Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Anime Discussion Thread

Goodra

Since were discussing here I need some help finding more mature theme anime.

I'm interested in stuff that's also a bit more grounded in reality.

Perfect Blue comes to mind as the sort of thing I would be interested.

What about deathnote more of a teen anime because a dark story. Deathnote is a manga with 12 books and a t.v series. It's about Light Yagami who is the #1 student in Japan and he sickened by other humans because of all these crimes. He finds a notebook called the Death Note which was dropped by a shinigami (japanese for god of death) which kills a person in the way and time you specify after writing their name. He decides to use this to create a peaceful world by eliminating criminals with the notebook but he has to hide from detectives at the same time. They use a lot of logic and stuff it's really good I highly recomend it.

• Brohoof 1

I just randomly came across the "official" channel for Cardfight!! Vanguard. I dunno if this is actually official or the guy who uploaded it is just calling it official. It's one of those card-game type anime. I'm in the middle of episode 1 and I like it, even though it's typical as all get-out.

Aw man, I also miss this show.

Watched the first five or six episodes I think. I also think more anime need to use rap in their theme songs, it always fits well. (Yes, I liked the One Piece rap)

I'd love to get some recs from fellow bronies and pegasisters for "Slice of Life" anime. I am into things such as Nichijou, Wlecome to the NHK, Chuunibyou ect. Of course, I will return the favour with recommendations, if need be! :3

I'd love to get some recs from fellow bronies and pegasisters for "Slice of Life" anime. I am into things such as Nichijou, Wlecome to the NHK, Chuunibyou ect. Of course, I will return the favour with recommendations, if need be! :3

It depends what you mean by "slice of life".

Some people think "Slice of life" as one of those dramatic series that takes place in highschool, while others think of "moe moe" anime like K-on. 

It would be easier to ask what you're looking for in the series. 

It depends what you mean by "slice of life".

Some people think "Slice of life" as one of those dramatic series that takes place in highschool, while others think of "moe moe" anime like K-on. 

It would be easier to ask what you're looking for in the series. 

I'm fairly certain that slice of life is hard to mistake, whatever seems like a chill show where they are mellow and stuff happens. This is what I consider as slice of life anyways.

I'm fairly certain that slice of life is hard to mistake, whatever seems like a chill show where they are mellow and stuff happens. This is what I consider as slice of life anyways.

People often mix up the definition from what I've seen, which is why I just don't personally use it, myself. But yes, it's supposed to be where not much happens, but you know, a little bit does.

People just never use tags correctly, and it confuses me. :V

I like anime, generally the "girly" sort. The ones with the sparkly/flowery backdrops and such things, but that's what I enjoy. To name a few that I've seen of this nature are Cardcaptor Sakura, Kimi ni Todoke, Sailor Moon, Fruits Basket (pretty sure it had stuff like that, right), and the list goes on..

Is any one a fan of Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni?

It's my favorite anime I've ever watched ever.

The plot is just so freaking awesome. (The characters as well)

I suggest it to anyone that can handle the gore :P

So I just finished Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and it was possibly the best anime I have ever watched. I need another anime that has the same feel as it.

In relation with the image.

FEEJP.png

My two personal favourite Slice of Life anime are "Azumanga Daioh" and "School Rumble"; Both are very humerous and have great animation, in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

Someone mentioned Azumanga Daioh already and that's a great one. Another good one is Lucky Star as well. 

Be careful though. Like Shinobu said many people confuse what "slice of life" actually is. There is a difference between a romantic comedy and slice of life but many confuse the two.

Something like Toradora can be easily confused for a slice of life anime when it's actually a romantic comedy.

Edited by Discordian

since I'm an anime fan myself, I wanted to reply to this topic XD ok, my fave anime has to be FLCL, as it is...well...the term "random" comes to mind, but I really think that it is a sort of organized randomness and the show is only 6 episodes long too XD

other anime shows I'm into include To Aru Kagaku No Railgun (which I'm currently watching), Azumanga Daioh, K-On! and Beck Mongolian Chop Squad (as they're about the life of rock musicians), Haruhi Suzumiya and all the hype that surrounded the show and also...more anime shows that unfortunately don't come to mind right now...

Edited by Delzepp

So I just finished Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and it was possibly the best anime I have ever watched. I need another anime that has the same feel as it.

Steins;Gate

Literally like. The exact same feels. Although perhaps not as strong. It's a full season, so it's longer. It has much more comedy. More sci-fi than fantasy. Less stupid, middle school girl drama/crying (one thing I put as a con for Madoka). It's definitely less of a feels series than Madoka, but it's still got some.  

