Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 8 STRONGLY Hinted At

EquestriaGuy

I actually hope this isn't indicated a possible 8th season of FIM.

I would much rather have this be referring to some kind of new toyline or other form of media, that isn't just dragging FIM forever and ever.

I am afraid that if the show doesn't conclude with the movie coming up later this year, it isn't going to get a satisfying conclusion, and will end up being a cash cow that goes on forever and ever, even when people are just begging for it to end, like The Simpsons, or Spongebob.

• Brohoof 7

I would much rather have this be referring to some kind of new toyline or other form of media, that isn't just dragging FIM forever and ever.

I am afraid that if the show doesn't conclude with the movie coming up later this year, it isn't going to get a satisfying conclusion, and will end up being a cash cow that goes on forever and ever, even when people are just begging for it to end, like The Simpsons, or Spongebob.

While you might be right we can't know that for sure until the season happens, regardless businesswise it makes no freaking sense to end a show with a major movie in theaters release as that's a huge oppertunity for said show to reach a whole new audience, so it's not at all surprising. 

• Brohoof 5

I was kinda hoping MLP would end with season 7 and the movie, but if it really has been renewed for season 8, then I'm not surprised at all. Don't get me wrong. I still find the show watchable and I'll probably watch season 8 if it really is happening, but I didn't like season 6 as much as previous seasons, which leads me to think the show is slowly starting to hit seasonal rot. I'm not saying it won't bounce back in season 7. I actually hope it does. Again, I'm not saying the newer episodes are bad, but I don't want it to go on for too long either.

Edited by PinkiePie97

"Innovation in Play"? I wonder what they mean by that. To my memory the last time toy companies said things along that lines was back when 'multimedia' was new. VCDs being packaged with toy sets, toys with codes printed on them to be typed into rather primitive computer games, that kind of thing.

I've been waiting for when Hasbro tried to get more integration with their games division; having blind bags come with stat sheets so they can be used as game tokens for a tilebuilding game (sold separately)... that kind of thing.

• Brohoof 1

I can see where you are coming from, and there are plenty of fans who worry about 'rot', but I guarantee Hasbro is hoping for financial success of the film will lead to additional theatrical outings, and validation of the current television iteration as a marketing rool. If Generation 4 is making them a nice profit, they would be hesitant to shake that up too much, and so would the investors and their Board.

If the film underperforms as a marketing tool for the product, then they will pull the trigger on G5 and change it up.

I actually think the shown should start wrapping up and focus on films and specials only while they work on a G5 reboot. Hasbro just tends to be as risk adverse as other companies when it comes to IP management. Their only change in status quo was trying to broaden the demographic share of a few of their brands.

• Brohoof 8

Fear of seasonal rot simply isn't a fear I have with this show in particular. The writers know what they are doing, any new people could also come up with new ideas. Sure, there is always the possibility of some bad ideas and some mediocre episodes, but we are 6 seasons in and the show is still holding its quality. I say bring it on! After all the speculation of the show ending with the movie (which I was convinced of), this is pretty exciting. :3

• Brohoof 7

attachicon.gif1487341183751.jpg

A clip of the movie was just shown at the NY Toy Fair, and then McCarthy dropped this bomb after. 

While I can agree that is seems to hint at season 8, there are indicators for something else as well. It seems to me that some sort of interactive media is in the pipeline for the future; depending on how well the movie does, possibly.

• Brohoof 4

This news is nothing surprising, i expected this from a long time. I guess a lot of people will jump the ship after the movie  :orly:, too many negative comments in EQD. I understand their concerns but i dont have ability to stop Hasbro so i just keep going along  :orly: Too many vetaran writers leave the show, how could they make more episodes anyway ?  :sunbutt: , nah, doesnt matter, dont like it, dont watch, still like it, JUST WATCH! Good Episodes, I praise them. Bad episodes, i screw them. I WANT MORE PONIES  :angry:

• Brohoof 1

Since season 8 would have to be in the works before the movie even comes out I was pretty certain it would happen. Hasbro would not want to be in a situation where toy sales and interest soars due to the film and have nothing else pony to capitalize it.

