don't be sorry it's in the past. My dad hasn't hit me since I was 12. 20 years old now and if ever did try to hit me again (he has threatened) he would be taken a ride down to the police station. :D

• Brohoof 1

Any kind of breathing impairment is instant nightmare fuel to me. Like the thought of drowning scares the crap outta. Its not even the "death" that scares me but the lasting pain and mental horror that goes through your mind during it is what scares me. I've choked on things before too and once when I was alone it was the most harrowing 20 seconds on my life. The idea of being all alone choking and not having anyone to help for me is probably my biggest fear.

I may not suck on coins anymore, but I do have other fears that make me a nervous wreck everywhere I go. They come in the form of visions that make it hard for me to sleep at night as well as function during the day.

Let's see, the first one I remember was one time on vacation in one of those bungalow tents with built-in stoves. Whatever my mom was making caught fire in the pan and I ran outside yelling that the tent was on fire. Of course, it wasn't, but I was about four at the time.

After that any situation involving me being terrified has either been related to dogs (which I'm no longer afraid of), needles (which I dislike to this day but no longer fear), and roller coasters (which I still hate with every fiber of my being and I will never go into one ever again).

Funnily enough, the one time I probably should have feared for my life, that feeling was more of a background thought. I was on my paper round one morning when I reached the library. The library itself had a kind of alcove, with the mailbox located near the right angle where the walls met. I'd just slid the paper through when I turned around and saw a guy approaching holding a bread knife in his hand, who was heading straight for me. There really wasn't anywhere I could go so I got a bit nervous. In the back of my head there was a part of me that thought 'I'm done for', a larger part of me that was assessing how much damage he could hope to do in a single swing and how I would block it, and the majority of me thought 'let's just see where this goes'. By this point, the guy is in front of me and I can smell the alcohol around him. This is the conversation we had:

Guy with knife: "Hey dude, have you seen a wallet around here?"

Me: "Uh, what?" (I figured he was going to demand mine so this came out of nowhere)

GWK: "Yeah, man, I lost my wallet somewhere around here and there's a lot of money in it so I was hoping you'd seen it."

Me: "Nope, sorry, didn't see it."

GWK: "Oh, okay then." *Fistbumps me with the hand holding the knife and walks off*

GWK: "If you do see it somewhere just turn it in to the police, there's a lot of money in it."

To this day I still wonder why this guy was holding a knife while ostensibly looking for his own wallet.

• Brohoof 1

Being truly terrified...I was about 13 at the time and I saw a horror movie on tv that freaked me and my sister out so bad we slept in our parents bed for the night because we were too scared to sleep alone.

• Brohoof 1

First dive to 165' in dive school. Walking on the bottom of Lake Washington outside of Seattle in 3 feet of mud in absolute darkness which we call "black water". Think of it like turning off all the lights in your house in the middle of the night, go into your room, close the door, go into your closet, shut that door, and cover your eyes. I was completely alone underwater in an unforgivable environment with creatures that I can't see at all.

My first time being scared was when I was 5. I had a nightmare that a giant orange dog kept me in a cage and wanted to eat me (yeah, kids and their dreams XD ) and I was so scared I woke up screaming my lungs out :P

When I was little (about 6) I remember seeing an old rerun episode of the show 'Kung Fu' from the '70s and there was a weird dream sequence where a woman started speaking in a guttural, growling voice, "Get out of here before I rip your heart out!" and I freaked. I absolutely lost it and ran out of the room crying. It wasn't so much scary as weird, and the weird stuff is what still upsets me even today (even though I'm pretty much over the Kung Fu episode).  :orly:

I was never very fond of store mannequins either, especially the headless ones. They used to give me nightmares.  :pout:

The astral faced me with my worst fears, so I could reintegrate those aspects, which were dissociated myriads of my entire family.

Being involved on an heritage of traumatic deaths along my genealogic tree, many perceptions distorted themselves beyond recognition.

To do so, also retrieved the karmic experience, which caused eleven persons in this family to develop an accelerated form of cancer.

Experience being reintegrated to the purposely forgetful owners thereof, those who caused harm to my native ancestry.

