Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Thoughts On The Transformers IP?

OmegaBeamOfficial

So to start off on a side note, god damn It's been a long time since I've been active on these forums, glad I finally have something new to talk about, things were getting boring. So, I'm bringing this up because I saw the special Super Bowl Transformers ad thing for the 5th movie, and it left me both excited and rolling my eyes at the same time. Just to quickly gloss over this, my view of the live action movies are pretty meh. The first one's the best, second one's the worst, third and fourth were better but still not as good as the first one, that's all I'll say in detail about the movies right now, but if you wanna talk about those in particular feel free to ask, I just don't want the first post on this topic to be a 3 hour long read. But I digress, that trailer got me thinking about the Transformers IP as a whole, and I started to have questions. How are movies that are so mediocre at best still getting sequels? Is there anyone out there who enjoyed the original cartoon as much as I did, because I really don't hear many people talk about it often, if anything I find more people who hate them, specifically because of the movies usually. I figured there had to be SOME kind of fandom of it out there, because that's the only way I can explain Hasbro giving Transformers way more attention than they ever give MLP. Why is it the niche, kinda cool, but an IP that didn't seem to really catch on the IP that gets 5 blockbuster movies, a gajillion spinoffs and reboots and a sea of video games (Though saying that, I've only seen 3 that are even worth playing...) while MLP, an IP with a massive cult following, has 4 shows, one spinoff of the popular G4 and is only just getting It's first proper movie? It just seems like a strange bias, giving the less popular franchise more attention, I mean, does it make more money for Hasbro? I still don't even recall if Transformers was popular enough to warrant a big budget live action movie... But of course we should remember, Hasbro is a toy company first and tv company second, and frankly, that part Isn't even an issue, both TF and MLP get absurd amounts of toy merch because of course, that's Hasbro's main profession, it makes sense, that's why I don't really wanna focus on the toys, I wanna focus on the franchises that they built around those toys. So do you like Transformers? Is it actually some big financial gold mine for Hasbro with a massive fanbase and I've just been blind? Or did you think it was never good in the first place, or that the movies ruined it?

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial
  • Brohoof 1

I've had some experience with the franchise going back to the release of the War For Cybertron video game(since I heard surprisingly great things about it, but I only got really into the franchise recently, but I've been enjoying it a lot, I've seen a few of the shows(I still need to try the supposed best series Beast Wars, and the supposed worst the Unicron Trilogy), but I loved most of the shows I've seen(G1, Animated, Prime, and RiD2015. Right now I'd say Animated is still my absolute favorite). I've even seen a few of the movies(as far as the Bay movies go, the only one I liked was the first one), and I absolutely loved the 1986 movie(despite a few bones to pick). I'd say my favorite bits of Transformers though are some of the video games, War/Fall of Cybertron and Transformers Devastation(Platinum with giant robots, fuck yeah)

I still need to read the comics though

As far as the fandom goes, it's existed since G1, it was really popular when it first hit, and later Beast Wars and the Bay Films sort of revitalized it further. Heck the Transformers fandom(and Pokemon while I'm at it) are the reason the term "Geewunner" exists

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 2

Transformers as a series regardless of review scores and general has always been insanely profitable especially in foreign markets like China. 

Despite being called the worst film in the series, Revenge of the fallen made $836,303,693  from a budget of 200million, this is an insane profit margin, especially since that 51.9% of the income, was from foreign film markets like China. Although the movies aren't making as much as they used to, it's still a very attractive profit margin for investors and the companies behind the movie. The Term you used gold mine would be spot on ;) It's also interesting to see now how many Chinese Distribution logos are in the front of them movies. I know Age of Extinction had least 3. The Foreign market percentage has also increased tenfold, with 68.6% of a dark side of the moon coming from outside the US ( Over Half coming from Asia). For the latest film, that figure has increased even further to 77.8%.

