Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbooms don't seem so special anymore

ManaMinori

Rainbow has done them multiple times, Twilight has done one or two, and Lightning Dust came close to doing one.

Should there be a pony who gives RD a run for her money by pulling off a Moonbow boom, or a double moonbow? (moonbow's are ridiculously rare, and need the right conditions and lighting to happen)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbow

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 2

Didnt know moonbow existed :love: love them aaah

I woud love it if somepony does it, but not RD xD

yeah, definitely not RD. A rival, or something. Would be nice to see whoever do them effortlessly, unlike RD, who struggled with doing hers.

Would be nice to see whoever do them effortlessly,

wouldn't that completely defeat the purpose of them being really cool and rare? I mean if it was just an easy thing that just happened with no effort that would be as boring as walking.

Don't forget how the Wonderbolts handbook treats Sonic rainbooms as a normal flight maneuver that EVERY wonderbolt can do.

Honestly, the sonic rainboom suffers from "So last season". It'd be like if, instead of constantly pulling out newer magic and working on different spells, twilight sat on her teleport spell from S1 and never did any new stuff. She would gradually seem less and less impressive until she just seemed like a normal mage.

Same thing with RD, she's basically just wined and dined on the SR and its lost its luster, leaving her seeming fairly unimpressive.

• Brohoof 2

wouldn't that completely defeat the purpose of them being really cool and rare? I mean if it was just an easy thing that just happened with no effort that would be as boring as walking.

a normal moonbow could be efortless for them, but a double moonbow....

The sonic rainboom is suffering from the exact same problem that the Super Saiyan transformation did in Dragon Ball Z. It's been done enough times that it becomes predictable that it's going to happen again eventually. Even increasing the number of rainbooms (or moonbows or whatever) would still render if predictable, safe, and boring. 

The answer isn't quite as obvious as just "add a second boom to the rainboom" to make it more special or interesting. DBZ tried that with the further Super Saiyan Transformations, and it didn't really do much. The scale of the fighting is what made it interesting. 

With Rainbow Dash, the rainboom being her signature maneuver might not be such a bad idea, but it should no longer be considered special inasmuch. I would love to see her develop a new technique, something that Equestria has never seen before that she's been working on since she perfected the sonic rainboom.

For example, perhaps she'll develop a trick where she moves quickly back and forth while flying that she appears to be in two places simultaneously, or she could work with the trick coordinators to design a partner move with someone, something that she wouldn't be able to pull off alone. 

• Brohoof 2

To make a new interesting and surprising thing, the writers shouldn't be adding to the rainboom. Increasing the magnitude only works for so long. They should throw it out and create an entirely new thing from scratch. Something equally impressive, but never before seen. And add a lot of suspense around it.

To make a new interesting and surprising thing, the writers shouldn't be adding to the rainboom. Increasing the magnitude only works for so long. They should throw it out and create an entirely new thing from scratch. Something equally impressive, but never before seen. And add a lot of suspense around it.

hence, the moonbow. A night rainbow. By a different character

But of course, there could also be iridescent clouds, fire falls, sun dogs, auroras...

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

Eh, that idea sounds kind of silly if you ask me. While it's true that the sonic rainboom isn't as special as once believed, it's not like it's something that everyone and their grandmother can do.  

Edited by Yamet

hence, the moonbow. A night rainbow. By a different character

But of course, there could also be iridescent clouds, fire falls, sun dogs, auroras...

I'm partial to the other options, a moonbow still kind of feels like it's just trying to top the rainboom. I think an aurora would be nice, maybe this time it could be a feat of agility and precision as opposed to shear speed.

hence, the moonbow. A night rainbow. By a different character But of course, there could also be iridescent clouds, fire falls, auroras...

Having another pony do something would require an episode focusing on said character in order to build up any sort of suspense. The pony can't just show up, do this incredible feat no one's ever seen before, and then just suddenly be the gold standard. We need time to see them practicing, to get to know them as a character, to care about them.

• Brohoof 1

Having another pony do something would require an episode focusing on said character in order to build up any sort of suspense. The pony can't just show up, do this incredible feat no one's ever seen before, and then just suddenly be the gold standard. We need time to see them practicing, to get to know them as a character, to care about them.

why not, they did it with Lightning Dust. It could push Rd to improve and develop the same or a better version of the "trick"

Don't forget how the Wonderbolts handbook treats Sonic rainbooms as a normal flight maneuver that EVERY wonderbolt can do.

