Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Four new characters revealed!

Golden Star

Look. Guys. Guys, look. Look, guys. Guys! Look!

It's a cat. Being played by a black guy. Who's also dressed up like some snazzy singing street tough. I don't know if this has been brought up yet before, but clearly it hasn't been enough to where peeps isn't just ragin' up a storm of ...oh I don't know, proportions that need a king to manage it or something. I can just taste the fact that he's just going to be the token black annoying comedy relief, mark my words there. But that's not the worst. Guys. GUYS, LOOK!

Capper.....is a Cat Rapper. SWEET MERCY THE NAMING CONVENTION CAUSES ME DIRE MENTAL ANGUISH.

I CANNOT EMOTE HARD ENOUGH TO TRANSFER TO YOU HOW MUCH I'M OVERREACTING RIGHT NOW!!!

Why not just pair him with the rapping dog from the animated Titanic movies? Have we learned nothing!!!

Moving on.  

I will grant that I'm glad to see their expanding the world a bit. That's rather neat. Just... do hope we don't get just one character tossed in to act as stereotypical member of that species like, oh I don't know, Discord as the only Draconequus. Glad to see flutterponies are coming back with Skystar. Or skylark, or Keytar or whatever the blazes she is. Pretty yes, but its not like we need yet even more pastel prettiness in this world.

Then, of course, in a clear attempt to counter said pretty-pretty princess fluffybottoms we got Mister Giant in black armor. Oh, like we haven't seen some big thuggish villain before in black, gothic armor. Literally any of you fans could have come up with characters like these and they wouldn't be any more outlandish. There's world expanding, then there's just a blinding whirlwind tour around lands we haven't seen before, then just ignoring it all after the movie. Because every franchise's movie gets ignored by the shows continuity.  Why don't I write a letter to the company offering them my Ooze Pony, cyborg or Hydra, huh? Nothing I could come up with would surpass the levels of crazy their dishing out here.

Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing. Creativy is something that is always good in my book. Something I'm constantly telling myself right now as I type this.

Then there's Tempest Shadow. Because having a character covered in scars, broken limbs & wartorn bodily effects is exactly how you need to market to a childrens' audience. Remember kids! Life just keeps beating you down until you become a constantly angry and spiteful character! Hate everyone for what life has done to you kids! Such a transparent ploy from hasbro. Oh gee, the fandom keeps making gothic, edgy, spiteful, warlike characters? Gosh, that must be what they want so let's PUT 'ER IN!   But that's not what gets me the worst about Tempest Shadow. One. Little. Question.

WHY AM I INSTANTLY IN LOVE WITH HER?!!?     AUGH!   Curse my inability to resist a good Mayadere!

That's what worries me the most about this. I want this movie to succeed. This fandom means alot to me. It's a world I cherish, that instills hope & love into me which are emotions I've not had very much practice in engendering into myself. This movie keeps throwing in more new characters, more new questions to raise, all in an attempt to draw an audience. The more ingredients you add to a stew... the more you stretch the flavor. The more hype I see for this project the more worried I get for it.

...I'm scared.  There's just too much to go into this. I ...I mean... it's...

A CAT RAPPER?!!?  *randomly fires a revolver into the air*

• Brohoof 2

The most recent character that got revealed earlier is certainly interesting, though you have to wonder what other new characters are going to end up looking like. You also have to wonder if the regular characters will have smaller roles so that these new characters can get as much screen time as possible.

Huh, wonder why I'm just suddenly okay with an anthropomorphic bird lady?

Perhaps because she isn't a blatant, arrogant pun name?   Think that's what nailed the coffin for me on Crapper, I mean Capper. Is that horrible name. Maybe if they just gave him a regular name like Oliver or whatever I'd be willing, but its like if they pitched the show & just gave Twilight the name Nerdy Protagonist.

Least with Captain Caeldano its subtle enough like most names in this world. Plus Pirate Parrot is such beautifully random things to put together that it seems more like how things just wound up for her life, rather than just put together to play to the audience. Rappers or cats aren't exactly any more common, but they certainly are in media. Plus, I'm so happy we're getting some more representation for pirates! Really need to go off & watch Pirates of the Caribbean again!

I'm really taking a shine to Tempest Shadow. I just wanna know more about how she got the way she did, good almost-subtle design there. Man, we really need a Tempest Shadow Fanclub!

Guys, calm down, I don't think that ANY of these characters will steal the Mane 6's spotlight, and now I'll explain why. By their look, they will belong to specific factions and moments of the Movie:

-Storm King is the main villain, and Tempest Shadow his right hand (or at least an henchmen of him), and as such, they will cover the standard screentime of, you know, the villains of the Movies;

-Celaeno and Capper are obviously pirates, and they will both work on the same boat and appear in that specific moment of the Movie;

-And then Queen Novo and Princess Skystars which are obviously... mother and daughter respectively, and (SPOILER HERE) the ones the MANE 6 will have to search for (the reasons are still to be explained) that Meghan Mccarthy hinted during the last SDCC.

