Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Sparity overstayed it's welcome?

FlareGun45

With Spike it has been said constantly that he is a baby dragon and he acts like it (even if he has matured some) and Rarity certainly treats him that way. Dragons clearly age differently than ponies. And there is a permanent species issue.

Aw species doesn't matter. furries are differen't species all the time, and they still... well...

It never should have been a thing anyway.
Spike may have lived for this or that long, but thanks to how dragons ages, he will still be a baby dragon, he will still have the appearance of a baby dragon.

But between 16-22?
Then the Mane 6 must have reached their thirties.

And their personalities doesn't fit each other, not even close.
Sparity has probably become the most annoying thing in the fandom.

Sparity has probably become the most annoying thing in the fandom.

Not by a longshot, considering how rarely it's referenced on the show anymore.

Bad OC'S and OOC moments in actual episodes (especially character regressions like Rainbow Dash for example) will always be more annoying to fans than any ship.

• Brohoof 1

Not by a longshot, considering how rarely it's referenced on the show anymore.

Bad OC'S and OOC moments in actual episodes (especially character regressions like Rainbow Dash for example) will always be more annoying to fans than any ship.

by a long shot, some fans defend it like a redneck defends their patriotism.

OC's and OOC moments?

nothing wrong with that, i've never been bothered by any of those, and the majority of fans i've watched talking here and there, won't say much, so it can't be that annoying.

OC's and OOC moments? nothing wrong with that, i've never been bothered by any of those, and the majority of fans i've watched talking here and there, won't say much, so it can't be that annoying

The amount of negative posts over episodes like "Princess Spike," "Spike at Your Service," "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well", "Newbie Dash," and "The Cart Before the Pony" say otherwise. If fans found Sparity the most annoying thing you would expect episodes like "A Dog and Pony Show," "The Secret of my Excess," and "Inspiration Manifestation" to be hated a lot more.

Even the "If you could choice (sic) 3 episodes to erase from FiM which 3 would you choice (sic)?" thread doesn't list a single Sparity episode as one that should be erased forever. It's all episodes with OOC moments or other more serious flaws than shipping a fictional teenage dragon with a fictional 20-something mare.

• Brohoof 1

The amount of negative posts over episodes like "Princess Spike," "Spike at Your Service," "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well", "Newbie Dash," and "The Cart Before the Pony" say otherwise. If fans found Sparity the most annoying thing you would expect episodes like "A Dog and Pony Show," "The Secret of my Excess," and "Inspiration Manifestation" to be hated a lot more.

Even the "If you could choice (sic) 3 episodes to erase from FiM which 3 would you choice (sic)?" thread doesn't list a single Sparity episode as one that should be erased forever. It's all episodes with OOC moments or other more serious flaws than shipping a fictional teenage dragon with a fictional 20-something mare.

i'm talking about how Sparity fans defend that ship with what seems like their lives depended on it.

of course not if we talk about all those episodes combined, but sparity has happened over several seasons, while Princess Spike was just a single episode that happened once.

You can call me a specieist, but I do not see a dragon and a pony fitting together. I just.... don't. Plus, Rarity has shown that she really has zero romantic interest in him, even though she knows he has a crush on her. 

I say let it die and let them just be friends. 

i think its gotten to the point where the friendzone has set in. I have a friend who we're in the same boat irl. Ive told him im no longer interested and that I am happy with my current life choices and situation and he's just had to accept it and has been carrying on his own way. I know he's still in love with me, but its just not going to happen. I believe that is where the Sparity ship is too. After the Secret of my Excess episode, it just closed the book on the ship. 

Rarity knows now, but she also knows it just wont happen between them, so its better if they keep it as close friends. Besides, she's still looking for that unicorn stallion of hers. Sorry Spike. Keep dreaming, at least he'll always have Radiance in his comics.

• Brohoof 1

Just to be clear: them being two different species does not bother me one bit! I mean remember Donkey and the dragon from Shrek? ;) Same exact thing! I mean of course unless y'all have a problem with those two as well! :P 

As for the child and adult thing.... I got mixed feelings on that. Dragons age much slower than ponies so Spike is at least close to adult in pony standards, but still a child in dragon standards. But I guess it still doesn't look right, perhaps. I'm not sure how to answer that.

• Brohoof 1

I'm ready for the hate comments that come with this, so no worries! ;)

Sparity has become a ship before shipping became a thing in this show! It was pretty much the very first ship, and it was created by Lauren herself! This ship was pretty cute at first! A child dragon who has feelings for an older pony, it's happened before! Their relationship grew pretty much till Secret of my Excess, when he let out his feelings, and they've become closer then! It was super adorable, and it kept being adorable from the beginning all the way to Inspiration Manifestation!

