Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Anime Discussion Thread

Goodra

High School of the Dead Deadman Wonderland Well, those are the ones off the top of my head. Personally, im more into psychologicals and thrillers such as Elfen Lied, Mirrai Nikki, and Steins;Gate. Hmm those 3 listed all have an element of romance... perhaps im into that too.

As awesome as all of those animes are, I don't think they are really suited for people who are just starting to get into anime. huh.png

• Brohoof 1

As awesome as all of those animes are, I don't think they are really suited for people who are just starting to get into anime. huh.png

Haha truce. I cant think of any that are "good for starters", personally, it's all dependant on taste.

In that case, Vengeance, start with FMA or Fairy tail; my friend loves those animes and he just started.

well, when it comes to anime, there are really tons of genres, what are you searching for, specifically? what type of anime? which genre do you think will suit you?

Other than all that, I can't know which kinds of anime you would like without more specifics in regards to genre.

I think that's a reason why I'm finding it hard to get into, I need to find a genre I like. XD

Hmm those 3 listed all have an element of romance... perhaps im into that too.

That's a thing I liked about Avatar: TLA, the romance/personal connections it had the characters, the action in it, the comedy, and where it was set (a full world, traveling across different nations etc) is the type of genre I guess I would like.

Edited by Vengeance

Most of the ones I like are lesser known ones, DNAngel, Sword Art Online, and while not really high on my list are Persona 4 and K-Project. as well as some of the previously mentioned ones.

Edit: also Darker then Black

Edited by SorenWolf

Naruto is something i can highly suggest to you.

Its a show that will make you cry,smile,laugh and get you existed.

I don't know how many times i've laughed and i've shred tears multiple times. The characters are for the most part extremely well developed and there is a huge depth in the story.

• Brohoof 3

Well, as you can tell from my avatar, I really like DBZ. Dragonball and Dragonaball Z are a lot of people's 'entry anime', though the slow pacing of the show can drive some people away.

I recommend Gurren Lagann or the Appleseed movies to start off with, that's how I got into anime.

Edited by ~Lawful Jordo~
  • Brohoof 1

well i guess i'll point out some good anime that people have missed out that you may want to check out, i'm not much into shonen jump stuff.

Baccano

Durarara (watch Baccano first for a finer experience)

StarDriver

Wolfs Rain

Ouran HighSchool host Club (rely chaeck this one out it may have allot of man service in it but its riot of a comedy)

Folly Cooly

Fullmetal Alchemist (the 2003 version before FMA brotherhood)

those are what i would recommend as a starting off point there are a ton more i could recommend and talk for hours about but that would be for another time.

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 1

I think that's a reason why I'm finding it hard to get into, I need to find a genre I like. XD

That's a thing I liked about Avatar: TLA, the romance/personal connections it had the characters, the action in it, the comedy, and where it was set (a full world, traveling across different nations etc) is the type of genre I guess I would like.

Adventure and romance? one piece is quite the adventurous anime, but it can be tedious to some people in the beginning.

For me, nothing exemplifies romance more than Steins;Gate, as the concept of love introduced in it really left me awestruck.

As Vicke stated, Naruto is an anime i can recomend to anyone.

Naruto is something i can highly suggest to you.

Its a show that will make you cry,smile,laugh and get you existed.

I don't know how many times i've laughed and i've shred tears multiple times. The characters are for the most part extremely well developed and there is a huge depth in the story.

Naruto is one that I've been meaning to watch, and seeing as people are suggesting it I guess I'll give it a try soon.

Well, as you can tell from my avatar, I really like DBZ. Dragonball and Dragonaball are a lot of people's 'entry anime', though the slow pacing of the show can drive some people away.

I recommend Gurren Lagann or the Appleseed movies to start off with, that's how I got into anime.

Hmm, Dragonball. I remember watching that a few times when I was younger, it always seemed a bit... different to me, though that was years ago so I guess I'll give that a try too.

Edited by Vengeance

man brotherhood's fine, but I don't think I get how you guys will ever value that over the original.

My personal two favorite animes are Outlaw Star and Welcome to the NHK. Durarara's nice, how dare none of you guys mention Cowboy Bebop yet, if you're into silly childish superheroes I'd recommend you check out Yattaman, blah blah blah

In fact I'm gonna echo this again: HOW DARE NONE OF YOU GUYS MENTION COWBOY BEBOP YET?

Edited by Lord Bababa
  • Brohoof 2

man brotherhood's fine, but I don't think I get how you guys will ever value that over the original.

My personal two favorite animes are Outlaw Star and Welcome to the NHK. Durarara's nice, how dare none of you guys mention Cowboy Bebop yet, if you're into silly childish superheroes I'd recommend you check out Yattaman, blah blah blah

In fact I'm gonna echo this again: HOW DARE NONE OF YOU GUYS MENTION COWBOY BEBOP YET?

My roommate really likes Cowboy Bebop. That's the next anime I think I'm going to watch. I hear about it everywhere.

From what I've heard, it's pretty good.

Adventure and romance? one piece is quite the adventurous anime, but it can be tedious to some people in the beginning.

For me, nothing exemplifies romance more than Steins;Gate, as the concept of love introduced in it really left me awestruck.

As Vicke stated, Naruto is an anime i can recomend to anyone.

I've heard of One Piece quite a lot actually, and by looking at the wiki it looks quite interesting. What is it about exactly? The wiki doesn't really give good information on the story.

:( i feel guilty now....... i'll mention Trigun to repent for my sins WATCH TRIGUN, also Hellsing Ultimate

also yay we have the same fav anime, and NHK is good but i wouldn't call it a starting off point 

• Brohoof 1

In that case, I would recommend Rurouni Kenshin (maybe...), Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. They have all of those things you like. If you want a more romance/ comedy The English dub of the anime was really good

Baccano

Durarara (watch Baccano first for a finer experience)

Ouran HighSchool host Club (rely chaeck this one out it may have allot of man service in it but its riot of a comedy)

Folly Cooly

I second all of this.

Well, as you can tell from my avatar, I really like DBZ. Dragonball and Dragonaball are a lot of people's 'entry anime', though the slow pacing of the show can drive some people away.

As great as Cowboy Bebop may be, it isn't the kind of anime for getting people into anime from the beginning. I think a more basic anime like Naruto is good for getting someone used to the quirks of anime before delving into anime like Cowboy Bebop. huh.png

I'm not much of an anime person, but I have to say that I really enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Although, it has some pretty intense swearing (and other less than savory stuff) at times... :blush:

I kinda like Naruto, but there's too many 10-minute shots of people standing there and saying each others' names.

Edited by MatrixChicken

I'm not much of an anime person, but I have to say that I really enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Although, it has some pretty intense swearing (and other less than savory stuff) at times... 

I kinda like Naruto, but there's too many 10-minute shots of people standing there and saying each others' names. 

Lol, Naruto isn't even the worst anime for that :P

I'm sure most of you have heard the whole 'DBZ is about two men screaming at eachother for twenty minutes'. 

DBZ and Naruto are both known for god awful filler. 

Still, I enjoy them both. (DBZ more than Naruto, but Naruto is still alright).

The only things I've seen mentioned that I would recommend are Cowboy Bebop, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Yu Yu Hakusho, or One Piece (the latter two are better if you like long, multi-season shows). I would not recommend Naruto or Bleach unless you like the same things over and over again for a billion seasons, but if that doesn't bother you and you're interested in the whole Ninja / OP main characters thing, go for it. 

If you enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender, you should check out Avatar: Legend of Korra! It's only one season at this point, but the action is AMAZING. The romance is eh, but you might like it more than I did. I'm not big into romance. 

If you want a taste of something a little different, I highly, highly recommend Mushi-shi. It's on Netflix (but I'm a purist and think subtitled anime is best anime so... hit youtube up, haha), and it's about a traveling 'exorcist' of sorts who solves problems related to mushi, or other-dimensional spirits. It's beautiful, and it's peaceful at times when there isn't awesome action. It isn't big on humor, though, which is why I recommend...