I'm 100% sure that these characters will appear just the necessary time during the Movie and won't steal the Mane 6's spotlight. Don't worry.

I find it weird that we have information about the movie that comes out in October yet we have little to no information about S7 that is going to air in two months time, is there something that the show is not telling us?

Soooo...fully upright anthropomorphic cats are a canon species now...okay :adorkable:

I cant deny I agree with a lot of others when I say he doesnt feel like he belongs in this world. I mean i know we've had other anthro species besides ponies like Minotaur, dragons, griffons and diamond dogs, but most of those are fantastical mythological creatures with many origins already written. Even the Diamond Dogs while "dogs" I guess seem to be stylized with almost stone gremlin features so they feel like they can fit in a world of timber wolves and such. The Diamond Dogs are already significantly different than a normal dog species in the show so they dont seem "normal". But Capper is...hes a walking cat. A dime a dozen Disney animated cat. I know he's more of a throwback to G1 Katrina but still, you gotta adapt the canon universe. Its like they've introduce humans yet because they were in G1(humans coming in 2018 movie). Its not that I dont like him or dont like his design. He just seems too cartoony for this...cartoon.

Actually there is one last thing about this character that's got me flustered. I've always been bothered by this in other shows and video games but its the idea of introducing a completely new sentient species to the canon that we are just to accept. Its the idea of how do you explain why we've never encountered or referenced this intelligent species before what with wandering all over Equestria. You'd think they would have noticed a clothed walking cat. So its either they have never encountered this cat species before or were always aware of them but were just never brought up. Like "oh man the world is in danger from this big bad...maybe we can get help from those cat people". Griffons and Dragons arn't native to Equestria but are often seen hanging around. Even Breezies have a good excuse as they only come by every so often to gather pollen and return to their world through a portal so its not just a place you can find and only a few of them speak English(or pony I guess :confused: ) so it would be harder to document them.

I dunno, if they dont have a decent explanation of why we havent seen this thing before, I just have trouble buying why they're now there.

But there IS something that he has gotten me excited for.

The reaction to this "furry" on MLP sites and derpibooru has been just delicious.

Its just like when people started crossing Sonic and MLP together, again.

One last thing Tempest Shadow. Im not going to say she is an Edge Lord with that eye scar and broken horn...more of an Edge Baron or Edge Duke

1359923__safe_artist-colon-witchtaunter_

Edited by SONICchaos

Soooo...fully upright anthropomorphic cats are a canon species now...okay :adorkable:

I cant deny I agree with a lot of others when I say he doesnt feel like he belongs in this world. I mean i know we've had other anthro species besides ponies like Minotaur, dragons, griffons and diamond dogs, but most of those are fantastical mythological creatures with many origins already written. Even the Diamond Dogs while "dogs" I guess seem to be stylized with almost stone gremlin features so they feel like they can fit in a world of timber wolves and such. The Diamond Dogs are already significantly different than a normal dog species in the show so they dont seem "normal". But Capper is...hes a walking cat. A dime a dozen Disney animated cat. I know he's more of a throwback to G1 Katrina but still, you gotta adapt the canon universe. Its like they've introduce humans yet because they were in G1(humans coming in 2018 movie). Its not that I dont like him or dont like his design. He just seems too cartoony for this...cartoon.

Actually there is one last thing about this character that's got me flustered. I've always been bothered by this in other shows and video games but its the idea of introducing a completely new sentient species to the canon that we are just to accept. Its the idea of how do you explain why we've never encountered or referenced this intelligent species before what with wandering all over Equestria. You'd think they would have noticed a clothed walking cat. So its either they have never encountered this cat species before or were always aware of them but were just never brought up. Like "oh man the world is in danger from this big bad...maybe we can get help from those cat people". Griffons and Dragons arn't native to Equestria but are often seen hanging around. Even Breezies have a good excuse as they only come by every so often to gather pollen and return to their world through a portal so its not just a place you can find and only a few of them speak English(or pony I guess :confused: ) so it would be harder to document them.

I dunno, if they dont have a decent explanation of why we havent seen this thing before, I just have trouble buying why they're now there.

But there IS something that he has gotten me excited for.

The reaction to this "furry" on MLP sites and derpibooru has been just delicious.

Its just like when people started crossing Sonic and MLP together, again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzRc_J6GFI4

One last thing Tempest Shadow. Im not going to say she is an Edge Lord with that eye scar and broken horn...more of an Edge Baron or Edge Duke

sig-4810139.1359923__safe_artist-colon-w

well we haven't seen his lower half yet. What if he's a Bakeneko? Is that mythical enough to quiet people?