Unfortunately, when season 5 emerged, during Castle Sweet Castle, the ship stopped being cute. I mean the plushie was cute and all, but it was at that moment when I realized... ok this thing is still going on without progression? It's been the exactly the same all the way through, Spike has a crush on Rarity, and Rarity friendzones him, which is fine, except for when she uses the crush to get him to do the stuff she wants, which made me furious.

So, what's going to happen with the ship in the future? Are they finally going to get together? Is he going to get tired of her and move on? Is the crush just going to get dropped and never be brought up again? Or is it just going to stay exactly the same how it is without any change whatsoever, yunno the boring way? It can go any way. Spike knows he's being friendzoned, but he stays by her side like the loyal and awesome friend he is. It can go either way, I mean anything is better than how it is now. I'm still waiting for Spike's relationship with Fluttershy to be explored a bit, cause other than Twilight, Fluttershy was Spike's first friend in the Mane Six, and yet their relationship hasn't been explored much yet; and yet we've been having too much Spike and Rarity interaction.

What do you think? Do we expect any kind of change to happen to the Sparity ship in the future?

Spike will never get with Rarity. If only because Rarity is at least eight years older than Spike. Assuming Rarity is twenty three and Spike is fifteen. I doubt the writers will ever get in to a relationship between a teeanger and an adult.

I'm trying to recall where Sparity went. Wow, it's been a while since I thought about it.

I think, like originally I had said (can't remember which episode) that Spike at some point, came to terms with accepting that his relationship with Rarity wasn't going to go into a romantic direction and that he understood that. At the very least, he could still remain close friends but the love was never going to go further than a small crush and silent admiration for each other. It was an episode where I felt they actually did have Spike mature in that episode pretty well overall. But I can't for the life of me, remember which episode that was where it seemed like he was finally maturing. (I want to say it's the one where Rarity goes crazy with magical power).

But I think of the last few seasons, they seemed rather inconsistent with Spike and Rarity on this relationship. I think they still wrote him like he was still having a crush and would still do anything for her, while Rarity still seemed to have admiration and feelings for Spike (but in a more family oriented way where she treats him more like a nephew that she likes). So, I'm not really sure where it's gone for the last couple of seasons, someone refresh my memory. 

Edited by pony.colin

I think Meghan McCarthy repalced Sparity with FlutterCord as the "main fandom ship" because she can actually tease it and explore it with them in a Beauty and Beast scenario instead cringing over the fact that some people really wanted romantic relationship between child and an adult.

I'm trying to recall where Sparity went. Wow, it's been a while since I thought about it.

I think, like originally I had said (can't remember which episode) that Spike at some point, came to terms with accepting that his relationship with Rarity wasn't going to go into a romantic direction and that he understood that. At the very least, he could still remain close friends but the love was never going to go further than a small crush and silent admiration for each other. It was an episode where I felt they actually did have Spike mature in that episode pretty well overall. But I can't for the life of me, remember which episode that was where it seemed like he was finally maturing. (I want to say it's the one where Rarity goes crazy with magical power).

But I think of the last few seasons, they seemed rather inconsistent with Spike and Rarity on this relationship. I think they still wrote him like he was still having a crush and would still do anything for her, while Rarity still seemed to have admiration and feelings for Spike (but in a more family oriented way where she treats him more like a nephew that she likes). So, I'm not really sure where it's gone for the last couple of seasons, someone refresh my memory. 

In Dungeons and DIscord which is a recent episode, he still imagine Rarity to be his Princess that he want to rescue. So there's no actual development since S1 when it comes to that plotline. It's like CMC still searching for their cutie marks, i hope Spike will solve his issue with Rarity in S7 once and for all and perhaps the show will focus more on what Fluttershy actually think of Discord. This one is more tricky. We had 90% of Discord episodes focused on him being very clingy and overprotective of Flutterhy, some even say that he really has a crush on her. YET it is Fluttershy who blush over him in his arms, EVEN when out of these two, she had shown almost no behavior that focused on him, like not even mention him in other episodes or when she's trapped in Starlight's town. So it's an ankward writing where Fluttershy supposedly fall for him without interest in him while Discord can't live without her and risk his life for her but he does't seem to really blush over her at all.

perhaps the show will focus more on what Fluttershy actually think of Discord.

Considering JDL indicated he doesn't think he's even appearing at all in S7 and won't be in the movie, it's looking like Fluttercord (and Dislestia) is now in the same boat as Sparity. =/

Considering JDL indicated he doesn't think he's even appearing at all in S7 and won't be in the movie, it's looking like Fluttercord (and Dislestia) is now in the same boat as Sparity. =/

Discord might not be in there but Fluttershy might still make a fluttercord focused episode. She barely appeared in Smooze episode and S6 finale she only had one scene. Discord might be abducted and we may finally see Fluttershy's point of view regarding her "friend"

• 9 months later...