Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Sparity overstayed it's welcome?

FlareGun45

I'm ready for the hate comments that come with this, so no worries! ;)

Sparity has become a ship before shipping became a thing in this show! It was pretty much the very first ship, and it was created by Lauren herself! This ship was pretty cute at first! A child dragon who has feelings for an older pony, it's happened before! Their relationship grew pretty much till Secret of my Excess, when he let out his feelings, and they've become closer then! It was super adorable, and it kept being adorable from the beginning all the way to Inspiration Manifestation!

Unfortunately, when season 5 emerged, during Castle Sweet Castle, the ship stopped being cute. I mean the plushie was cute and all, but it was at that moment when I realized... ok this thing is still going on without progression? It's been the exactly the same all the way through, Spike has a crush on Rarity, and Rarity friendzones him, which is fine, except for when she uses the crush to get him to do the stuff she wants, which made me furious.

So, what's going to happen with the ship in the future? Are they finally going to get together? Is he going to get tired of her and move on? Is the crush just going to get dropped and never be brought up again? Or is it just going to stay exactly the same how it is without any change whatsoever, yunno the boring way? It can go any way. Spike knows he's being friendzoned, but he stays by her side like the loyal and awesome friend he is. It can go either way, I mean anything is better than how it is now. I'm still waiting for Spike's relationship with Fluttershy to be explored a bit, cause other than Twilight, Fluttershy was Spike's first friend in the Mane Six, and yet their relationship hasn't been explored much yet; and yet we've been having too much Spike and Rarity interaction.

What do you think? Do we expect any kind of change to happen to the Sparity ship in the future?

• Brohoof 4

sig-4812402.large.png

Aw Man, You made Spike cry! Don't you think you're being a little....HARSH!

I was just thinking about his own well-being, brah! :P I'm not gonna make him do anything. I was just stating an opinion, and wanting to know the opinion of other people in this regard. I don't think this would hurt his feelings, he's tougher than that, he ain't a baby! ;) Yunno... not mentally.

No, they won't. I mean, Rarity is an adult while Spike is a child. 

It was a rhetorical question! :P I know Meghan said it ain't happening, but their relationship can still go a number of ways. Either Spike gets tired of her and moves on, or he just stops temporarily and makes his decision when he's older! I'm sure it could also go a number of other ways. It all depends really! :3

I was just thinking about his own well-being, brah! :P I'm not gonna make him do anything. I was just stating an opinion, and wanting to know the opinion of other people. 

Edited by MegaSean45

I think Discord summed the current state of his obsession over her perfectly: "Fear not - your romantic delusions are safe with me."

I really don't know if anything is going to change. "Scaremaster" showed all his chivalry has won her heart to an extent in that of all the characters that surrounded her, she held onto him to feel safe. But it also appears Rarity might be speciesist over dragons (see "Gauntlet of Fire") even though she has made an exception for him, but I just don't know how it will work out in the long run once he gets older.

I guess for now he'll just have to be satisfied with his alone time in his room and his Rarity plush. XD

Edited by Truffles

Oh yeah man now it's gonna buckin' burn, this whole thread! I'll bust your little horse head so you.... you... die?

Let the roasting begin uh!

No, i don't think it overstayed it's welcome. It's an on-going thing and the plushie was just joke. A reference to plushies. 

My guess is that they don't want such a relationship to be in such a show. And i also wouldn't like it to be official. I'd rather like something like at the end of an episode rarity winks at him and he back. It would be obvious how it should be interpreted, but it would mean nothing official, except we all know what's going on ;)

Okay, now that that's over i can write a constructive comment.

No, i don't

Nope, I don't think it has, simply because I have NEVER considered it a 'ship'. It is a baby dragon and an adult pony. It is one of those things that simply doesn't make sense. I think it is cute when Spike has the occasional Rarity obsession and that it what it is, occasional, and that works.

I think by introducing Ember they were testing the waters about him possibly moving on and exploring different possibilities. They also explored it in the comics to a degree with Mina.

I am not tired of his crush on her though... I think it is pretty comical at times, and sometimes pretty adorable.

• Brohoof 3

You seriously doesn't see what's wrong with Spike, who is a child, and Rarity, who is an adult, being in a relationship together?   

well, I believe spike is the one driving the relationship. Not rarity (this is going to be fun)

Edited by trademark2

well, I believe spike is the one driving the relationship. Not rarity (this is going to be fun)

And your point is...?

It's still wrong for a child, such as Spike, to be in an relationship with an adult, such as Rarity, even if the child is the one "driving the relationship".     

And your point is...?

It's still wrong for a child, such as Spike, to be in an relationship with an adult, such as Rarity, even if the child is the one "driving the relationship".     

