Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Anime Discussion Thread

Goodra

My favorite types of anime are Shoujo, harem (if it's good) and comedy...and sometimes mech or romantic 

My top five anime are as follows

1. Angel Beats

2. Ichigo 100%

3. Cowboy Bebop

4. Burst Angel

5. Princess Tutu

You say you like Angel Beats!, huh? Well I recently posted a drawing of Yui that I did! you should check it out!  and the reat of the remaining characters

• Brohoof 1

Why do I never see people suggesting DN Angel or Sword Art Online? both are very good anime's albet being rather short (in comparison to anime like Naruto, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, ect.)

DN Angel was pretty good but the manga was infinitely better for the most part imo. I never did finish the manga, however.

Sometimes shorter is better though, means they don't have to resort to Dragon Ball Z Syndrome where they have to constantly make the main character stronger so it never gets boring.

I recently started "Re-Watching" the Yu-Gi-Oh anime, it's much better then i remember it. One really bad thing tho is that i only found it on f*cking english. Which i think totally ruins anime it should be japanese(With english subtitles).

I agree with this. Well, both of the things you said, actually. Yo-Gi-Oh is an anime I watched when I was little and found awesome, but to rewatch it now is just as good! I used to watch the Dutch version of Yo-Gi-Oh, but after I watched one episode in another language (English and Japanese), I found that I had been missing out big time. I prefer English subbed episodes over English dubbed episodes for obvious reasons, and would surely watch some more when I have the time for it! Also, anybody seen Mirai Nikki yet? It's a bit gory and has a pretty bad moral, but the anime itself is pretty good! Just watch it and you'll understand what I mean.

Edited by Sard Shift

I agree with this. Well, both of the things you said, actually. Yo-Gi-Oh is an anime I watched when I was little and found awesome, but to rewatch it now is just as good! I used to watch the Dutch version of Yo-Gi-Oh, but after I watched one episode in another language (English and Japanese), I found that I had been missing out big time. I prefer English subbed episodes over English dubbed episodes for obvious reasons, and would surely watch some more when I have the time for it! Also, anybody seen Mirai Nikki yet? It's a bit gory and has a pretty bad moral, but the anime itself is pretty good! Just watch it and you'll understand what I mean.

What "obvious reasons" are these? If you're going to go onto a "dub sucks always" kind of thing then that's not very obvious because there are many, such as myself, who fully believe that dubs are often better than subs. Sometimes it's universally accepted that some anime are better in English.

What "obvious reasons" are these? If you're going to go onto a "dub sucks always" kind of thing then that's not very obvious because there are many, such as myself, who fully believe that dubs are often better than subs. Sometimes it's universally accepted that some anime are better in English.

"Obvious reasons" for me are that dubbed versions are quite confusing at times. Not only is the animation not always in sync, some of the text on the cards didn't make any sense in Dutch. I agree "obivous" could be taken either way (positive or negative), but I donnot dislike dubbed versions, I just think the work done is, sometimes, sloppy and could be better. I can see what you mean by 'dubs are often better than subs', and I do agree in some cases, but for series like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon this just doesn't count for me, and the Japanese versions are better of those two. It's all my opinion, though.

Edited by Sard Shift

"Obvious reasons" for me are that dubbed versions are quite confusing at times. Not only is the animation not always in sync, some of the text on the cards didn't make any sense in Dutch. I agree "obivous" could be taken either way (positive or negative), but I donnot dislike dubbed versions, I just think the work done is, sometimes, sloppy and could be better. I can see what you mean by 'dubs are often better than subs', and I do agree in some cases, but for series like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon this just doesn't count for me, and the Japanese versions are better of those two. It's all my opinion, though.

I see. I just had to ask. Sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you, didn't mean it that way. It's just that I've seen enough dub snubbing to really piss me off as someone who actually does watch dubs and find many of them very good but have the stigma of "sub > dub, always" weighing over them to the extent that I have literally been attacked and insulted for enjoying subs.

• Brohoof 1

I see. I just had to ask. Sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you, didn't mean it that way. It's just that I've seen enough dub snubbing to really piss me off as someone who actually does watch dubs and find many of them very good but have the stigma of "sub > dub, always" weighing over them to the extent that I have literally been attacked and insulted for enjoying subs.

Don't worry -- it didn't sound anything like you attacked me.

Everywhere I go and talk anime (or any cartoon, for that matter), I find at least one fight about which is better; sub or dub. Honestly, in most cases I find subbed series being just a little bit better, but for some shows, I also find the dubbed versions way better in some cases. A good example for me personally is Spongebob Squarepants. I hate the English (American) version of it, but I absolutely love the dubbed version in Dutch. I grew up with it and I still like it more in Dutch. Mainly the adult animes are the ones I find more enjoyable in Japanese with subtitles then dubbed in another language. But I'm quite neutral in the whole sub >< dub war.