When the time comes to face the past, I descend into the depths of my own consciousness. To wake myself up.

I owe it to those who suffered in the hands of the jesuitic branch of this family, which blood is now one.

Part of my purpose in this life, is to remember my soul family, of the reciprocal nature of creation.

Beyond forgetfulness of death, and ignorance of myself. There's me, waiting for all of me.

Edited by They call me Loyalty

I'm a badass, nothing scares me. Ever.

No, but for realsies, I've only ever been 'terrified' once in my life. When I was I think 8 or 9, my family went camping out in BC, Canada. I was sleeping in a tent with my older sister, and my parents were in the tent next to us.

A bear cub tried to get in our tent, my dad had to chase it off by banging our pots and pans together.

Edited by Colli
  • Brohoof 1

I have been terrified a couple of times in my life. 

The first thing that pops in my head is the moment where I thought I was going to be either raped or kidnapped; I was at my university campus, parking my car. I had to park it further away from the building, because at the time the entire parking lot was full to the max, so I couldn't do anything about it. I went to get out of my car, and proceeded to walk towards the building. Suddenly I hear this raspy, deep voice coming from my right, saying, "Heeelllooooo." I froze, and when I looked towards the source of the voice, there was this dude in his mid 20's or 30's, wearing a sweaty white shirt, grey pants, and he looked pale. His teeth were crooked, and he had heavy eye bags, as if he hadn't slept in months. He was smiling at me with a smile only seen in horror movies, and stood there with his head tilted. I just ran as fast as I could. When I finally got to a safe distance, I saw him run into a car; it was a grey oldsmobile car, but I just ran into the security office and reported him. Turns out that he was a sex offender that tried to kidnap a girl only two hours later, and thanks to the drawing I did of his face, they were able to capture him. 

I spent weeks having flash backs of his face, and I woke up crying and screaming in the middle of the night. Every time I closed my eyes I saw him. It was horrible, and it made me think about my entire life... it was truly life changing. My heart goes out to those that have been victims of this horrible crime. 

The most terrifying thing? Being diagnosed with Lupus. Thanks to God, I am now Lupus free. But man, it was horrible. Terrifying, scary and intense. My heart also is with those who are suffering from any type of illness because of this experience. 

These two things marked my life profoundly, so yeah... I consider them to be my most terrifying experiences.

Also, the Perfect episode from Courage the Cowardly Dog made me lose sleep for days. 

it still does

• Brohoof 2

Lets see, the first thing that truly terrified me. I was 9 years old, and I discovered a book collection my dad had (Not THAT kind!), called "Mysteries of the Unknown" by Time life books. The books each detailed theories and legends surrounding many paranormal events and activities, from Extraterrestrials and ghosts, to BigFoot and other such Monsters, to mysterious places of legend like Atlantis, and even the various creation lores, and discussion of the afterlife. The Paranormal sciences fascinated me, and I dove in to those books! 

Well, when I reached Book #20 in the collection, (Search for the Soul), which talks about the nature of the human soul, the search for God, as well as how various cultures both past and present interpret the nature of death and the afterlife, (Keep in mind too, I was very familiar with the Holy Bible, and knew of its words on heaven) I got scared, like really terrified. The gears in my head started turning, and I was starting to wonder, what really happens after we die, and I realized, we really don't know for sure, and that fact scared me so much, i threw the book down and started crying. for the next 2 weeks or so, I couldn't sleep, I was eating much less, I cried alot, it was awful! I was depressed for 2 weeks. occaisionally, I still get those doubts and questions swirl in my head from time to time, and when it happens, i still lose sleep, and I get a tightness in my chest! I know death is an inevitability, and can't be stopped, but the uncertainty gets to me sometimes. 

9 years old, and I suffered my first existential crisis. I never finished that book until last year, but mostly because the books were packed away, and my father recently gave them to me .

When I was 6 years old and realized I was mortal.

so, you found that out 3 years before I did!  