Gold Mine For Hasbro Indeed

Their-Movie--Our-Money--transformers-668

Edited by Frozen The Unicorn
  • Brohoof 1

I've had some experience with the franchise going back to the release of the War For Cybertron video game(since I heard surprisingly great things about it, but I only got really into the franchise recently, but I've been enjoying it a lot, I've seen a few of the shows(I still need to try the supposed best series Beast Wars, and the supposed worst the Unicron Trilogy), but I loved most of the shows I've seen(G1, Animated, Prime, and RiD2015. Right now I'd say Animated is still my absolute favorite). I've even seen a few of the movies(as far as the Bay movies go, the only one I liked was the first one), and I absolutely loved the 1986 movie(despite a few bones to pick). I'd say my favorite bits of Transformers though are some of the video games, War/Fall of Cybertron and Transformers Devastation(Platinum with giant robots, fuck yeah)

I still need to read the comics though

As far as the fandom goes, it's existed since G1, it was really popular when it first hit, and later Beast Wars and the Bay Films sort of revitalized it further. Heck the Transformers fandom(and Pokemon while I'm at it) are the reason the term "Geewunner" exists

I've seen a heck of a lot of G1 which is my favourite of the bunch, I only saw a small portion of Animated when I was just a tyke so I can't really say much about it, and Prime is my second favourite series. As for the others you mentioned, I haven't seen them but I also believe there was an anime style one just subtitled Robots In Disguise that I thought was rather good. I ain't seen the old old movie, I didn't even know there was a cartoon movie until recently. As for the video games? Pal, you read my mind, those 3 games were the games I was thinking about in the first post.

Transformers as a series regardless of review scores and general has always been insanely profitable especially in foreign markets like China. 

Despite being called the worst film in the series, Revenge of the fallen made $836,303,693  from a budget of 200million, this is an insane profit margin, especially since that 51.9% of the income, was from foreign film markets like China. Although the movies aren't making as much as they used to, it's still a very attractive profit margin for investors and the companies behind the movie. The Term you used gold mine would be spot on ;) It's also interesting to see now how many Chinese Distribution logos are in the front of them movies. I know Age of Extinction had least 3. The Foreign market percentage has also increased tenfold, with 68.6% of a dark side of the moon coming from outside the US ( Over Half coming from Asia). For the latest film, that figure has increased even further to 77.8%.

Gold Mine For Hasbro Indeed

Their-Movie--Our-Money--transformers-668

Wow, those are some rather staggering numbers... Too bad they just don't put as much effort into the movies as people might hope...

I've seen a heck of a lot of G1 which is my favourite of the bunch, I only saw a small portion of Animated when I was just a tyke so I can't really say much about it, and Prime is my second favourite series. As for the others you mentioned, I haven't seen them but I also believe there was an anime style one just subtitled Robots In Disguise that I thought was rather good. I ain't seen the old old movie, I didn't even know there was a cartoon movie until recently. As for the video games? Pal, you read my mind, those 3 games were the games I was thinking about in the first post.

Wow, those are some rather staggering numbers... Too bad they just don't put as much effort into the movies as people might hope...

It really is just a money making machine now. Which is sad, but a consequence of how the studio's behind the films have total control over its artistic direction and funding for them. You can see it in a number of forced product placements and sponsorships, Hasbro has refined the machine into being able to spit out cookie cutter movies with plots designed to sell products. Although flawed the first movie attempted to have a coherent story, and wasn't entirely profit orientated, but as soon as the studios got a whiff of the potential profit, they were sold and the machine was set in motion :(

• Brohoof 1

I have just recently become a fan after binge watching Transformers Prime on Netflix, and after finishing that I decided to watch Animated. I am currently on the second season there, and planning on watch Robots in Disguise on Netflix after I finish that series. For someone more experienced in the franchise are there any other series that you would recommend me to check out?

• Brohoof 2

I have just recently become a fan after binge watching Transformers Prime on Netflix, and after finishing that I decided to watch Animated. I am currently on the second season there, and planning on watch Robots in Disguise on Netflix after I finish that series. For someone more experienced in the franchise are there any other series that you would recommend me to check out?