Edited by Sard Shift

I'm neutral to a point. I don't mind if people like a sub better than a dub but it's the people who try to say that no matter what subs are better than dubs and anyone who disagrees is wrong, that's the kind of snubbery that I get into.

• Brohoof 1

My top five animes would have to be...

1) One Piece- I'm only at the last episode of the Alabasta Arc. Oh man. This anime is a perfect score in my opinion. The fighting is done well, there is a lot of character development. There's so much that I can't explain.

2) Dragonball Z- Come on. How can this not be on the list. I guarantee that this show was our entire childhood. Plus, who here hasn't tried a Kamehameha?

3) Shaman King- This anime has the best intro ever. I mean EVER. I'm watching it for the second time. You may not have heard of it, but I strongly recommend watching it.

4) FullMetal Alchemist- I wish they still sold the merchandise where I live. I've seen all of the 2003 anime episodes, and I'm halfway through Brotherhood. This anime has some creepy moment, as well as plenty of action.

5) Bleach- It's so badass. What more to say?

• Brohoof 2

5 - FLCL (Plain non sense thrown in with life lessons that'll get you through your teenage years, so simple and short, but really fun to watch)

4 - Full Metal Alchemist (Just such an interesting series, very unique and well done)

3 - Sgt. Frog (One of the first anime series that had lead me to the anime fandom, I thought that it was hilarious and I still do today)

2 - Soul Eater (I loved the characters, action and humor)

1 - Pany & Stocking With Garterbelt (It's extremely funny)

• Brohoof 1

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.  It's my biggest obsession outside of MLP (and in fact it's what inspired my username).  The story is so tightly written- 64 episodes, *every* one of them counts.  It has a large cast, but every single one of them is memorable and has their chance to shine.  The plot is very involving, and it really expects the viewers to be smart and pay attention.  Things that happen in earlier episodes hevaily foreshadow elements shown much later in the series.  Every character has an arc and fulfills a role in the story.  And the sprawling 15 episode ending is an absolute rollercoaster of emotions;. 

Edited by hawkflame

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z are really the only anime/manga that I can get into. I've tried others, but none of them really captured me like Dragon Ball/Z did. To me, the Dragon Ball franchise is very special, one-of-a-kind, and will always hold a special place in my heart.

Hm, how to organize this in such a way as to not conflict with each other. Alright, let's put it this way. My entry anime was full metal alchemist, and to this day it's one of my favorite anime of all time. 

No, I'm wrong!

My first ever anime was Trinity blood, its what got me into anime and to this day I Love the story and characters of Trinity blood, with able being my favorite. 

Black butler- I've seen both the Japanese original and English dub and its one of the few animes that I actually love the English voices in. take that, add an exquisite story to it,  a cast of interesting characters and Gretel- and you have yourself a damn good anime.

Fate/Zero: This is something I picked up recently and I have to admit, I really like it. If you're looking for something new I would recommend it sometime. 

• Brohoof 1

I've never been much of an Anime fan. Really the only "Anime" I've ever gotten into was Naruto, and even then; that was when I was in 4th grade, and I was narutarded. Anyway, Full Metal Alchemist, Inuyasha, and Bleach all look pretty good.

Has anyone ever heard of Yu Yu Hakusho? It's pretty cool, though not as good as DBZ(Dragonball Z, for anyone who doesn't know) for me. BATTLE OF GODS COMES OUT IN MARCH! WOOP WOOP! Anyways, yeah, Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho are definetly my top two.

4-Space Battleship Yamato: A great, classic space opera with likeable characters and quite possibly the most badass battleship in history.

3-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: A hot-blooded anime with a lot of heart and effort into it that teaches you to get on your feet and reach for the heavens. Plus, they break space.

2-Fist of the North Star: A fantastic martial arts anime, if not THE martial arts anime. Intriguing story and fantastic action sequences makes this old anime still hold up by today's standards.

1-Neon Genesis Evangelion: A great giant robot anime that isn't really about giant robots. it's more character driven and completely deconstructs the giant robot anime in general. Despite its mind fuckery, Evangelion is still good enough to make Sigmund Freud cry.

I don't watch much anime, really. The only ones I've ever gotten in to were Clannad and Death Note. I haven't even finished watching either of them.

My list!

1. Pokemon (yes, I watch the anime)

2.Naruto

3.Sailor Moon

4.One Piece

5. Clannad 

They're all really good, and I like them all! I'm currently still watching the Sailor Moon anime, and I'm hoping to finish it all, if I can. :P 

• Brohoof 2

1. R.Kenshin (I love anything history or samurai......)

2. Sailor Moon (child hood fav of all time)

3. SAO (has online gaming,  nice plot and love the style)

4. Bleach (ahhh my old fanfiction days,  got me to write)

5. DBZ (fighting.....)

• Brohoof 2