Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Movie & The Oscars?

Buttonmash1973

I don't really think that it will get nominated for best animated film in the Oscar's.

I mean the Lego Movie was also a 90 minute toy commercial and it didn't get nominated for best animated film, so I don't rally see why a My Little Pony Movie would either.

• Brohoof 2

I don't really think that it will get nominated for best animated film in the Oscar's.

I mean the Lego Movie was also a 90 minute toy commercial and it didn't get nominated for best animated film, so I don't rally see why a My Little Pony Movie would either.

That was a stupid, stupid decision TBH.

If Lego Batman gets the nomination though MLP can too.

Oscars are nothing but politics. They only nominate movies that they see fit and not the ones that are actually the best.

I honestly couldn't care less if it gets a nominee or not. I either like it or not and that is that.

• Brohoof 5

I highly highly doubt it. FIM has a history of being snubbed for awards.

Best original song maybe for nomination but as usual MLP never wins.

Academy Awards will probably just shove it to the side. Oscars always go with their Oscar-bait movies, which are still great movies mind you, but you know you could usually always tell which movies will be nominated after you watch them or even just see the trailer.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Size up this year's competition; it's a weaker field. Even if it wasn't, I'd still say MLP's got a good chance of being nominated for Best Animated Film, and possibly Best Original Song.

Its a weak year so there is more changes than none at all. But its never going to happen, tv adaptations are not taken seriously by the Academy, mlp has not been taken seriously by any tv awards show so far and only the big animation studios, stop-motion and foreign hand drawn art films are going to be nominated for the animated feature and animated film is not getting a song nominated without getting heat as a film.

I don't see it. The award will most likely go to a CG film over a flash piece like MLP. I mean, if anime films with better animation and more complex story get snubbed regularly, what chance does MLP stand? 

• Brohoof 2

While I assume the quality of the movie will at least be ahead of the EqG movies, as we know none of them were even close to winning an award for anything. The only award of value i'm even aware of that MLP won was a Day Time Emmy award for best original song. So I guess thats as good as it will probably get. Besides I cant take this movie seriously enough to give it an award when Seaquestria, Tempest Shadow and Capper in it.

It would be like expecting a Schumacher Batman film to win an award.

It would be nice for MLP to be given an Oscar nomination but to win an award there might prove difficult. There are other animated features being released throughout the year that will provide stiff competition but perhaps MLP might break tradition and come out on top as a literal underdog.

• Brohoof 2

The Jimmy Neutron movie and the Wild Thornberry movie both got Oscar noms. So do you think the MLP movie will get in the Oscar submission for song or animated movie?

I doubt for best animated movie. I mean the movie would have to be phenomenal for that to happen. Which I doubt. But definitely for best song. Probably one of the songs Sia will sing.

It would be nice for MLP to be given an Oscar nomination but to win an award there might prove difficult. There are other animated features being released throughout the year that will provide stiff competition but perhaps MLP might break tradition and come out on top as a literal underdog.

I wouldn't call them an underdog. The mlp movie is still a multi million dollar production.

I doubt for best animated movie. I mean the movie would have to be phenomenal for that to happen. Which I doubt. But definitely for best song. Probably one of the songs Sia will sing.

I wouldn't call them an underdog. The mlp movie is still a multi million dollar production.

Compared to other animated movies that especially have bigger budgets, the MLP movie could be an underdog compared to them. It does depend on how big of a budget Hasbro is willing to have.

Compared to other animated movies that especially have bigger budgets, the MLP movie could be an underdog compared to them. It does depend on how big of a budget Hasbro is willing to have.

Knowing Hasbro probably as little as necessary. Its not computer generated or frame by frame drawn so their budget doesnt sound to be anything more than a few mil. Id expect more to go into toys and marketing than the movie itself.

I'm sure the academy would consider the MLP movie too much a merchandising effort, and not artsy enough or mainstream enough for recognition. Just consider how last year the movie "Your Name" which is one the biggest hits of all time in Japan, didn't even get a nomination, and it has both prestige and accessibility. I don't know how that flew under the radar when the respectable yet inferior Kubo made the list. 

The bottom line is that the academy is out of touch and doesn't recognize movies that deserve it, we all know that. It's more concerned with showing itself to be more or different than it really is. 

If MLP doesn't make the cut, it can simply stand proudly alongside countless other great movies that got screwed by the academy.  :unsure:

• 6 years later...