I still have yet to see it myself, but virtually every Transformers fan and their mothers will say Beast Wars. the 1984 cartoon is pretty fun too

• Brohoof 4

It really is just a money making machine now. Which is sad, but a consequence of how the studio's behind the films have total control over its artistic direction and funding for them. You can see it in a number of forced product placements and sponsorships, Hasbro has refined the machine into being able to spit out cookie cutter movies with plots designed to sell products. Although flawed the first movie attempted to have a coherent story, and wasn't entirely profit orientated, but as soon as the studios got a whiff of the potential profit, they were sold and the machine was set in motion :(

Wow, talk about dark and meta... I never thought the movies were the worst things ever made of course (Apart from the second one, offensive characters and crude humour, only not the good kind, the completely distasteful kind? No thanks...) but it feels like they REALLY aren't as good as they could be. And you know what's sad? I've seen the machine working on people. I said before that I didn't know that many people who really idolises the franchise, but I remember seeing the 4th movie in theatres with one of my relatives (we go to see movies every so often, It's a bit of a tradition.) and he called it one of the best movies he'd ever seen. I mean, I have respect for his opinion and all, but I really don't understand how someone can look at these movies and call them "classics" or "legendary". It doesn't offend me, It's just a little off putting.

I still have yet to see it myself, but virtually every Transformers fan and their mothers will say Beast Wars. the 1984 cartoon is pretty fun too

Pretty much exactly what Whompy said, but also the other Robots In Disguise cartoon from 2001. I know I'm not that experienced, but I figured I'd throw my tip in the hat.

I figured there had to be SOME kind of fandom of it out there, because that's the only way I can explain Hasbro giving Transformers way more attention than they ever give MLP. Why is it the niche, kinda cool, but an IP that didn't seem to really catch on the IP that gets 5 blockbuster movies, a gajillion spinoffs and reboots and a sea of video games (Though saying that, I've only seen 3 that are even worth playing...) while MLP, an IP with a massive cult following, has 4 shows, one spinoff of the popular G4 and is only just getting It's first proper movie? It just seems like a strange bias, giving the less popular franchise more attention, I mean, does it make more money for Hasbro?

I would have to take issue with pretty much everything you said here.  You seem to have got the two the wrong way around.  The two franchises have both been around for the about the same length of time, and although MLP comes and goes, Transformers has had almost constant exposure, and unlike MLP it has never faded into obscurity between generations.

I have enjoyed Transformers since issue #1 of the comic, and I am far from the only one, Transformers had always had a very strong mainstream following above and beyond its original target audience, the same cannot be said for MLP, which has only picked up an adult cult following of any size with its most recent iteration.  I enjoy FiM, and God knows I've spent enough money on merchandise, but I have only been interested in MLP since about 2013, and only because of FiM.

The popularity of Transformers over MLP lies partly in the fact that it is a much more flexible vehicle which lends itself easily to being marketed at a broader age range, as seen by the recent clutch of films which were aimed squarely at young adults but also appealed to groups either side of this.  Such a feat would be much harder for MLP to replicate.  Outside of the Brony fandom (which is not particularly significant from a marketing perspective) any MLP film will struggle to bring in viewers that aren't young girls, and the parents who have to take them to the cinema to see it.

• Brohoof 3

I was around when transformers started and have been a fan since. I've even sat through the Japanese only series, read all the comic series (including the UK stories) the mangas and spent for more money on the toyline than is honestly healthy at times. The original cartoon was great for its time, although it is horribly dated, but great if you can watch it for what it was and keep in mind the time period it came out in.

As for the movies... I did not hate the first one.. I found it pretty good for what it was... I hated the second one... the third one was ok as well.. a bit dumb at points but far better than two... and then ROTF scraped its shoe on the curb and 4 dropped off... good lord... and we have 3 more of these things to go. 5 just looks and sounds dumb to me, and I have virtually no interest in it.... it is just a simple alien robot over the top action flick series now that someone slapped the name Transformers on. I fear what 6 & 7 will be like. They keep making them because they are over the top action flicks, and even bad ones draw a crowd... just like a train wreck, everyone says they don't want to look, and yet they all do.