When i was 10 i heard some people talking outside my house. When I opened the shade a little bit i saw a guy get shot in front of my house. Because of that i have a little ptsd whenever i hear a sudden pop or banging noise

You witnessed a murder at 10?  :o_o: man, that's seriously messed up! something like that would terrify someone at any age! I can't imagine how terrifying that would be to a kid!  :(

Edited by Frosted Glass

I'm rarely scared, let alone terrified... but rarely doesn't mean never. This story is pretty personal, I'm not asking for your sympathy though.

I don't think I've ever told anyone this story, so it only makes sense to tell it to a bunch of strangers. I was living with my mother at the time, and her drug dealing boyfriend at the time, My step mom was taking me, and my younger sister home from an Easter party, along with my older sister who didn't live there. My older sister wanted to reclaim some of her belongings my mother wouldn't let her have. I wanted nothing to do with this so I sat in the car, and waited with my step mom. 30 minutes later they get caught by my mother, and her drug dealing boyfriend, who threaten to kill her. Both my sisters made their way back to the car and we drove off for about 20 minutes, before my mother had been texting both me, and my step mom begging for her to return me, and my younger sister. So we return, and they looked like they had calmed down... looked. As soon as they drove off, and were out of sight we were grabbed by our necks, and forced back inside the house. Despite having nothing to do with this I was being yelled at along with my sister... he threatened to break my stuff, and beat me if I didn't tell him what happened. The worst part of all is I just learned that day he owned a gun, and with how psychotic he was acting, I feared he was going to go up stairs and shoot both me, and my sister. They took my phone, but not my sister's so she called my father for help, telling him what was going on. My father drove across town with my step mother to check on us. fortunately nothing bad happened when he arrived, though he couldn't take us with him as much as we begged him to. This was 7 years ago, its hard to believe how much time has passed. As for how my mother and her now ex... My mother is in hiding having to deal with the pain of her own children hating her, and her ex got into an accident, and last I heard he was critically injured...

I remember one of the first movies I watched was the horrifying and shocking Watership Down. Somehow, I don't remember getting scared of it. It terrifies me nowadays when I rewatch it, but I don't remember being scared watching it when I was younger.

Anyway, probably the oldest memory I have of being "truely terrified" was with a PS2 game called Hugo.. or Hugo 2, can't remember very well. Whenever you lost a minigame segment you'd see this witch appear on your TV screen.

My brother used to play that game all the time and I always hid my face behind a pillow in case he died in the game. And when he did, I'd cover my eyes, ears and screamed. That witch always scared, even today I feel uneasy thinking about it.

(I might be remembering it wrong, but I know the witch scared me anyway...)

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by - Baby Squirwell -

I almost drowned once several years ago in Cuba. That's the first time I can remember truly being scared - I don't remember any bad things from my childhood.

They have a "flag" system there where green means swim, yellow means swim carefully, and red means don't swim. It was red, but there were about 50 people swimming and having a good time anyways, so we figured we'd go ahead and try anyways. It was fine, until I realized I was being pulled out farther and farther by the waves. Before long, I couldn't swim back, and the waves were crashing over my head, cutting off my air with water and pushing me under over and over again. I really thought I was going to die there. A lifeguard finally came and saved me a minute or two later - I have a picture of me with him somewhere. I don't have any lasting fears as a result of it or anything, but I'll certainly obey the rules if I ever go back!

Probably when my dad got drunk when I was really young. I want to say around five years old. I stayed with my grandma at the time and slept over at her house. When we got home I remember finding my mom on the couch sweaty, bloodied, and beaten. With my dad in the same shape. Although he was unconscious.

Let's just say my mom was a bad ass and won the fight. It was rather brutal too. The phone was ripped from the wall, a hole where it looks as though someone was thrown threw it. The toilet seat lid broken over his head.

They both had to seek medical attention. That was the last time I remember my dad drinking. There are several other accounts that could qualify for this post, but this is the one I picked.

They are both happily married now and he's a really great guy. He kicked the alcohol a long time ago.

It's just traumatizing to see your house and parents in such awful conditions after being there the night before and everything was normal. Especially since I was too young to fully understand what was happening at the time.