Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Memories from the old days of the Internet

Pripyat Pony

In my case, my dad had to shell out money for new ink.

It was extremely memorable though it's a shame that it was followed by Digimon Adventure 02.

you should have gone to the library that what I did haha. Also I havent seen the recent digimon, was it that bad?

• Brohoof 1

Ah, this thread brings back memories. 

I remember the days of dial-up, when I had to ask permission every time I wanted to use the internet only cause it would clog up our phone lines, and anytime someone needed to make a call I was disconnected straight away. Not to mention it took several minutes just to connect, if you were lucky.

Then there was the "speed", or lack thereof. Nowadays, videos load faster than they run, but imagine waiting close to an hour to watch a three minute music video, even longer if you were unfortunate to be disconnected. Speaking of videos, I remember the day my brother told me about this thing he'd heard about called "Youtube", which you could watch videos on. That was also around the time I discovered GaiaOnline, which was my first ever forum/social media site.

I also distinctly remember this site that let you make crappy webpages for free. I think it was something with a J...    

• Brohoof 1

Ah, this thread brings back memories. 

I remember the days of dial-up, when I had to ask permission every time I wanted to use the internet only cause it would clog up our phone lines, and anytime someone needed to make a call I was disconnected straight away. Not to mention it took several minutes just to connect, if you were lucky.

Then there was the "speed", or lack thereof. Nowadays, videos load faster than they run, but imagine waiting close to an hour to watch a three minute music video, even longer if you were unfortunate to be disconnected. Speaking of videos, I remember the day my brother told me about this thing he'd heard about called "Youtube", which you could watch videos on. That was also around the time I discovered GaiaOnline, which was my first ever forum/social media site.

I also distinctly remember this site that let you make crappy webpages for free. I think it was something with a J...    

I remember dial-up. I had EarthLink dial-up until 2003, when we got Time Warner Cable for internet, which would become Bright House Networks in Indianapolis a few months later (and is now Charter Spectrum alongside TWC). Asking my parents to enter the dial-up login details, not being able to go online all the time, the memories...

awr my gawd i just remembered the Fox Kids website. I used to spend hours (or as long as my internet time was allowed) playing the games on the Fox Kids site and the Cartoon Network site. 

I was addicted to the Digimon games they had. 

I remember the launch of youtube, it was the coolest thing ever, even with all the buffering. XD

@@PoisonClaw, I also joined Gaia, I'm still a member of the site and I still play games there, tho I don't go there as often as I used to.

• Brohoof 1

you should have gone to the library that what I did haha. Also I havent seen the recent digimon, was it that bad?

I actually printed from the library as well though it came out in black and white as opposed to colour--colour was disabled as thousands of students used the printing services every day. As for Digimon... 02 was dubbed terribly due to the constant bad jokes and reusing the same songs over and over--I personally liked them though not like that--but it became really good when Black WarGreymon came on the scene, changing the dynamic of the show completely.

​Digimon Tamers, in my opinion, was the best one because of how dark it gets, yet Digimon Frontier didn't work out as they abandoned the core concept of the franchise by having the children turn into the Digimon. Data Squad was alright though the animation is different from the rest, and Digimon Fusion is still going in terms of the dub. I want to see Digimon Tri personally.

• Brohoof 1

Another thing I remember, there was this website where you could adopt a virtual cat. Cat as in the simplest rendition of a cat, ie jumble of pixels. I got bored with it eventually; by now, it's either dead, or has been starving for over two decades. :P

Oh yeah, and if you're reading this topic and are too young to remember 90s internet, go here: http://oldweb.today/You can experience the internet the way it was way back then. XD Enjoy!

• Brohoof 1

I actually printed from the library as well though it came out in black and white as opposed to colour--colour was disabled as thousands of students used the printing services every day. As for Digimon... 02 was dubbed terribly due to the constant bad jokes and reusing the same songs over and over--I personally liked them though not like that--but it became really good when Black WarGreymon came on the scene, changing the dynamic of the show completely.

​Digimon Tamers, in my opinion, was the best one because of how dark it gets, yet Digimon Frontier didn't work out as they abandoned the core concept of the franchise by having the children turn into the Digimon. Data Squad was alright though the animation is different from the rest, and Digimon Fusion is still going in terms of the dub. I want to see Digimon Tri personally.

That true.

Yeh i almost forgot about digimon Tri! Digimon tamer is pretty good too, the fact the characters are well made.   I have to say that digimon frontier would be my favorite, since instead having the digimon do the fight while the human just stay back, you would have the character do the fighting. I think data squad is the worst second to digimon fusion but i like the animation.

