Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Introvert, Ambivert or Extrovert?

Gone Airbourne

I like being alone but I also like parties. I have to withdraw every once in a while in gatherings, even small ones. I don't understand it at all, and it's rather unintentional to 'phase out' during conversations. I've been called a 'deep thinker'. So I don't know what that makes me...

I'm not good at making friends. But I love the few that I have.

Great topic!

• Brohoof 1

I self-identify as introvert, but like most people who do so, that varies quite a bit with circumstances and my mood/feeling of personal security.

I gain friends slowly/rarely and am devastated if I lose one (even more so if I break up with a romantic partner, of course); I am uncomfortable in any groups of strangers larger than a dozen or so, and having to interact with them is physically draining - I need to get away and recharge, take some "me" time.

I am also a bit (ok, a LOT) of a geek, so in my social circles I am not really that unusual, but also probably explains why I spend most of my non-working time on the internet (and sites like this) rather than interacting with people in real life. :) It also sets some parameters for where I feel more secure/comfortable in groups - I can tolerate some hours at geek events, because the strangers around me are much like me - while at a sales type event, or a social party, I feel uncomfortable in minutes and rarely last out an hour.

[and in response to previous comments]

Karaoke is an odd one - I took a strong technical interest in it a while ago (quite a while ago, more than a decade in fact) because it gave me somewhere to hide at parties. Seriously!. I could get a karaoke system up and running (mostly setting up a suitable mixer and amp so as to spare my poor laptop's sound card from abuse, plus various forms of svideo and composite config - HDMI wasn't really a "thing" back then and I had to use whatever TV system they had) then could don a pair of headphones, and apart from processing requests was pretty much ignored for the rest of the night while they argued about who was going to sing "paradise by the dashboard light" next.... I doubt anyone still uses the old CD+G disks these days, but back then they were cutting edge - oldskool was MIDI based :D

I don't mind solitude, on the whole - I have been single now for about three years, and if I am working from home, can literally go for weeks without speaking to another human being other than via text; I do miss having a partner, but my happiest memories are of snuggling up with them while both reading books, rather than anything more active. So.. yeah.

I think of myself as an introvert because I'm not really into hanging out with anyone in a large group (as in parties). I was never one to go to parties during high school and still don't feel comfortable about going to parties or large social gatherings.

• Brohoof 1

I suppose ambivert would be the best to describe me, perhaps leaning more toward introvert.  It's hard to say, really.  I feel uncomfortable in large groups, but I love hanging out with a small group of friends, to the point where I sometimes feel energized.  I also tend to stay in my room when not out and about, doing whatever on the interwebs.  Other than the whole small group of friends thing, I've never been very social, so I would usually be the silent one in class unless someone spoke to me specifically, or a discussion of something I'm very interested in comes up, and it could end up with me rambling.  Often times I wouldn't know what to talk about if it wasn't a topic I knew heavily about.

Kind of why I relate to Fluttershy and Twilight quite a bit.  Maybe not as shy or heavily studious as them, of course, heh.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'm an ambivert? Social interaction in person isn't appealing to me most of the time, but social interaction across the 'net? Absolutely fine. Unless it's with cameras, you can't see my face, go away.

On 2017-2-16 at 11:46 PM, Gone Airbourne said:

:3 I need this shirt xD

If you had it no one would see it.

Edited by FluffyGoat13

• 1 year later...

Well, according to some tests I've done in the past, it's a mix of in-between (most likely ambivert).

But as for my behavior, I do tend to hang out alone, unless my friends are around, but I'm usually quiet until my friend(s) get me into a conversation. When it comes to presentations, I do get pretty shaky for most presentations unless it's a presentation with topics I'm experienced and comfortable with or if it's a group presentation. For the most part, I physically and mentally feel both introvert and extrovert.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I'm a total introvert. Sometimes I have bursts of confidence and that feeling like I can talk to anybody without awkwardness, but it feels so unnatural that my mind tries to suppress it:sealed:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I used to consider myself a total introvert, but now I’m not so sure. I do like being around people but I prefer to have a small group of close friends. I don’t know if that makes me an ambivert or just a more social introvert?

• 2 weeks later...