As others above have stated the fandom is huge (probably larger than the MLP one if you really got to counting people and getting opinions) and the movies are not going to kill that no matter how awful they get. It is definitely not just a niche fandom any more than MLP, Star Trek or Star Wars is. It is just in a semi lull right now save for the upcoming film and the ongoing comics. If they got a really good proper series going again you would see a lot more activity. Honestly I don't know how you could miss the fan base.

For someone more experienced in the franchise are there any other series that you would recommend me to check out?

Beast Wars. But be prepared. the first season is sort of slow and can take some getting used to. But season 2 and onward the show was incredible. S3 felt pretty rushed though with them trying to get Beast Machines up and running which although i liked it, was a huge let down for the fanbase, and has what is possibly the most infuriating plot line in the entire franchise to have ever been written.

Transformers has had almost constant exposure, and unlike MLP it has never faded into obscurity between generations.

Actually, in 1990 Transformers pretty much ended.. at least here in the west. It all but ground to a halt at least as far as the cartoon and toyline went. The comic continued for a couple more years and it pretty much went into hibernation until 93 when they relaunched it.. and it just failed miserably... sales were poor, and most people forget it even happened and that there was an actual G2 (including a pretty good comic that brought some new ideas to the table). It was not until 1996 that they took a gamble and started Beast Wars and gave the franchise the re-energizing it needed. Since then they have done a pretty good job keeping it relevant and releasing product to both the fans of the franchise and to those just getting started.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, in 1990 Transformers pretty much ended.. at least here in the west. It all but ground to a halt at least as far as the cartoon and toyline went.

Even when the franchise as a whole was pretty quiet there were always toys on the shelves, at least here in the UK (granted they were mostly pretty poor at that time), and the comics were still being re-released in collected formats, the cult following was always there.  Of course the franchise has had its ups and downs, they all do after all, but Transformers at its lowest point still had a presence, and although I wasn't interested in MLP I don't recall it having the same between iterations.  Admittedly, even if it did, it may very have passed me by completely and I doubt I'd have noticed.

• Brohoof 1

I've been a fan of Transformers since watching the generation one episodes as they aired on television way back in the 1980s though I will admit that the Michael Bay movies haven't appealed to me in any way nor have some of the video games. You could say that specific incarnations of the brand have my seal of approval compared with others I feel shouldn't have existed. Generation one will forever be my favourite because of nostalgia and the fact that it serves as the template that all other incarnations are based on. Beast Wars is another part of Transformers that I enjoy alongside anything related to Transformers Prime.

• Brohoof 1

To answer the questions regarding our feelings toward the franchise as a whole rather than anything business related: I love Transformers. The funny thing is, I didn't even know Beast Wars was a part of a greater continuity until Robots in Disguise (the anime) came out and then later found out about G1. I loved the original Transformers movie and was my first introduction to Unicron. Pretty sure that's also where he debuted entirely but it was a really good movie.

My best experiences with the franchise though have been the War for/Fall of Cybertron games. If you ask me, they had the right idea in multiple ways but a big one was how they treated the human element. That being "SCREW THEM!" If I want to watch giant, sentient war machines, that can transform into vehicles, weapons, and animals I don't want the central protagonist to be some scrawny little reminder of my own weakness in comparison to them! But yeah, focus on the Autobots and Decepticons and how they differ in personality, tactics, etc. fighting for the planet that's way more interesting than Earth as a setting at least for this scenario and these characters.

"You want to know . . . why they keep coming here?" Mr. Hopkins, I've heard several reasons in multiple continuities why and none of them have ever satisfied, I doubt that this one is going to.

But I don't mean to just complain about my problems because as I said I AM a fan of the franchise. Mainly because I like its mythology. How all of the components are machine and metal but so much about Cybertron is steeped in the mystical. The Allspark, the Thirteen original Primes, the Covenant of Primus. Such cosmic and maybe even divine context actually makes the struggles of the Autobots against the Decpticons seem like they mean something in the grand scheme of things outside of "Megatron is a dick, the Autobots are protecting themselves and others from his dickery." Given that grandiose lore, it just makes the punch ups, shoot outs, destruction derby awesomeness the icing on a good cake.

Of course it also helps that the heart of the franchise, Optimus Prime is one of the single most heroic and noble characters in fiction. He is the embodiment of every fundamental heroic virtue, courage, wisdom, kindness, and strength. He inspires such loyalty and devotion and for a good reason. It goes beyond treating those under his command with dignity to contrast him with Megatron's abusive leadership style, Optimus is simply a good man who has the world on his shoulders. You want to follow him out of a sense of gratitude as much as respect.

• Brohoof 1

I would have to take issue with pretty much everything you said here.  You seem to have got the two the wrong way around.  The two franchises have both been around for the about the same length of time, and although MLP comes and goes, Transformers has had almost constant exposure, and unlike MLP it has never faded into obscurity between generations.

I have enjoyed Transformers since issue #1 of the comic, and I am far from the only one, Transformers had always had a very strong mainstream following above and beyond its original target audience, the same cannot be said for MLP, which has only picked up an adult cult following of any size with its most recent iteration.  I enjoy FiM, and God knows I've spent enough money on merchandise, but I have only been interested in MLP since about 2013, and only because of FiM.

The popularity of Transformers over MLP lies partly in the fact that it is a much more flexible vehicle which lends itself easily to being marketed at a broader age range, as seen by the recent clutch of films which were aimed squarely at young adults but also appealed to groups either side of this.  Such a feat would be much harder for MLP to replicate.  Outside of the Brony fandom (which is not particularly significant from a marketing perspective) any MLP film will struggle to bring in viewers that aren't young girls, and the parents who have to take them to the cinema to see it.

Well, sorry if I offended you over that or something, but thanks for informing me I guess. I suppose maybe It's just me being an idiot, or maybe the reason I wasn't aware of the IP's success is because I don't live in It's country of origin, but that aside, I always thought the films were meant to appeal to an older audience than the cartoons, because hey, if I can't understand what's going on how the hell's a little kid going to, plus the occasions of crude humour, cursing and the like. You sound like you know what you're talking about more than I do, so I'm not gonna fight it. Much respect to you and my apologies.

I was around when transformers started and have been a fan since. I've even sat through the Japanese only series, read all the comic series (including the UK stories) the mangas and spent for more money on the toyline than is honestly healthy at times. The original cartoon was great for its time, although it is horribly dated, but great if you can watch it for what it was and keep in mind the time period it came out in.

As for the movies... I did not hate the first one.. I found it pretty good for what it was... I hated the second one... the third one was ok as well.. a bit dumb at points but far better than two... and then ROTF scraped its shoe on the curb and 4 dropped off... good lord... and we have 3 more of these things to go. 5 just looks and sounds dumb to me, and I have virtually no interest in it.... it is just a simple alien robot over the top action flick series now that someone slapped the name Transformers on. I fear what 6 & 7 will be like. They keep making them because they are over the top action flicks, and even bad ones draw a crowd... just like a train wreck, everyone says they don't want to look, and yet they all do.

As others above have stated the fandom is huge (probably larger than the MLP one if you really got to counting people and getting opinions) and the movies are not going to kill that no matter how awful they get. It is definitely not just a niche fandom any more than MLP, Star Trek or Star Wars is. It is just in a semi lull right now save for the upcoming film and the ongoing comics. If they got a really good proper series going again you would see a lot more activity. Honestly I don't know how you could miss the fan base.

Beast Wars. But be prepared. the first season is sort of slow and can take some getting used to. But season 2 and onward the show was incredible. S3 felt pretty rushed though with them trying to get Beast Machines up and running which although i liked it, was a huge let down for the fanbase, and has what is possibly the most infuriating plot line in the entire franchise to have ever been written.

Actually, in 1990 Transformers pretty much ended.. at least here in the west. It all but ground to a halt at least as far as the cartoon and toyline went. The comic continued for a couple more years and it pretty much went into hibernation until 93 when they relaunched it.. and it just failed miserably... sales were poor, and most people forget it even happened and that there was an actual G2 (including a pretty good comic that brought some new ideas to the table). It was not until 1996 that they took a gamble and started Beast Wars and gave the franchise the re-energizing it needed. Since then they have done a pretty good job keeping it relevant and releasing product to both the fans of the franchise and to those just getting started.

