Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Cadance and Twilight really alicorns?

ManaMinori

In FiM, emotions determine the effects of cast magic, as seen in many instances. Celestia explains "if the empire is filled with hope and love" magic that results is positive, but "if hatred and fear take hold-" dark magic results.

Twi and Cady weren't born alicorns, but became them as a result of magic and the emotions that they felt at "ascension". Twilight had displayed qualities of the 6 elements, and Cady defeated an jealous witch.

Twi felt she already as powerful as an alicorn on the inside before she physically became one. Magic comes from emotion/feelings, which come from the heart. In MMC, Twi's purple magic came out of her heart, possibly, like Cadence's. In Coloratura's song, she sings "let the magic in your heart stay true, just like the magic inside of you".

Once magic in their heart comes out and transforms them to what they are on the inside, they take the appearance of alicorns. But it's just that- an appearance. Lacking the biology, longevity, and inherent magic of natural alicorns, explains why magic doesn't animate their hair, or why they won't outlive friends. Twi and Cady are still unicorn and Pegasus, biologically. Just like Twi's friends aren't really Bats or Breezies.

I don't think that is how it works, personally. I think becoming an alicorn is a state of ascension. Ascending to a higher plain of magic. I don't think biology or longevity determines what is an alicorn and what isn't. Could they potentially be lower leveled alicorns compared to Celestia and Luna? Probably, but they are still alicorns all the same.

• Brohoof 4

To answer the question in the title, yes Cadance and Twi are Alicorns. This is one of those things you don't have to read into. They are alicorns because the show said they are on multiple occasions. The audience is free to interpret what that means within the confines of the information we have, but I wouldn't ignore a major show element for the convenience of a theory. 

• Brohoof 1

To answer the question in the title, yes Cadance and Twi are Alicorns. This is one of those things you don't have to read into. They are alicorns because the show said they are on multiple occasions. The audience is free to interpret what that means within the confines of the information we have, but I wouldn't ignore a major show element for the convenience of a theory.

changelings are still changelings under their magical transformation. Breezie mane 6 were still earth/unicorns/pegasi under their magical tansfrmation. Who's to say alicorns under magical transformation aren't still whatever they were originally?

well when we first meet flurry heart, we learn that the royal sisters were not born as alicorns. at least, from what I understand

celestia: "the birth of an alicorn is something equestria has never seen" luna: "it is beyond even our understanding"

https://youtu.be/EwbHEgHA9Aw?t=46s 

so I do not think it is a biological thing that alicorns exist in equestria... and I think the royal sisters might have been in the same situation as cadence and twilight (wasn't it also mentioned that their father (I think it was their father) "gifted" them the flowing manes and tails they have now?)

• Brohoof 1

well when we first meet flurry heart, we learn that the royal sisters were not born as alicorns. at least, from what I understand

celestia: "the birth of an alicorn is something equestria has never seen" luna: "it is beyond even our understanding"

Technically, Celestia and Luna were around longer than the founding of Equestria, so you could say Flurry Heart’s the first "naturally born" Alicorn since the founding of Equestria. The Journal of the Royal Sisters (written of their behalf by Amy Keating Rogers) implied they were born as Alicorns in a faraway land.

Honestly though, whether Alicorns are born or made, as long as they use the powers for the good of their world, I don't really care how they got such power.

• Brohoof 2

No... their Tow Trucks.  Soon to star in My Little Wrecker Service.

But seriously, of course they are alicorns. How they became them is kind of irrelevant... they stopped being what they were and became what they are today. We don't know the full extent of their abilities or longevity in comparison to Celestia and Luna, and honestly I don't think the creators know either.

Or care even.

I honestly don't think they thought much beyond mixing unicorn and pegasus to make mega magic pegasus. Mane 6 breezies were never perma altered, just a simple spell much like Rarity's butterfly wings. Changelings have the natural ability to shape-shift... it is part of what makes them, them. None of that has anything to do with the processes of becoming an alicorn, or their stability as a species.

• Brohoof 1

They're alicorns. They're not the same type as Luna and Celestia, but still Alicorns. 

I'd be interested to see the show go more into Cadance's magical abilities. As she was born a pegasus, she'd have had to learn how to use magic at an older age than other alicorns/unicorns. I'd like to know about how she did that and also the extent of her power. 

changelings are still changelings under their magical transformation. Breezie mane 6 were still earth/unicorns/pegasi under their magical tansfrmation. Who's to say alicorns under magical transformation aren't still whatever they were originally?

Who's to say? Well my argument was that the show said, so I'll stand by that again. I'll give you some headcanon ammunition though ... go watch the first episode's initial scene. They do make a reference to Luna and Celestia using unicorn magic.

Ignoring the curveball The Crystalling threw us, I operate under the assumption that Celie and Lulu were born Alicorns, whereas Cadence and Twilight ascended to Alicornhood

Hence why Celie and Lulu don't have offspring and age exceptionally slowly while Twilight and Cadence are still fertile and age normally

Lacking the ...inherent magic of natural alicorns,

According to Twilight's Kingdom, both Twilight and Cadance have alicorn magic just like Celestia and Luna. Cadance has to give up her alicorn magic as well, and Twilight's magic is referred to as alicorn magic (and alicorn magic was also the only thing that could activate Zecora's potion in Princess Twilight Sparkle).

Pretty sure that they're still alicorns... Just not as powerful as Luna and Celestia are since they were born alicorns... and Twilight and Cadance were turned into ones

According to the The Crystalling, there was "never' a born alicorn up until Flurry Heart. This is coming from Celestia herself. Of course this could be an oversight of the writers, and Celestia most certainly has not seen it all... so it is all open for debate. But as far as "literal show canon" and ignoring head canons, guesses and interpretations... all alicorns were created up until Flurry Heart. As such they should be more or less on the same playing field in ability and power... the only differences would be experience.

• Brohoof 1

According to the The Crystalling, there was "never' a born alicorn up until Flurry Heart. This is coming from Celestia herself. Of course this could be an oversight of the writers, and Celestia most certainly has not seen it all... so it is all open for debate. But as far as "literal show canon" and ignoring head canons, guesses and interpretations... all alicorns were created up until Flurry Heart. As such they should be more or less on the same playing field in ability and power... the only differences would be experience.

Oh right! That's true! I forgot about that part >.<

for the record, she said, the birth (conception) of an alicorn was something Equestria has never seen. Equestria was founded during HwE, and that was around the time the royal sisters came from whatever land they originated from, to rule the ponies of Equestria, as coronated by Starswurl. So the birth of the nation of Equestria, of course, would never have seen a conceived alicorn before, as Sunbutt said

for the record, she said, the birth (conception) of an alicorn was something Equestria has never seen. Equestria was founded during HwE, and that was around the time the royal sisters came from whatever land they originated from, to rule the ponies of Equestria, as coronated by Starswurl. So the birth of the nation of Equestria, of course, would never have seen a conceived alicorn before, as Sunbutt said

That is speculation. You are looking for a loophole based on outside sources. And you could very well be correct.... no one knows... not even the writers since they can change their mind at the drop of a hat, and so many of them have their hands in it all. That being said, going by "literal" canon of the show (nothing else)... until we get something that really says otherwise alicorns are not born, and Flurry Heart is an anomaly. You can't use the comics, or any other merchandise since no one can agree whether they are truly canon or not, again... not even the writers. It is all open into your personal preferences and how you want to explain the lore.