• Brohoof 2

That true.

Yeh i almost forgot about digimon Tri! Digimon tamer is pretty good too, the fact the characters are well made.   I have to say that digimon frontier would be my favorite, since instead having the digimon do the fight while the human just stay back, you would have the character do the fighting. I think data squad is the worst second to digimon fusion but i like the animation.

Digimon Tri brought back many of the original voice cast though not all of them.

• Brohoof 1

Awwwweeee yeee. This was my childhood.

CLASSIC!!!!! 

then there was the ultimate orgy of ultimate destiny too...... *facedesk* 4chan i think that one was from x.x 

ITS PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!

Battleon and Neopets were my favourites back then, I used to spend hours...not to mention almost my entire allowance on playing them (When there was any left over from beyblades or yu-gi-oh cards). We didn't really have a computer of our own much less any internet on it till about late grade school, so back then I had to trek to this computer shop near my school. 

kacheek_blue_baby.gif

Also Club Penguin...though my memories of that site are really vague for reason...

Edited by Atticus of Corgidia

Awwwweeee yeee. This was my childhood.

I had actually completely forgotten that existed until around a year ago when I remembered and looked it up.

Speaking of which, I'm so glad the Chuck Norris joke fad died.

It was extremely memorable though it's a shame that it was followed by Digimon Adventure 02.

Adventure was a cute adventure, almost like a fary tale! at least thats what it makes me feel now xD and pretty nostalgic. I have it ready to watch again sometimes. 

I liked 02 tho. The plot was so cool and i loved they introduced more universes. Here (spain) the dub was pretty good and changed the openings/endings.

Then I watched Tamers but i think i didnt finished. I liked the story, main digimons, and its tone. still i was bitter for lots of years that they didnt continue show in the same adventure/02 universe. I know so much later they confirmed that all seasons coexist and are canon universes, but at that time i thought that they just erease the first show rebooting it. now we have digimon tri which i only watched 4 episodes (imo pretty boring) but im glad they returned. still wish a season set in the future of that universe where all digimon and humans coexist (that was stated at the end of digimon 02)

I watched some fusion episodes and i loved the characters designs, but I miss the real digimon. Then i dont watched the others cause the digimon look more transformers to me xD i know first seasons had some robotic digimon, but nowdays imo theres too much and also the main ones not even digievolutionated 

Habbo Hotel anyone? 

lmao i used to go. not a lot, but still. im amazed this thing is still on lmao, its so ugly.

Also I havent seen the recent digimon, was it that bad?

this one?

Appli_Monsters.jpg

i just watched an ending and looks like a sexy anime lmao

• Brohoof 3

I liked 02 tho. The plot was so cool and i loved they introduced more universes. Here (spain) the dub was pretty good and changed the openings/endings.

Then I watched Tamers but i think i didnt finished. I liked the story, main digimons, and its tone. still i was bitter for lots of years that they didnt continue show in the same adventure/02 universe. I know so much later they confirmed that all seasons coexist and are canon universes, but at that time i thought that they just erease the first show rebooting it. now we have digimon tri which i only watched 4 episodes (imo pretty boring) but im glad they returned. still wish a season set in the future of that universe where all digimon and humans coexist (that was stated at the end of digimon 02)

To me, Digimon Adventure 02 got interesting when Black WarGreymon appeared. He ended up changing the dynamic of the show by being a character who was unstoppable and struck fear into all those who crossed his path, and his final moments were memorable as it showed that he did indeed have a heart despite being artificial. Digimon Tamers was much darker in tone with a much heavier emphasis on death and dealing with forces that were beyond their parameters.

• Brohoof 1

this one?

sig-4814873.Appli_Monsters.jpg

i just watched an ending and looks like a sexy anime lmao

I meant the one with g1 all grow up, but this i never knew there is another one digimon is that good?

Not completely internet related but still something I remember

OHMYGOD that is a masterpiece xD so cheesy so perfect xD I laughed so much

I meant the one with g1 all grow up, but this i never knew there is another one digimon is that good?

aah! was released last octuber or so. I dont know either if its good or not  :rarity:

• Brohoof 1

My one memory that I cling on to was before the 'like' button system. Now everywhere you look online, there will always be the thumbs up/down buttons. Especially on YouTube, the 5 star ratings were more accurate in my opinion. The like buttons feels like a 50/50 thing. It's whether or you 100 percent fully like it, not like it or click on neither button. There is no average score unless you count the ratio of the likes and dislikes.

Best thing that ever happened back then? When my parents got another phoneline so that we could have uninterrupted internet without parents yelling that they wanted to use the phone. XD