Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Four new characters revealed!

Golden Star

Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.....

https://derpicdn.net/img/view/2017/2/12/1361201__safe_capper_rover_my+little+pony-colon-+the+movie_spoiler-colon-my+little+pony+movie_diamond+dog_drama+bait_hypocrisy_meta.png

Aside the dumb phrase above (which has a point anyway), by seeing this casual comparison side by side, I think I changed my mind: excluding the fact one is a cat and the other a dog and that Capper's ears are more defined (justified by the fact he will be in the Movie), their style is.... practically the same...

Wouldn't be surprised if the authors will say in an interview that they based his design specifically from the Diamond Dogs.

Edited by Sly

I'm a little iffy about the cat character as he looks like a discount comic relief character who exists purely as an attempt to gain mass market appeal, but I think I'm the most iffy about Hasbro and DHX attempting to do too much and have the movie lack focus rather than focusing on doing less really well. Each of the announced characters has an implied character arc and ties into at least some kind of plot point. They can palette swap Tirek all they want, but if their "totally original" character doesn't get enough build-up or his motivations seem to be lacking because there just isn't enough screen time to develop his character, then it will all be for naught.

However, I am still remaining cautiously optimistic as I know a lot of time and effort is going into this film, so hopefully it will all pay off. I am perhaps the most intrigued by the unicorn with a broken horn as there's a lot of potential there regarding how unicorn magic works, and whether or not headcanon will be shattered. For the most part most of these characters look alright in their own right. I just hope they don't suffer from having too little screentime as a result of there being too many characters to give adequate focus to.

Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.....

https://derpicdn.net/img/view/2017/2/12/1361201__safe_capper_rover_my+little+pony-colon-+the+movie_spoiler-colon-my+little+pony+movie_diamond+dog_drama+bait_hypocrisy_meta.png

Aside the dumb phrase above (which has a point anyway), by seeing this casual comparison side by side, I think I changed my mind: excluding the fact one is a cat and the other a dog and that Capper's ears are more defined (justified by the fact he will be in the Movie), their style is.... practically the same...

Wouldn't be surprised if the authors will say in an interview that they based his design specifically from the Diamond Dogs.

That is some reaching. By that logic every single cartoon anthro anywhere is exactly the same. Diamond dogs look like some warped version of a canine creature... like an MLP version of a goblin dog or something, they are not necessarily super original, but at least they fit style wise into MLP. On the other hand Capper looks like he just got back from a duet with Paula Abdul. He looks like (or appears to be related to) every other famous singing and dancing cartoon cat used by every company from Disney to Hanna-Barbera. I am not saying he won't be an interesting or unique character within the film, for all I know he could be what makes this film... I am saying from just a first appearance and nothing else to go on, Hasbro looks like they swiped some stills from an unused villain from Darkwing Duck and called it good. The others are not all that original, but at least they fit the style of the show. Capper is and does neither.

• Brohoof 1

Michael Peña's character has been revealed.

https://twitter.com/MLPMovie/status/830990226835206145

...okay? i must say it certainly...something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJpuYZRwv0

Seriously, i really don't see the appeal in this hedgehog like character. And i also feel like there are not enough new pony side characters, if any.

I just wait what comes out of it.

Kind of out of place, but not as bad as Capper. He just screams henchmen though. Either that or some bit grubbing (hah!) character who is not necessarily an antagonist, but is there just to annoy the main characters on their adventure or at the least to be an obstacle within part of it. The hairdo is a bit too Sonic like for my taste though.

• Brohoof 1

Admittedly this design is the weakest in my eyes, but I'll wait for the final execution before judging. :)

• Brohoof 1

I think that Capper is fine. Feels like it belongs personally, and as someone pointed out the past series had already included an anthropomorphic cat species. We also have a dog species, so again, it fits. What appears to be a nautical theme makes the character feel like a derivative of Treasure Planet, but that isn't enough to make me skeptical.

Novo, Skystar, and Tempest all have something new and interesting in their design while staying true to the general pony design. In general, I think the designs work for all seven characters.

The good news is that if you don't like the design of some of them, chances are they may not get massive screen time since you have a story to tell. Two of these characters will likely be featured in the initial leg of the travel to the oversea location and stay put. So if you dislike Capper ... you'll probably only need to suffer for 10-15 minutes of screen time tops.

• Brohoof 1

Interesting...very interesting. Anthropomorphic animals are nothing new in the MLP universe. I actually love the look of Capper, he reminds me of Catrina from G1 and I can't help but wonder if there will be any mention of her. Probably not but hey, my nostalgic heart can dream. I'm most intrigued by Tempest Shadow, a unicorn with a broken horn...can't wait to hear her story.

Grubber immediately made me think of Bunga from The Lion Guard.... :o_o: