Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Notifications not loading up

Jon the VGNerd

Apparently, this is the first time in four years the notification isn't loading up as it used to be. It either takes too long to load or doesn't load up at all, resulting me to open up a new tab just to see who quoted/brohoofed me. Anyone else finding this issue or is it just me?

Would there be other methods of clearing cache without losing my saved passwords from different browsers? Am using Opera, too.

I'm not really familiar if Opera allows for removal of specific things like Google Chrome, to be honest. Have you tried other browsers though? If the problem is only on Opera, then it's a cache removal what should solve, but if it's with other browsers too, then there is another problem. Could you kindly check out?

Hello Jon!

I think I know what's wrong, though it may be something else, but let's see if that's what I think it is.

This issue happens quite rarely and is triggered by a specific thing.

What is The Issue?

When you try to open the notification bar when at least one out of 10 recent notifications contains uncommon characters or symbols, it won't show anything at all or keep loading them forever.

How Does it Look Like?

The notification bar won't load anything.

sig-4811954.sig-4811954.Vflo4X0.png

What May Cause This?

Basically uncommon characters or symbols.

Examples

- If somebody will post a thread, that contains Chinese characters in the title and you'll follow it, your notification bar may broke when somebody will post something there.

- If somebody has special symbols in his/her name like this: sig-4811954.sig-4811954.7CRtKPd.png, your notification bar may break pretty often whenever you'll receive a notification from that member.

Solution

The notification bar should fix itself after some time, when the 'corrupted' notification will sink under new ones.

You can also fix it manually. You just need to delete the 'corrupted' notification. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Open the notifications in a new tab by middle-clicking its icon on the bar or right-clicking -> open in a new tab.

2. Check if any of 10 recent notifications has uncommon characters/symbols. You may see symbols like this sig-4811954.sig-4811954.iHfHhmu.png, that can be shown instead. Some of the Chinese characters are replaced by this, for example.

3. If there is that 'suspicious' notification - remove it.

4. The notification bar should load from now on.

Preventing

If your notification broke by a thread with uncommon characters or symbols - ask the original poster or a moderator to fix its title

If it broke by member's name - ask him if he could change his name

Trivia

- It is possible to break Inbox  as well. It is caused by putting uncommon characters or symbols in conversation's title. Solution is exactly the same - delete the conversation and start a new one with a proper title. (Verified - I've experienced that once here)

- It is possible to break other members' notification bar and inbox on purpose. You may be even unaware, that somebody is trolling you that way.

Posting a screenshot of your notifications would allow me to pinpoint the issue, of course assuming, that it's what I think it is.

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2

I'll try that, even if it means losing saved passwords I have on Opera. I use Google Chrome for other uses of course.

EDIT: Try pinging my name or quote me. I've cleared the cache and wanting to test to see if the notifications are working again for me.

Edited by Jon the Bronynerd

Try pinging my name or quote me. I've cleared the cache and wanting to test to see if the notifications are working again for me.

Testing, testing, one, two, *PONY*!

I'll try that, even if it means losing saved passwords I have on Opera. I use Google Chrome for other uses of course.

EDIT: Try pinging my name or quote me. I've cleared the cache and wanting to test to see if the notifications are working again for me.

Done.

..But your notifications should open immediately if that would fix the issue. There's absolutely no need to push more notifications, unless it is/was the issue, that I've described, though it actually may be a coincidence at this point. :twi:

WtvmtpT.png

Ninja'd.  :ninja:

Edited by Rikifive