Samurai Champloo! Another recommendation which I haven't seen yet, and am shocked at the absence of mention. It's funny, the characters are very dynamic, there's action, and the art style is awesome. 

That's all I got.

I've watched the first season of Avatar: The Legend of Korra and patiently waiting on the second season to air. :P

I definitely think I need to check out One Piece with all the suggestions then.

I've watched the first season of Avatar: The Legend of Korra and patiently waiting on the second season to air. :P

I definitely think I need to check out One Piece with all the suggestions then.

Haha, One Piece is pretty long now. I havent watched the anime recently (i read the manga), but there were over 500 episodeslast time i checked, probably even more now XD

I've enjoyed a fair few animes in my time, tho only one has dug into my heart. Digimon, Digital Monsters. 

Some people say its a rip off of Pokemon, however I believe it far exceeds it, mainly cause the Digimon actually are sentient...they can speak and have emotional attachments to their trainers which extends that of Pokemon. 

Series I recommend watching:

1 (originals are the best)

2 (a continuation of the 1st based 7 years in the future)

Series I liked but are of your preference 

3 (a series where series 1 and 2 are TV shows and Digimon is card game (but there are actual Digimon in it don't worry :P))

4 (a complete new take on it, at first I was like ... then watched and was like

pd2.jpg)

and lastly series 6 - Currently no English dub so I had to watch in Japanese with subtitles...but it ruled hardcore. 

Series I recommend you steer clear of...

5 - The series which made me cry so much...BURN IT WITH FIRE.

Digimon+Anniversary+15th.png

LONG LIVE DIGIMON

• Brohoof 1

Actully digimon was first out with their anime + pokemon was released the same year no rip-off there at all. Back to what i was doing, heres the anime list:

Naruto (7/10 slow pace combat sometimes)

Avatar: Legend of Aang (animated series 8/10)

Avatar: Legend of Korra (...9/10 just duh)

Yu-gi-oh 5D's (6/10 depends on if you like yugioh)

Pokémon (8/10 season 1 and up)

Courage (9/10 scary sometimes)

Digimon (all seasons 10/10)

Naruto Shippuden (9/10)

Rock Lee SD (i think it was named but 10/10 :D for ROCK LEE)

Yu-gi-oh (1st and GX 7/10)

Edited by rolle

I'm a pretty big anime fan.  Here are my favorites.

Digimon (was my favorite when I was little, probably hard to get into now)

Noein (sci-fi but with good drama and characters stuff, BEST LOOKING ANIMATION EVER, my favorite opening theme and good music)

Serial Experiments: Lain (sci-fi, creepy, complex, and very very weird)

Fruits Basket (romantic comedy, fable, lighthearted but very sweet and moving)

Gunslinger Girl (drama, great animation and storytelling)

Digimon!!! I completely forget about it. I used to watch it a lot when I was younger, though I remember it being a cartoon and not an anime.

Haha, One Piece is pretty long now. I havent watched the anime recently (i read the manga), but there were over 500 episodeslast time i checked, probably even more now XD

That's good. I like having lot's of episodes there to watch when I want. :D

Digimon!!! I completely forget about it. I used to watch it a lot when I was younger, though I remember it being a cartoon and not an anime.

that is probably because it was on foxkids who also did the very well known dub, but yeah its an Anime based of the digimon games in japan.

but honestly i hardly keep tabs on it anymore after digimon data squad, but I watch Digimon Tamers every now and then because its awesome :D

ok two more recommendations 

Rahxephon, allot of people call it an Evangellion rip off... but its does it better so myah

Gankutsuou, the count of monte cristo - this anime is awesome and unbelievably beautiful 

you know maybe we should start a club were we pick an Anime for everyone to check out and talk about, it could be allot of fun.

what do you think?

Edited by PonyEcho