Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Anime Discussion Thread

Goodra

I really like comparing Anime to their Manga. It's a hobby of mine. If the anime doesn't have an interesting manga, then it is harder for me to watch the anime

• Brohoof 1

The only mangas I keep up with are Berserk and Attack on Titan. I would like to catch up on Hunter x Hunter some time. :ooh:

@You That's a cool way to post your watch list. :mlp_smug: I've seen 38 of those for sure (are some of those redundant?) Darker Than Black is pretty good, though the contrast between the 2nd season from the first is a bit jarring. There Will Be Blood and Carlito's Way: I didn't know those had anime adaptations. :mlp_laugh:

Right now I'm catching up on Food Wars. Made it into Season 4 territory. :mlp_nom:

• Brohoof 2

My favorite animes are hellsing OVA, Berserk and Evangelion (ending). I don't like at all typical highschool/slice of life/delightful animes, but I love when anime is trippy (hey, Evangelion's ending) or somewhat philosophical. Unfortunately there's not many such animes:(

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, You said:

Since I read that Chrollo is based off a character from Yu Yu Hakusho, I got interested in. I have never heard of it before.

Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Well, The same manga author wrote both Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter, so there are similarities in like the style of art, writing, and humor. Yu Yu Hakusho is about a boy named Yusuke Urameshi who is a typical delinquent and loves to fight. But one day he saves a little boy from being hit by a car, at the cost of his own life. His self-sacrifice was so unexpected that even the afterlife is not ready for him, so the Grim Reaper who he meets (who is a beautiful girl) offers him a chance to come back to life. But only if he becomes a "Spirit Detective" who tracks down and deals with rogue spirits and demons in the living world.

It's a really nostalgiac series to me. :grin:

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Ya boi Stormy 🌩️ said:

Beastars S2 announced fur nxt year. Gonna be guuuuuud!

I'll be watching this too. I’m still curious to find out who dunnit (those who have seen the show know what I’m referring to) and where they’re going to take the main characters. A lot was left hanging in season 1 so I’m looking forward to another round with season 2. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, You said:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I cant believe this is happening

image.png.220cd87935dd887eaaa0066bee779ec4.png

Inuyasha sequel!!!

@Pastel Heart

Wait... if they're daughters of Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha and TWINS, is the mother of them both Kagome? As in children with both Seshie and Inny?

Oh, no wait, the third daughter is mentioned as being Innie and Kagie's kid, so the twins are both Seshie's kids (I'm guessing with Rin, although that seems a bit squicky in it's own right)... never mind... crisis averted.

That is a confusing freaking summary...

Been watching Parasyte the Maxim

got to episode 15 and yea it suuuucks. Keep you waiting for nothing to happen. And there’s a character in the show that’s a total nuisance and when they die like I guess we are supposed to care but they were creepy and annoying so def. didn’t feel anything. Very bland story writing and suffers from what others anime’s have: REPETITIVE FLASHBACKS 

Not continuing it. Next on my list the promised neverland. No spoilers 

• 3 weeks later...

Been watching this anime: Sound!Euphonium 

The reason why I picked it up in the first place was so I could watch the movie that takes place afterwards. I had actually seen the first episode a while back but didn't remember that was the name. Episode 2-4 were grueling to get through but then episode 5 and episode 7 were both amazing! The rest of the first season was really great and the first episode of season 2 was incredible! Gonna try to watch the last 4 episodes of show tomorrow. Really excited. However, a big part of what makes this show great is being built up very heavily, but in the end I feel that it's just going to be a letdown. 

Below I'm gonna talk spoilers so far

Spoiler

So this anime is really pushing these two girls to become a lesbian couple. As in the whole has them have great heartfelt moments that pretty have you saying "just kiss already!" And I love it but I also hate it. Not too long ago I saw "Yuri On Ice" which while it did have alot of Gay undertones, euphemisms, implications it never fully outright took that final big GAY step and actually show a kiss or show gay characters dating or getting married or say they are romantically involved etc. 

In season one the girl Reina has shown that she has feelings for a guy and they just keep getting more out in the open with it, while the main girl, Kumiko, first of all, supports her friend trying to get with that guy, but also has a possible other romantic interest. Despite this the show keeps showing Kumiko and Reina do things, and say things, that are out right "hey those two characters are dating! Or they love each other!" This anime came out a year before Yuri On Ice and if Yuri on Ice didn't have that final big GAY step, I'm starting to doubt this one will, but we shall see I guess. This anime is an anime directed towards teens so I could believe that because it's Japan they wouldn't be to do anything explicitly non-heterosexual, at least for the fact it came out in the year it did.... maybe even if it came out now. I'm kind of hopeful that the movies that come out after the show is over or possibly the new season of the show or even film that has yet to come out will finally take that big GAY step, but honestly idk. Makes me kind of sad. 

Another big problem I have with this show is that Reina's love interest is their 34 year old instructor...she's only 15-16. So yea very fucking weird. And like I said before Kumiko supports this relationship. And the instructor's friends even joke about how the ladies are drawn to him when the high school girls are around him. So far he hasn't shown to be interested in high school girls, but damn it is fucking weird.

I have big hopes for this show, but honestly just feel like it's gonna with me agape and saying..."THAT'S IT!" 

If you have finished the show or anything afterwards (movies, manga, etc.) please no spoilers! 

On 10/24/2020 at 8:55 PM, You said:

Another surprise.

image.thumb.png.a437bf0b5ed8ad7fe13b51cd813d0784.png

https://trakt.tv/shows/maison-ikkoku

I wasn't aware of that Ranma 1/2 had seemingly some kind of unofficial predecessor

Rumiko Takahashi created the original manga for both. You should watch her "Rumic Theater" too. It's an anthology series of somewhat weird slice of life stories. I love the one with the penguin, titled "The Tragedy of P" ! I don't know if it was ever animated, but she did a few stories about a guy who could teleport. The drawback? He could only teleport from garbage heap to garbage heap! LOL!

I almost forgot! Don't forget her classic!

Urusei Yatsura!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anypony else sick of the trend in animes where the LGBT character is just portrayed as a pervert or legit sexually harasses another character and it's meant for fanservice or humorous purposes? 

Any time I see something like that it disgusts me. 

One Punch Man (Puri Puri Prisoner)

Wasteful Days of High School Girls (Lily)

gargantia on the verdurous planet

Izetta: The Last Witch

Chio's School Road (Madoka) 

• Brohoof 2

15 hours ago, Miss said:

Anypony else sick of the trend in animes where the LGBT character is just portrayed as a pervert or legit sexually harasses another character and it's meant for fanservice or humorous purposes? 

Any time I see something like that it disgusts me. 

One Punch Man (Puri Puri Prisoner)

Wasteful Days of High School Girls (Lily)

gargantia on the verdurous planet

Izetta: The Last Witch

Chio's School Road (Madoka) 

Yeah we still also see that in westerns media or the tropes of what makes a character "gay".  We have been seeing more wholesome also in some of the animes/manga in the last few years too with growing awareness of Gay rights and ppl in Japan. 

• Brohoof 1

32 minutes ago, Tao said:

Yeah we still also see that in westerns media or the tropes of what makes a character "gay".  We have been seeing more wholesome also in some of the animes/manga in the last few years too with growing awareness of Gay rights and ppl in Japan. 

Well this is the "anime discussion" thread so dont even need to bring up western media. 

And yea definitely: my favs are bloom Into You, my next life as a villainess and Kase-san.

Other good ones that weren't as explicit are Yuri on Ice and Revue Starlight. 

But this anime I was watching where there was that toxic character trope was from an anime from 2019. And the other times I've seen it were also from recent anime (2015 up). D:

• Brohoof 1