Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP- Will we ever see norns, Sylph, and spirit cats?

ManaMinori

There have been bits of other mythos in FiM, sure, but not all as heavy as Greek. What are the odds we'll see things like Norns, Valkyries, sylph, kirin, Hippalectryon, Cat Sidhe, Nekomata's, or Bakeneko's (now that Capper and his cat race exists) in the series?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

Well, Tartarus and the Chimera do appear in FiM. And of course the name and idea of the pegasus came from Greek mythology as well.

still, they could do more. Tartarus was way back in Twilight's unicorn days, and Chimera was what, season 4? And both are still Greek Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

I'd think it would be a little silly to include the lesser known mythologies such as the the Japanese one but otherwise it might work. 

Edit: But they should limit it to small references, of course.  

Edited by Yamet

I'd think it would be a little silly to include the lesser known mythologies such as the the Japanese one but otherwise it might work.

they did it with the Bunyip, which is a lesser known Australian mythological creature
  • Brohoof 1

I just remembered, Ahuizotl comes from Aztec mythology which is significantly lesser known.
  • Brohoof 2

There's the bugbear, which doesn't come from Greek mythology but from Middle Ages folklore. Gargoyles (what Scorpan is) are French folklore. The tantabus is based on the Japanese supernatural being called the Baku, which are spiritual dream eaters. And the tatzlwurm, at least in name, comes from Alpine folklore.

I just remembered, Ahuizotl comes from Aztec mythology which is significantly lesser known.

The cipactli from Stranger than Fanfiction is also Aztec.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 1

Source: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_allusions/Season_three

From the episode Games Ponies Play:

• The winged shoes the messenger wears are an allusion to the ancient Greek god Hermes, who wore winged sandals which enabled him to fly. Hermes, having the ability of flight, played the role of messenger for the Olympian Gods, and was likewise a patron of sports. The winged shoes also allude to the myth of Perseus, a hero who borrowed Hermes' sandals during his ventures.

Lamias are also creatures out of greek mythology and i am pushing them for years now to appears on the show now, especially Lamiaponies. :P

I love greek mythology and i would love to see more greek mythology references.

• Brohoof 1

There's the bugbear, which doesn't come from Greek mythology but from Middle Ages folklore. Gargoyles (what Scorpan is) are French folklore. The tantabus is based on the Japanese supernatural being called the Baku, which are spiritual dream eaters. And the tatzlwurm, at least in name, comes from Alpine folklore.

The cipactli from Stranger than Fanfiction is also Aztec.

I never said they didn't have things from other mythos. I said MLP is more heavy on the Greek.

There was Egyptian mythology in the comics with a civilization based around the idea of order to Discord's chaos.

yes, I am aware of Bast and Anubis in that comic. However, in the OP, I made i made it clear that Greek was the more favorable and abundant.

The question still remains- will we ever see sylphs, Bakeneko, Norns, Valkyrie, and such in the cartoon series?

I said MLP is more heavy on the Greek.

Probably because the Greeks' mythology has been around for almost the longest, has a lot of stuff to offer, and is more familiar to the western world. The writers would probably just naturally go with using creatures that both they and the audience would more likely be familiar in stories, and then maybe branch out.

There have been bits of other mythos in FiM, sure, but not all as heavy as Greek. What are the odds we'll see things like Norns, Valkyries, sylph, kirin, Hippalectryon, Cat Sidhe, Nekomata's, or Bakeneko's (now that Capper and his cat race exists) in the series?

Well, that element of mythical creatures has been downplayed as the show progressed :huh:. I wouldn't mind way more of them this season

I would love to see some more mythical/mythological appear in the show.

Especially Kirins which I have been wanting to see for a while now.

hope the movie opens more possibilities to leave Equestria, to meet Kirin's and introduce culture from Neighppon (Japony)