And the reason we don't need an explanation as to why we haven't seen such creatures in Equestria before is because the movie takes the mane 6 OUT of Equestria

Capper is sorta....well, out of nowhere. He is the one that raises the most questions to me, but overall I do like his design, as well as the others. I actually am most excited to see what the Storm King is all about. He looks like a species similar to Tirek, if not the same. Tirek's brother possibly? Maybe not, but who knows at this point. Tempest is a very interesting design. Broken horn? First time we have seen that I believe.

Princess Skystar is the least interesting one to me. I like her design but I get this feeling she will be sorta generic. I mean, that name alone 'SkyStar' is immensely generic. Also, is she a seapony princess? Kinda odd to call her Skystar then but it be what it be.

• Brohoof 2

I really want to make a Gokaiger reference here.

Anytime you have a character with large lapels, there's a pretty good chance they're a pirate - whether it be on the sea or in outer space. =)

I don't think so.  But with all this new stuff being introduced, this is definitely feeling very much like the status quo might change from this.

I think there's a possibility we might get a preview of these new species during season 7 (maybe not these specific characters, however). I can also see a possibility of this movie being the kickoff of a G4.5, where season 8 is no longer MLP:FiM but something else that tells stories in a much wider landscape with new ponies and dragons intermingling with all these new species, and the FiM characters only make occasional appearances.

It's a cat. Being played by a black guy. Who's also dressed up like some snazzy singing street tough. I don't know if this has been brought up yet before, but clearly it hasn't been enough to where peeps isn't just ragin' up a storm of ...oh I don't know, proportions that need a king to manage it or something. I can just taste the fact that he's just going to be the token black annoying comedy relief, mark my words there. But that's not the worst. Guys. GUYS, LOOK!

Capper.....is a Cat Rapper.

I wouldn't presume just because he's a brother than he's going to be singing rap music. Taye Diggs is mostly known for his work on Broadway, so if anything Capper is more likely to break out into song along the lines of "Memory" than anything else. (Yes I just stereotyped all cats as being into Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals. XD )

Soooo...fully upright anthropomorphic cats are a canon species now...okay   I cant deny I agree with a lot of others when I say he doesnt feel like he belongs in this world. I mean i know we've had other anthro species besides ponies like Minotaur, dragons, griffons and diamond dogs, but most of those are fantastical mythological creatures with many origins already written.

Since we've really only seen one side of the planet the series takes place on, who knows what kind of species exists well beyond its borders? Only last season did we get a peek at the actual location of other lands like Griffonstone and the Dragonlands and they only lie just outside the borders of Equestria. Even farther away all bets are off as to the makeup of the inhabitants.

Having said that, I agree it is a bit jarring to get two new bipedal species all of a sudden when every other race aside from minotaurs are quadrupeds. (Spike and the other teen dragons don't count - dragons seem to normally be quads later in life once their back legs can no longer hold all that weight; and besides, Spike switches between being a biped and quad seemingly at will all the time.)

Maybe it would have made more sense in the overall theme of the show to make Capper a lion, tiger, or puma quadruped? The reason I say that is the other thing that makes him different is we don't see domesticated pets from our world having their own society in G4 MLP.

• Brohoof 1

Someone on the mlparena said that The Storm King is an obscure character from the original G1 comics.

The bird character looks interesting. Celaeno is both a Greek myth reference and a reference from The Last Unicorn.

I don't get why they would name a merpony Skystar either. That makes no sense,but this is Hasbro and sometimes they do strange things. The new merpony is just eh.

Edit: Here's The Storm King from Medley, Firefly and The Storm King. Please note, this image is from Heck Yeah Pony Scans. If you want the full story zip on over there. It seems the original isn't such a bad guy.

post-37221-0-04524200-1486829360.jpg

Edited by Leave a Whisper

Someone on the mlparena said that The Storm King is an obscure character from the original G1 comics.

The bird character looks interesting. Celaeno is both a Greek myth reference and a reference from The Last Unicorn.

I don't get why they would name a merpony Skystar either. That makes no sense,but this is Hasbro and sometimes they do strange things. The new merpony is just eh.

Edit: Here's The Storm King from Medley, Firefly and The Storm King. Please note, this image is from Heck Yeah Pony Scans. If you want the full story zip on over there. It seems the original isn't such a bad guy.

tumblr_mf5y10a0b21rz9gauo5_250.jpg

Skystar could be a reference to starfish, maybe? They're shaped like stars, which are also celestial objects in the sky...

Maybe she's part flying fish?

• Brohoof 1

Alright, my predictions for this stuff:

Storm king attacks. Celestia and Luna lose badly because, LOLPRINCESSES and they need to be worfed to build him up.

The mane six forget they have discord around and never bring him up in conversation.