I don't know how I could miss it either, maybe I'm just an idiot. But as I said to the other guy, it might also be because I live in an area where It's probably nowhere near as popular.

I've been a fan of Transformers since watching the generation one episodes as they aired on television way back in the 1980s though I will admit that the Michael Bay movies haven't appealed to me in any way nor have some of the video games. You could say that specific incarnations of the brand have my seal of approval compared with others I feel shouldn't have existed. Generation one will forever be my favourite because of nostalgia and the fact that it serves as the template that all other incarnations are based on. Beast Wars is another part of Transformers that I enjoy alongside anything related to Transformers Prime.

Beast Wars, everyone keeps bringing that one up. I should probably give it a try, my curiosity's reached It's peak, I'm just nervous because the screenshots I've seen now don't exactly sell it to me...

• Brohoof 2

Beast Wars, everyone keeps bringing that one up. I should probably give it a try, my curiosity's reached It's peak, I'm just nervous because the screenshots I've seen now don't exactly sell it to me...

It's a continuation of generation one in that it takes places centuries afterwards with a new cast, world, and lore though it eventually references the original generation before incorporating it into the storyline.

• Brohoof 1

To answer the questions regarding our feelings toward the franchise as a whole rather than anything business related: I love Transformers. The funny thing is, I didn't even know Beast Wars was a part of a greater continuity until Robots in Disguise (the anime) came out and then later found out about G1. I loved the original Transformers movie and was my first introduction to Unicron. Pretty sure that's also where he debuted entirely but it was a really good movie.

My best experiences with the franchise though have been the War for/Fall of Cybertron games. If you ask me, they had the right idea in multiple ways but a big one was how they treated the human element. That being "SCREW THEM!" If I want to watch giant, sentient war machines, that can transform into vehicles, weapons, and animals I don't want the central protagonist to be some scrawny little reminder of my own weakness in comparison to them! But yeah, focus on the Autobots and Decepticons and how they differ in personality, tactics, etc. fighting for the planet that's way more interesting than Earth as a setting at least for this scenario and these characters.

"You want to know . . . why they keep coming here?" Mr. Hopkins, I've heard several reasons in multiple continuities why and none of them have ever satisfied, I doubt that this one is going to.

But I don't mean to just complain about my problems because as I said I AM a fan of the franchise. Mainly because I like its mythology. How all of the components are machine and metal but so much about Cybertron is steeped in the mystical. The Allspark, the Thirteen original Primes, the Covenant of Primus. Such cosmic and maybe even divine context actually makes the struggles of the Autobots against the Decpticons seem like they mean something in the grand scheme of things outside of "Megatron is a dick, the Autobots are protecting themselves and others from his dickery." Given that grandiose lore, it just makes the punch ups, shoot outs, destruction derby awesomeness the icing on a good cake.

Of course it also helps that the heart of the franchise, Optimus Prime is one of the single most heroic and noble characters in fiction. He is the embodiment of every fundamental heroic virtue, courage, wisdom, kindness, and strength. He inspires such loyalty and devotion and for a good reason. It goes beyond treating those under his command with dignity to contrast him with Megatron's abusive leadership style, Optimus is simply a good man who has the world on his shoulders. You want to follow him out of a sense of gratitude as much as respect.

Regarding the second paragraph I could totally agree with you. Transformers to me, was clearly designed to be an IP about watching giant robots beat the ever living crap out of each other in a battle to defend/ruin the planet and gain more power/stop them from gaining power etc. The humans were never really a problem for me in G1, maybe I'm just lucky and haven't seen the more human oriented episodes or something, but in the movies? Oh god... It's seriously to the point where I think maybe sometimes the humans get more screen time than what we actually wanted to see. Not that having them there is a bad thing of course, it adds danger to the situation, gives the Autobots a reason to defend the planet. In short, I'm fine with them being there, they just shouldn't really get the spotlight to me.