I can see where you are coming from, and there are plenty of fans who worry about 'rot', but I guarantee Hasbro is hoping for financial success of the film will lead to additional theatrical outings, and validation of the current television iteration as a marketing rool. If Generation 4 is making them a nice profit, they would be hesitant to shake that up too much, and so would the investors and their Board.

If the film underperforms as a marketing tool for the product, then they will pull the trigger on G5 and change it up.

I actually think the shown should start wrapping up and focus on films and specials only while they work on a G5 reboot. Hasbro just tends to be as risk adverse as other companies when it comes to IP management. Their only change in status quo was trying to broaden the demographic share of a few of their brands.

Studios don't end franchises to restart them. After previous one fails they wait a while and maybe find something to restart it years later. People should not be glamorous for G4 to end, it is not a automatic "G5 is around the corner" result.

• Brohoof 2

im pretty sure around season 3 ish 4 ish that they hinted the series would end at season 10

This news is nothing surprising, i expected this from a long time. I guess a lot of people will jump the ship after the movie :orly:, too many negative comments in EQD. I understand their concerns but i dont have ability to stop Hasbro so i just keep going along :orly: Too many vetaran writers leave the show, how could they make more episodes anyway ? :sunbutt: , nah, doesnt matter, dont like it, dont watch, still like it, JUST WATCH! Good Episodes, I praise them. Bad episodes, i screw them. I WANT MORE PONIES :angry:

I think people will get used to charcater designs after while, at least enough that people go to the film open minded. There is always drama in the fandom about new things anyway, I don't know what the fandom would be without some doomsday reactions. But I feel the most vocal ones are just a small minority. But Hasbro needs to release the trailer soon, I want the film to be a box office success and they need to have strong marketing for it. I want more ponies too!

I think people will get used to charcater designs after while, at least enough that people go to the film open minded. There is always drama in the fandom about new things anyway, I don't know what the fandom would be without some doomsday reactions. But I feel the most vocal ones are just a small minority. But Hasbro needs to release the trailer soon, I want the film to be a box office success and they need to have strong marketing for it. I want more ponies too!

Drama keep fandom awake ;). Read their negative comments make me stronger everytime.

If the movie is bad, i will screw this movie harder than Legend of Everfree ;/. What bother me is whether this movie is a continuation of S7 or just S5 prequel, if it is S7 sequel, i guess Starlight will depart at the end of S7, which make me sad ;/.

Studios don't end franchises to restart them. After previous one fails they wait a while and maybe find something to restart it years later. People should not be glamorous for G4 to end, it is not a automatic "G5 is around the corner" result.

Actually Hasbro, at least with regards to the MLP toy line, does tend to start up the next gen immediately after the ending of the prior. The Friendship is Magic cartoon series was broadcast less than a year from when the G3.5 Newborn Cuties webcasts were done. And given it takes at least a year to spin up a new cartoon series let alone toy production based on that series; Hasbro was setting up for G4 a fair time before G3 ended. Of course G3 went through several retoolings, with the main ones being Core 7, G3.5, and Newborn Cuties. Their previous gens went through similar stuff. 

So in my mind, G5 isn't likely around the corner at all. We're more likely to get a G4.5-type thing where FiM is replaced with something similar but with a different focus in an attempt to generate more market interest in the toy lines.

• Brohoof 4

Drama keep fandom awake ;). Read their negative comments make me stronger everytime.

If the movie is bad, i will screw this movie harder than Legend of Everfree ;/. What bother me is whether this movie is a continuation of S7 or just S5 prequel, if it is S7 sequel, i guess Starlight will depart at the end of S7, which make me sad ;/.

Starlight not being in the film does not mean she is not around. Discord is not in the film and I am not expecting anything to happen to him, and neither do probably plenty of other have more than a cameo maybe.

I think the film doesn't have much hints when it takes place but it probably should be after season 7 in the timeline since season 7 should not be over when the film comes out.

• Brohoof 2

My pessimistic side right now: “Did you honestly hope that MLP FiM would end with a grand finale and Hasbro wouldn’t drag it for as long as the toys sell? They will suck every single drop of it, and then end it carelessly and abruptly.

My optimistic side: “One more season of this amazing cartoon! More possibilities! More characters! More world building! More references! And maybe eventually the second movie! Yay!

My voice of reason: “And now we wait.
  • Brohoof 6