• Brohoof 1

So many of the MLP voice actors also do anime, so it's kind of funny to hear their voices pop up where you least expect them.

While I hate dubbed anime, I found your post to be absolutely awesome. Just because my mind is always blown with things like this.  

You know, since this is an anime thread on a Pony forum, I just have to post these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQEcehtHV3I (NSFW language- Black Lagoon is awesome)

So many of the MLP voice actors also do anime, so it's kind of funny to hear their voices pop up where you least expect them.

I was not aware stuff liek this existed. I've only ever read the Death Note manga so I didn't know Spike's VA was in it! (I only watch anime dubbed unless there is no dub like Pandora Hearts and Toradora)

And yeah, Black Lagoon is awesome. I haven't seen anything past the first season of the anime but I read everything in the manga up to the soldier maid story arc. (I dunno if the author has done anything after that yet. I know they take a lot of time between volumes to research the locales so they are accurate)

I'm not too bothered to go back and look, but has anyone suggested watching Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai yet?

It's pretty melodramatic, but quite humorous as well. Also, it's kinda slice-of-life...ish.

It's pretty melodramatic, but quite humorous as well. Also, it's kinda slice-of-life...ish.

Slice of life...ish indeed. That has a lot of very awkward moments in it, but that's where it get it's comedy from. I don't really get into the slice of life genre, but that one was entertaining.

I was not aware stuff liek this existed. I've only ever read the Death Note manga so I didn't know Spike's VA was in it! (I only watch anime dubbed unless there is no dub like Pandora Hearts and Toradora)

And yeah, Black Lagoon is awesome. I haven't seen anything past the first season of the anime but I read everything in the manga up to the soldier maid story arc. (I dunno if the author has done anything after that yet. I know they take a lot of time between volumes to research the locales so they are accurate)

Regarding Death Note, I didn't watch the dub either- I found that clip through a google search.  Apparently A good number of FiM actors were also in Death Note (and Black Lagoon for that matter- though Gundam 00 takes the cake by far). For instance, Naomi Misora is played by Celestia herself, Nicole Oliver. 

And they did animate Roberta's arc, so I presume the manga went further than that. The dub is worth checking out though, as it is probably Ocean Studios' strongest yet.  If anything, it's worth checking out just to hear Gilda and Spitfire's voice actress dropping F-bombs left and right. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've never gotten into anime and it really annoys me because I want to but can never get that feel while watching it. Bleach is an anime that I like and watched a few episodes of, so I guess that's my taste in anime... can anypony suggest more like it?

Also, I loved Avatar: The Legend of Aang even though it's not an anime, it does come close... right?

well, when it comes to anime, there are really tons of genres, what are you searching for, specifically? what type of anime? which genre do you think will suit you?

Edited by Delzepp

If you like Bleach, then you will probably like Yu Yu Hakusho. It's similar in the regard that it has a lot of secondary characters and a lot of fighting, but I personally think YYH is far superior to Bleach. You might also like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood because it has a lot of action and adventure compounded over drama and philosophical stuff like in Avatar. FMA is more mature than Avatar, but it also has a much more sophisticated story, and I've never met someone who didn't like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. You don't have to watch the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime to watch Brotherhood, and in fact, I would recommend that you don't watch it because it will just confuse you.

Also, Rurouni Kenshin is a also very good anime, and I would consider it a classic. It's one of my personal favorites. Other than all that, I can't know which kinds of anime you would like without more specifics in regards to genre.

Edited by MelancholicMemory
  • Brohoof 4

Hmm action oriented anime? there's lots out there,

Naruto (of course)

One piece(also, of course)

Blue Exorcist

Full metal Alchemist +brotherhood

Fairy tail

Soul Eater

High School of the Dead

Deadman Wonderland

CODE GEASSSS

Well, those are the ones off the top of my head, go search! Theres tons out there. Personally, im more into psychologicals and thrillers such as Elfen Lied, Mirrai Nikki, and Steins;Gate. Hmm those 3 listed all have an element of romance... perhaps im into that too.

Edited by Reversalx
  • Brohoof 2

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is highly recommended.  It tells a very consistent, solidly written story with a great plot, a large cast of characters, and just overall has this really epic feel.  It tells its story over 64 episodes, and *every one of them* counts.  Not a single second is wasted on filler, everything is there either to serve the characters or the overall story.  Great stuff.

• Brohoof 2