OK, maybe Transformers has a lot more lore to it than I thought...

• Brohoof 1

That is does though some of it changes from iteration to iteration while other parts remain consistent. One of the golden rules that Hasbro now follows regarding Transformers is if Optimus Prime were to die, he needs to be brought back to life shortly afterwards or not killed at all. Otherwise, the fandom would have a reaction of epic proportions.

• Brohoof 1

Regarding the second paragraph I could totally agree with you. Transformers to me, was clearly designed to be an IP about watching giant robots beat the ever living crap out of each other in a battle to defend/ruin the planet and gain more power/stop them from gaining power etc. The humans were never really a problem for me in G1, maybe I'm just lucky and haven't seen the more human oriented episodes or something, but in the movies? Oh god... It's seriously to the point where I think maybe sometimes the humans get more screen time than what we actually wanted to see. Not that having them there is a bad thing of course, it adds danger to the situation, gives the Autobots a reason to defend the planet. In short, I'm fine with them being there, they just shouldn't really get the spotlight to me.

Oh are you kidding me? Especially with the new aligned universe which is an attempt to bridge the convoluted bits and pieces of scattered world building of the previous iterations into a more or less cohesive whole. Now Cybertron has a pre-war history and a reason for the Deceptions to try and take over. "Proletariat revolution" are the magic words, and like so many Earth examples of such, their lofty aims of equality and fairness are quickly forgotten in favor of violence for violence's sake and conquest. Even Optimus' long forgotten backstory before he took his new name and the rank of Prime has now been re-canonized.

Believe it or not, the least problem I had with the human characters, at least some of them, was in the first live action movie with Lennox and crew. See if you're going to have the human characters HAVE THEM DO SHIT! I mean other than shout from the sidelines, "you can do it Perceptor!" And preferably they should be adult characters or at least mature enough to realize the stakes of what is going on around them.

• Brohoof 1

Believe it or not, the least problem I had with the human characters, at least some of them, was in the first live action movie with Lennox and crew. See if you're going to have the human characters HAVE THEM DO SHIT! I mean other than shout from the sidelines, "you can do it Perceptor!" And preferably they should be adult characters or at least mature enough to realize the stakes of what is going on around them.

I really want to see Circuit Breaker in a film, as the human characters go she was pretty awesome.

• Brohoof 2

That is does though some of it changes from iteration to iteration while other parts remain consistent. One of the golden rules that Hasbro now follows regarding Transformers is if Optimus Prime were to die, he needs to be brought back to life shortly afterwards or not killed at all. Otherwise, the fandom would have a reaction of epic proportions.

Well, that is understandable. He is pretty much one of the biggest icons of the brand, if you've heard of Transformers, you've probably at least heard Prime's name.

Oh are you kidding me? Especially with the new aligned universe which is an attempt to bridge the convoluted bits and pieces of scattered world building of the previous iterations into a more or less cohesive whole. Now Cybertron has a pre-war history and a reason for the Deceptions to try and take over. "Proletariat revolution" are the magic words, and like so many Earth examples of such, their lofty aims of equality and fairness are quickly forgotten in favor of violence for violence's sake and conquest. Even Optimus' long forgotten backstory before he took his new name and the rank of Prime has now been re-canonized.

Oh christ... I feel like there's enough lore there to fill the first chapter of a Transformers Historia or something... but that's a fair point on the humans part.

• Brohoof 2

Well, that is understandable. He is pretty much one of the biggest icons of the brand, if you've heard of Transformers, you've probably at least heard Prime's name.

Optimus is the face of Transformers. As soon as anyone mentions the word "Transformers" in that context, Optimus is the first character people will think of. The reason I say Hasbro follows this rule has to do with the controversy surrounding the 1986 movie.

• Brohoof 1

Oh christ... I feel like there's enough lore there to fill the first chapter of a Transformers Historia or something... but that's a fair point on the humans part.

Ummm I'm referring TO the "historia" with all of this. The Binder of Revelation is the name of the overall Aligned Story Bible. In-universe it's The Covenant of Primus, written by Alpha Trion.