Please illustrate in more detail why this is wrong? If your point is that spike is too young to function in that way, then maybe... If he isn't then I don't think this is wrong.  Since he has hormonal urgings I would think he would not be. But even if he was, and could bring rarity pleasure, then it would be in character for him to do so. And it would not cost him anything, as far as I know.

Edited by trademark2

A child as young as spike (who is supposed to be eight or nine if I remember correctly) isn't mature enough to make such decisions like that.  

But if you told that to spike, and he disagreed, and rarity also disagreed, what standing would you have to enforce your opinion over theirs?

I've stated my opinion on this many times. Here is the sound bite breakdown

1. Crushes are normal, yes.

2. Outgrowing them is just as normal

3. Spike has seen real development last season

4. Outgrowing the crush would continue the trend

5. Needs to happen internally and not because Rarity sat him down and said ... "This is not happening anymore." This needs to be Spike's moment.

Sparity needs to be killed and allowed to evolve into a real meaningful friendship between them.

• Brohoof 4

A child as young as spike (who is supposed to be eight or nine if I remember correctly) isn't mature enough to make such decisions like that.  

At this point in the show he's actually closer to 16. Even Big Jim speculated he was between 16 and 22 years old now.

• Brohoof 1

It should have been over already. Hopefully the show does end it but they can be too keen on having it around for jokes. But it makes Rarity look selfish the way she is using him sometimes and he can't mature since the relationship can't so he is stuck being a kid with a crush instead of a teen that is attracted to someone. It would be a good Spike moment but I don't know how they would do it without dissapointing some people who like this (even though I assume there is not that many people there must be some). I don't want him just switch to Ember or something (even though I would not mind it it should be later and more subtle if it would happen). If Spike would just switch his crush object he would not look much more mature and Rarity fans might dislike it? I would just say Spike just once says no to when Rarity asks him to do something, in a casual manner and goes to play hoofball with Big Mac or something and after the crush is not mentioned again.

Edited by snowflame

People say Sparity is wrong because "it's an adult and a child". Spike's age is more complicated than that. Yes, Spike is a "baby" dragon. However, Twilight, hatched him when she was a small filly, with her now being a young but fullgrown mare. By that logic, Spike would also be a legal adult by pony standards. Besides, if we're going by age difference, Fluttercord is a FAR worse offender.

• Brohoof 1

It's a kid with a crush on an adult, end of. Seriously, no-one here has had crushes on older guys/girls when they were younger? Ever crushed on a teacher, or a friend's parent? Had posters of pop/rock stars on your walls who were way older than you? It's a natural part of growing up. I see Spike as being mentally around thirteen years old and just as I never married Vince Neil, Spike is never going to have a relationship with Rarity. He'll grow out of his crush and one day, meet a hot dragon babe who he'll want to be with, and look fondly back on his crush as ancient history.

Personally, I ship Spike with Ember, but that's just me.

• Brohoof 2

It's a kid with a crush on an adult, end of. Seriously, no-one here has had crushes on older guys/girls when they were younger? Ever crushed on a teacher, or a friend's parent? Had posters of pop/rock stars on your walls who were way older than you? It's a natural part of growing up. I see Spike as being mentally around thirteen years old and just as I never married Vince Neil, Spike is never going to have a relationship with Rarity. He'll grow out of his crush and one day, meet a hot dragon babe who he'll want to be with, and look fondly back on his crush as ancient history.

Personally, I ship Spike with Ember, but that's just me.

He doesn't need to grow out of it! They can consummate their relationship in season 7 (in fanfiction)

People say Sparity is wrong because "it's an adult and a child". Spike's age is more complicated than that. Yes, Spike is a "baby" dragon. However, Twilight, hatched him when she was a small filly, with her now being a young but fullgrown mare. By that logic, Spike would also be a legal adult by pony standards. Besides, if we're going by age difference, Fluttercord is a FAR worse offender.

Fluttershy is an adult even if younger than Discord. If that is wrong so would a relationship between Arwen and Aragorn. I just don't think it matters when both a physically mature in a work of fiction, these kind of relationships are not that uncommon, there is a tv tropes page even for this thing. Besides Discord was in stone for a thousand years so that does not count that much towards his age in natural way (even if he could hear people talking I assume he mostly was in some kind of a coma or the condition would be too terrible to even think). We don't know how old he was before cased in stone at all. And he certainly does act immature so it's not that kind of imbalanced relationship in comparing maturity like Celestia and practically anyone would be. Additionally since Discord can look anything he wants there is no species issue really.

With Spike it has been said constantly that he is a baby dragon and he acts like it (even if he has matured some) and Rarity certainly treats him that way. Dragons clearly age differently than ponies. And there is a permanent species issue.