Honestly, the sonic rainboom suffers from "So last season". It'd be like if, instead of constantly pulling out newer magic and working on different spells, twilight sat on her teleport spell from S1 and never did any new stuff. She would gradually seem less and less impressive until she just seemed like a normal mage.

Same thing with RD, she's basically just wined and dined on the SR and its lost its luster, leaving her seeming fairly unimpressive.

What, hold on! You're saying that Rainbooms are standard in the Wonderbolts? I don't recall ever hearing that!

What, hold on! You're saying that Rainbooms are standard in the Wonderbolts? I don't recall ever hearing that!

Me neither. I thought it was a fanmade thing. But like I said, the Sonic Rainboom is special is because it binded the Mane Six together. And if that rainboom didn't happen... well, I don't need to repeat it! So just because every Wonderbolt has a Rainboom, it won't make it as special as Rainbow's! ;)

or she could work with the trick coordinators to design a partner move with someone, something that she wouldn't be able to pull off alone. 

I could realistically see this happening as part of Lightning Dust's redemption down the road, but I personally would love to see it happen with RD and Soarin. 

Huh, coming from someone who loves nighttime, I didn't really know about a moonbow!  Of course, it does make sense in a physics standpoint.

'Course, I'm getting off topic.  Yeah, I can see why you're saying a rainboom ain't so special like it was earlier in the entire series.  I agree with Glacies Frost on how it's pretty similar to the Super Saiyan transformation in Dragon Ball Z.

The only one that was really deemed special was the one Rainbow Dash made back when she was a filly. It was a very rare occurrence that was deemed to be nothing but legend, yet now it appears that Rainbooms can be performed by just about any Pegasus provided they were properly trained. While Rainbow can take solace knowing she created the first Rainboom--or the first one in an undisclosed amount of time--it doesn't hold that much traction anymore if it can be done so easily now.

Its most probably pure BS from expanded materials people not knowing/caring about the source material, but that's how its portrayed in the wonderbolts handbook. Its also not so much "legendary" as "Was made by a Wonderbolt in the past named Easyglider who is historically known and verified"

large.jpeg

why not, they did it with Lightning Dust. It could push Rd to improve and develop the same or a better version of the "trick"

And Lightning Dust is often seen as a bad role model and weaker version of Rainbow Dash with a different color scheme, more attitude, and less likeability. Had the writers given her any redeeming qualities, I'd be more apt to agree that it could be done, but shoehorning in a character without any buildup, and suddenly having them be better at everything than the character the episode is about, without any look into their personality, backstory, or otherwise, always tends to shoot the story in the foot. 

I can only speak from personal experience, and while Lightning Dust was a useful tool for having Rainbow Dash stand up for what was right against her superiors in the Wonderbolt Academy, she was neither a likeable character nor did she do anything that was particularly amazing, aside from landing on a max power Dizzitron.

Had she ended up being able to perform a trick on par with the Rainboom, it may have stood out visually, I'll give you that, but it would have been much less impressive than seeing someone work hard toward it and push him/herself past their limits in order to do it.

This can be done in a one shot episode, much like they did when they introduced Cheese Sandwich, but the episode absolutely has to focus on both Rainbow Dash and this other pony in equal measure. We must want to see this pony get pushed hard, surpass their previous limitations, and do something far beyond what even they or Rainbow Dash thought possible. This could be done in a couple of ways. 

I'll even give an example of an easy episode it can be done with. Rainbow could be put in charge of training a lackluster member of the Wonderbolt Reserves, perhaps someone we've met before, perhaps someone new. She could push them, train them, and see them slowly becoming better. As a final test or just for a bit of fun (or both, knowing Dashie) she could have them race her. The race is neck and neck, neither pony giving any headway to the other, when Rainbow does a Rainboom and takes her speed up to eleven. In desperation, out of sheer willpower, the other pony does their own "version" and breaks through, either barely losing to, tying with, or winning over Dashie.

That would be an episode I'd watch where a new trick is discovered.

RD needs to upgrade her Sonic Rainboom to another level: DOUBLE RAINBOOM, which can tear Time and Space, to create alternative universe where she can meet every Lauren Faust creations like Powerpuff Girls... ah, wait, i stole that idea from Double Rainboom.  :rarity: