Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Memories from the old days of the Internet

Pripyat Pony

I'm 29years old and I had internet since the summer of 1999. of course that was dial-up internet. I remember sound that the modem made when it was connecting to the internet. It was really slow. I remember downloading stuff in kilobytes. in 2004 in the summer I got a broadband internet connection and I was shocked how quickly everything loaded.

@@Shabb3r, Windows XP was the boss. I miss it sometimes...

It's impossible to emphasize how amazing XP was when it came out. You could just leave it running, for days! And it wouldn't crash or anything!

Just listen to these. They're beyond nostalgic.

Good sounds, but I always liked these:

And actually, Windows Me had a great startup sound, too, but it was such a lousy system...

Edited by BlueStreak98
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

My earliest memories of the Internet was the old Windows XP on our family's computer. I used to play games and attempt to create art on MS Paint. I remember going on a couple of forums, but I was too young to really know what I was doing.

Edited by Cash In

Even though I'm a 21 year old pipsqueak, I remember the old internet. Every time I turned on my mom and dad's Windows 98 Computer, it would make that dial up noise. Not to mention, web pages back then were a LOT simpler and smaller. Part of me misses those days. :)

• Brohoof 1

I might not remember the early days of the internet, but I surely remember that time when iPad was released, me and my brother was fighting for a turn to play stupid games in it, the iPad fell into the floor, and we both got grounded. XD

• 1 year later...

I have a simulated working telephone system at home, doing the official thing. That means I can by a ISP server thing and get the real dial-up to work again! I will do that tn the future :Pharynx:

Two forums I loved that basically kicked the bucket a while ago, Nintendo Fan Forum and MTCHW(Music That Could Have Worked, a site dedicated to Smash Bros Brawl, music that would have been cool to see in the game. I really loved going to those sites a lot(MTCHW was like a first home, then NFF was the second), but now they're both no more, this place, Derpi and TFW are the sites I frequent the most now

I remember when I had to still write "DIR: /> win" to enter windows from a command prompt, and also do pretty much anything there.

Here's basically how it looked like

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt9kOs80mToAKHGi3DOfa

And my favorite games were in floppy disks had to be access by DOS. Like this one. It was my favorite.

It's funny that technology here arrived at least between 4 to 6 years later after it was a thing in other countries, so that's why I had to learn to use older equipment because by that time it was cheaper.

Oh wait this was about the internet, my bad.

Of course the classic internet dial is the one I remember the most. And the time you had to wait to get into the very slow and mostly text based internet with very small and pixel emoji-like graphics.

Edited by Ittoni

3 hours ago, Ittoni said:

I remember when I had to still write "DIR: /> win" to enter windows from a command prompt, and also do pretty much anything there.

Here's basically how it looked like

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt9kOs80mToAKHGi3DOfa

And my favorite games were in floppy disks had to be access by DOS. Like this one. It was my favorite.

It's funny that technology here arrived at least between 4 to 6 years later after it was a thing in other countries, so that's why I had to learn to use older equipment because by that time it was cheaper.

Oh wait this was about the internet, my bad.

Of course the classic internet dial is the one I remember the most. And the time you had to wait to get into the very slow and mostly text based internet with very small and pixel emoji-like graphics.

If you edited autoexec.bat and added a "win" command at the end it would execute that command and start Windows. I still sometimes play with command prompt in my Windows 10

19 hours ago, Ittoni said:

I have to do that on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with internet though.

It is easier if you set the PATH variable to the Windows directory (not using "folder" since that is too new of a term), then you can just type "win.com". :mlp_icwudt::mlp_icwudt::mlp_smug:

We didn't have internet until we got a Windows XP computer and DSL when I was about 6, I think. Before that we had an old Windows 95 machine, and I used to absolutely love playing MechWarrior 2 on that thing. I'm obsessed with mecha now because of that (western mecha. Think big, slow machines with an entire battalion's worth of firepower. The hyper-mobile eastern mecha are cool too, but not really my preference). Anyway, I'm going on a tangent again.

When I think "old internet," I remember my days on the original Warrior Cats forums in elementary school, back before it was shut down and the Warrior Cats Roleplaying forum replaced it. I absolutely loved it there. So many good memories of talking to people and roleplaying. I remember a food fight roleplay I used to be in. It was a strange amount of fun. The new forums are alright, but there's like nobody on anymore. It's not quite dead, but at any given moment there's only about fifteen to twenty people online, compared to when the average used to be in the hundreds on the original site. Granted, this was back when forums were much more popular and Discord didn't exist. but still.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you a secret that you must not tell anyone else, ok?

About 3 minutes (make that 25 minutes since that's how long it took) after I dialed-up to the Internet for the first time, I had managed to download a GIF image of Amy Rose :twismile:

I found that both impressing and disturbing at the same time.