Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Book recommendations

Aqua Sunshine

The only book I've ever read from start to finish is The Count Of Monte Cristo, and from what people have said it's one of the best there is (And I'd agree.) The only scary thing about it is how scarily long it is, something like 1200 pages I think?

Edited by Mimikyu Mothra
  • Brohoof 2

Lord of the flies and Animal farm are mine favorite classic, i would recommend it, if you haven't read them yet. 

Hi, !

I've edited your topic slightly so it's more discussable with the rest of the community. Any content regarding recommendations for yourself are more suitable as a status update or blog entry. :D

Hi, !

I've edited your topic slightly so it's more discussable with the rest of the community. Any content regarding recommendations for yourself are more suitable as a status update or blog entry. :D

Thank you! I'm new here and I'm still learning haha!

Romance, action, dystopian, medieval... I read anything

Anything by David Eddings, Christopher Rowley or Anne McCaffrey.

Also the Xanth series by Piers Anthony is a lot of fun if you can tolerate the puns and his peculiar way of writing at times.

Anything by David Eddings, Christopher Rowley or Anne McCaffrey.

Also the Xanth series by Piers Anthony is a lot of fun if you can tolerate the puns and his peculiar way of writing at times.

If you want piers anthony I would personally go with bio of a space tyrant series. The xanth books were good too but idk.

I never heard of Christopher Rowley, yay a new author

Edited by trademark2

If you want piers anthony I would personally go with bio of a space tyrant series. The xanth books were good too but idk.

I never heard of Christopher Rowley, yay a new author

BoaST was a good series, except the last book.... maybe because it came out so many years later, but I just did not enjoy it as much. I liked Xanth a lot, especially the earlier titles, but have not read the last few since I went to other authors. Eventually I will get around to it.

Rowley is pretty good... I especially like his Basil Broketail series and the world and lore it created. I really wish he would return to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2

1: Darth vader and the cry of shadows its a fun little read

2: the Grimm's fairytale collection well its a strange one compaired to the Disney versions of said stories

another book i remembered is 'a morbid taste for bones'

that sounds like a fun read i'll look into it

(edited)

I have 2

1: Darth vader and the cry of shadows its a fun little read

2: the Grimm's fairytale collection well its a strange one compaired to the Disney versions of said stories

that sounds like a fun read i'll look into it

its the first book in a series about a detective monk in the middle ages. It is very relaxing to listen to as an audiobook (thats how I 'read' it). I ussually don't like detective stories but something about this one drew me. hope you enjoy it!

Edited by trademark2

I'm a huge gamer, and rarely leave my computer, or Xbox... There is only two series of books that has ever got me to shut down my things to read...

"The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod", a series of books about a halfling vampire trying to live a normal life in high school, while learning to control his vampiric abilities.

"The Slayer Chronicles", a spin off series of books about a kid becoming a vampire hunter after the death of his younger sister, who also tries to live a normal life, but needs to balance it with his quest of killing powerful vampires to save humanity.

My favorite part about these series is that they crossover with one another, taking place in the same world. The rivalry between the main characters of these series reminds me a lot of Snowflake Frostflame, and Rave Darkmane's rivalry. So far I've read 2/5 of "The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod", and 1/3 of "The Slayer Chronicles". I'm thinking of buying more books, but the book store near my home doesn't seem to sell either series anymore... I mean I could buy them online...

There also seems to be two graphic novels of the first two books in "The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod". Which makes me kinda wanna buy them, and reread the stories.

But yeah I'd highly recommend either series.

• 4 years later...

The Wind in the Willows, The Golden Age, Dream Days, by Kenneth Grahame. Beautiful mastery of the human language. The air was wine; the moist earth-smell, wine; the lark's song, the wafts from the cow-shed at top of the field, the pant and smoke of a distant train,—all were wine,—or song, was it? or odour, this unity they all blended into? I had no words then to describe it, that earth-effluence of which I was so conscious; nor, indeed, have I found words since. I ran sideways, shouting; I dug glad heels into the squelching soil; I splashed diamond showers from puddles with a stick; I hurled clods skywards at random, and presently I somehow found myself singing. The words were mere nonsense,—irresponsible babble; the tune was an improvisation, a weary, unrhythmic thing of rise and fall: and yet it seemed to me a genuine utterance, and just at that moment the one thing fitting and right and perfect.” This man’s words are wine.

Any of the Wooster/Jeeves books by P.G. Wodehouse. Hilarious screwball comedies from another master of his craft.

The Narnia series, by C.S. Lewis. Perfect, true and brilliantly written literary masterpieces.

The Prydain series, by Lloyd Alexander. One of my favorite series of books and origin of The Black cauldron later made by Disney (and lacking much of the books’ punch).

LOTR and The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien. No need for much discourse here. The books dwarf the movies (pun not intended, but I’ll run with it anyway).

Alice’s adventures Under Ground/Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll. Beautiful, fanciful and fascinating work of art from a great man.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming that the friend is willing to read any one book I recommend, I may choose either Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson or the fifth edition of Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics.

Assuming that the friend is fully committed to understand as much as they can about the contents of any book I suggest, then perhaps I would choose Murray Rothbard's Man, Economy, and State with Power and Market.

Oooo I love what this thread could possibly turn into because I’m always down for book recommendations.

I have tons but I’ll post a couple of my favorites. I’ll post more every so often. I know I always need more recommendations for books to read lol.

Shades Children - Garth Nix

The Modern Faerie Tale series by Holly Black (all three books, Tithe, Valiant and Ironside. All three were really good)

The whole Demonata series by Darren Shan. I quite liked them.

Griffins Castle by Jenny Nimmo

The Magick and The Healing - Nick O'Donohoe (I only paid a buck for this book at my local bookstore. It’s one of my favorites.)

The Abhorsen series by Garth Nix 

The Claidi Journals by Tanith Lee