Celestia's last words before being captured were to look for the sea ponies (SHOO BEE DOO, SHOO SHOO BE DOO) and find out info about storm king

The mane six need to get transportation to the Sea pony city

They charter an Airship from the Harpy girl. Cappy maybe takes them to her?
They get to the seapony city. They turn themselves into seaponies because seaponies are Xenophobes and hate outsiders.

They get caught anyways and taken to the queen.
They explain the situation and ask for help. The queen refuses because "MAH TRADITION" and she wants to remain secluded at the bottom of the sea where the villain can't find them instead of fighting him.

The princess Frees them because she's the generic, headstrong rebellious princess who wants to break free of tradition.

The villain's attack anyways and wrecks their city's crap, causing the queen to admit she was wrong and gives the mane six the info they need.

The mane six flee and the kingdom gets captured or put under his control, or whatever.

The mane six go find macguffins.

Tempest shadow ends up turning on Storm king because she's smiling in the image, not scowling, and we need at least 1 reformation in the movie.

Tempest and the mane six defeat storm lord

Sia sings a song at the end.

>Squints

>Icantseeshit.exe

I_CAN__T_SEE_SHIT_by_LupineWarlord.png

>he's not such a bad guy

Well, given the reformation wave we've been having where even soul sucking succubi are shown to be good deep down, there's always the chance the movie will end with "Oh, he's not bad, he just needed... FRIENDSHIP!" and everyone gets along instead of him being properly defeated.

Skystar could be a reference to starfish, maybe? They're shaped like stars, which are also celestial objects in the sky...

Maybe she's part flying fish?

All hail Skystar! Queen of the flying fishies!

:D;)

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

Well, in Capper's (guh, still shuddering from that name) defense, he is rather cute & not all that anthropomorphized imo. Not any more than the Diamond Dogs are. His pic does look scaled up & I get the impression he barely even comes up to a pony's chest. Way his hair grows its more like a pony mane than a human's and like Spike, it looks like he's only bipedal on account of his size. He could just as easily walk on all fours as that pic just looks like he's strutting for his introductory glamour shot. AS a whole he doesn't seem like he would hold much bearing on the plot other then a few sassy comments or backup during a song number. Not unlike how some of our main six can be from time to time.

I wouldn't presume just because he's a brother than he's going to be singing rap music. Taye Diggs is mostly known for his work on Broadway, so if anything Capper is more likely to break out into song along the lines of "Memory" than anything else. (Yes I just stereotyped all cats as being into Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals. XD )

Well, I will admit I somewhat jumped the gun into moderate racism there...*cough* But I do watch a lot of YouTube reviewers & it does seem like there's really only two characters black men can play, either A) the tough street rapper dude or B.the Chris Rock sassy comedic relief. And its not like we haven't seen professional, trained actors of the stage be relegated to insulting roles beneath their experiences. Still, I'm not shooting the biggest barrel of fish here. Capper does not instill in me alot of trust.

I'm hoping dearly that name just means that he's a dapper cat.

Judging by how the Diamond Dogs were portrayed as near goblin-like. Being bipedal does not equate to very high intelligence.

Edited by Widdershins

Capper sounds like Cat Purr, and Kappa combined. Plus it has hands, too much suspension of disbelief for me really, and reminds me of all dogs go to heaven or something, seems too out of place for me, the other three definitely fit tho.

These names are not very creative. 

I love this post because it reminds me of the dry humor of Undertale 10/10 reviews. Like “The puzzles aren't particularly impressive.”

10/10 – Destructoid

Edited by Lil Pip

Queen Novo, at least, looks like a savvy ruler. Princess Skystar was not instilling me with a lot of confidence.

Captain Caleo... Celou.. C[VOWEL]l[VOWELS]n[VOWEL] looks kinda elf twee. Not bad at all.

And to all you guys dissing Capper: You're just sore that RD ain't best pony no more. :-P

Edited by Duality

one thing that many people in this fandom (at least those who are familiar with past generations of MLP) seem to forget is that there was a point in time where Hasbro didn't tread the path of Disney, and has some of its good characters wanting to become Queen

The G1 princess Ponies. (Quest of the Princess Ponies parts 1-4). Not to mention, Queen Rosedust, of the Flutter ponies, also in G1. There's also mention in G4's “The crystal Empire part1”, in the detailing the history of the Crystal Empire, of there being a good Queen (the empire's very first) who established the Crystal Faire, which became the empire's most important tradition.

Disney has 2 evil Queen charcaters and 2 main characters that are good ones and some minor mother charcaters. So I don't know why Disney is said to just have evil Queens. I think the Queen avoidance was just because princess charcaters are much more more desires in merchandicing, expecially after Disney princess line became a big thing in the early 00s. But now that Hasbro had plenty of princesses for marketing reasons they can do one Queen too, Skysar probably will get more marketing anyway.