Think of it like the Star Wars EU. There's the official canon and all the previously made expanded universe material that detailed post movie events is in the "legends" canon. All the myriad timelines and mythos of the Transformers saga across different properties with different creators have all been kicked to the curb with broad strokes taken from many of them and being consolidated into the new aligned canon.

@@OmegaBeamOfficial,

First 3 were good

4th was crap

5th is crap

New cast ruined it, its like replacing the mane six with 6 randoms and finding another mane 6 that costs less

I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to our feelings on the franchise as a whole, not just the live action films.

They did almost do that though with Robots in Disguise (2015). Which picked up a couple years after Prime's death and followed Bumblebee as the leader of a small team of Autobots on Earth. Sure Optimus showed up briefly in a kind of vision but still, him being dead and STAYING dead ( http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_many_deaths_of_Optimus_Prime) was looking like a breath of fresh air for the franchise.

. . . Until he comes back at the END OF THE FIRST EPISODE! Not even in spirit form or the like, he's just there, with no explanation as to his recovery!

"I don't know how I am able to be here. I do know this though, it is time for you to lead, my friend. But I will be here only when I'm needed."

Yeah, allow me to translate.

"I am now a deus ex machina the writers can pull out of their tail pipes whenever they want. Giving you, Bumblebee and thus the audience, the illusion of having matured beyond a parental figure being able to help you when really I'll pull you out of bad situations and render your mistakes void of consequence." ~Fades back into the aether of plot convenience

• Brohoof 1

Optimus is the face of Transformers. As soon as anyone mentions the word "Transformers" in that context, Optimus is the first character people will think of. The reason I say Hasbro follows this rule has to do with the controversy surrounding the 1986 movie.

I don't see how there could be controversy there but OK, I'll roll with it.

Ummm I'm referring TO the "historia" with all of this. The Binder of Revelation is the name of the overall Aligned Story Bible. In-universe it's The Covenant of Primus, written by Alpha Trion.

Think of it like the Star Wars EU. There's the official canon and all the previously made expanded universe material that detailed post movie events is in the "legends" canon. All the myriad timelines and mythos of the Transformers saga across different properties with different creators have all been kicked to the curb with broad strokes taken from many of them and being consolidated into the new aligned canon.

I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to our feelings on the franchise as a whole, not just the live action films.

They did almost do that though with Robots in Disguise (2015). Which picked up a couple years after Prime's death and followed Bumblebee as the leader of a small team of Autobots on Earth. Sure Optimus showed up briefly in a kind of vision but still, him being dead and STAYING dead ( http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_many_deaths_of_Optimus_Prime) was looking like a breath of fresh air for the franchise.

. . . Until he comes back at the END OF THE FIRST EPISODE! Not even in spirit form or the like, he's just there, with no explanation as to his recovery!

"I don't know how I am able to be here. I do know this though, it is time for you to lead, my friend. But I will be here only when I'm needed."

Yeah, allow me to translate.

"I am now a deus ex machina the writers can pull out of their tail pipes whenever they want. Giving you, Bumblebee and thus the audience, the illusion of having matured beyond a parental figure being able to help you when really I'll pull you out of bad situations and render your mistakes void of consequence." ~Fades back into the aether of plot convenience

That all sounds pretty neat.

But that is the stupidest way to bring back a character possible. I mean, I get them bringing him back, he's an icon to the Transformers brand, and I'm not very fluent in TF lore as you know by now, but if it is as you say and they literally resurrected his character without ANY indication or reasoning for his survival, that's pretty damn dumb.

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial
  • Brohoof 2

I don't see how there could be controversy there but OK, I'll roll with it.

To promote the season three toy line that was being produced, they decided to kill off characters from the first two season toy lines who had been there since the start. Some were killed in such stupid ways, they border on the line of sheer absurdity. Other characters were killed by being blasted in places where in the show, they got hit in the same places and survived. A few were killed off-screen without any explanation. Optimus' death was the worst case in that fans/parents sent Hasbro tons of letters--some addressed to Optimus directly--complaining that he was killed.

• Brohoof 1