Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The cons of giving FiM more seasons

ManaMinori

Now that a season 8 has been confirmed, I have to wonder, is it really a good thing? Yes, there's the fact that fresh writers mean new ideas for new seasons, but if the series continues as a show aimed at young girls, then there's going to be the inevitable disconnect with them at the characters as the stories progress. How many will show interest in following the series if it gives too many throwbacks to past seasons' events or characters? How many new kids will follow the new seasons, not knowing who SG is and why she's with the mane 6?

Few, if any, will go start at season 1 to understand what's happening and who newer characters are.

Are additional seasons going to backfire with the target demographic and their interest?

What other cons come with too many seasons of this once great TV series?

I see where you're coming from. I mean, I was 10 when the show first aired, and I'll be a grown-ass man by the time season 7 is done. It's changed a lot, even if I haven't always been around to see them take place.

To answer your questions, I don't know. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I also share these concerns. IT's rare that a show that goes this long will STAY good. Not just changed, but actually good :huh:. I'm all for a spin-off with some new characters as the main ones, with some of the old ones alongside them optional 

This is one of the things I am concerned about with any show. I would rather have a show end on a high note then slowly watch it circle the drain while it goes down in quality. (IE. Simpsons.). Personally in my opinion a good run for a show woul be about 7-9 seasons.

Lets just hope the writers can still bring quality stories to the table.

I can agree. When it is time to say goodbye, I want it done right. I had said that having a movie end the series would be a wonderful conclusion but after hearing more about it, I wouldn't want it to be the last that this generation has to offer.

Well even if FIM has plotlines and character development that make it a different show than something like Spongebob or the Simpsons, the show and these character arcs weren't designed to last this long in the first place.

You may say that the writers could always create new arcs for the characters to go on, but at this point in the game, it might feel a bit forced to do so.

Especially seeing how these show never really had a full beginning, middle, and end in mind that would allow for the writers to have a much easier time envisioning and planning out character arcs accordingly.

And than there is the whole problem with how these show lately just can not hold on to the same writers for a decent amount of time, that in turn doesn't allow the show to keep a consistent vision to work towards, that can be refined.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

If you view the plotline as stale and old then sure, but why are you viewing it that way? New storylines are opening up. Ill leave it at that.

episode count also is an important factor. Would newcomers really investing a series with over 150 episodes? And as time progresses, the episodes themselves get less episodic, and newcomers will questions WTF is going on, and why.

episode count also is an important factor. Would newcomers really investing a series with over 150 episodes? And as time progresses, the episodes themselves get less episodic, and newcomers will questions WTF is going on, and why.

That's why the episodes rarely refer to previous events, and when they do, we get 5 minutes of exposition spread among the characters as to what happened in the past.

If FiM hits the 10 season mark, that's when I'll question whether or not it has too many seasons. Season 4,5, and 6 have been the strongest seasons to date imho. I am loving some of these new writers. Josh Haber is like the new M.A. Larson. Vogel has some really strong showings as well :o

I'm new to the Dragon Ball franchise and there are several hundred episodes! 

I don't see what the problem is. I think it's foolish to say

"No, don't make more episodes, because I'm afraid the quality might drop."

Why not just watch the episodes to see? If the quality drops, then stop watching.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not worried. This is a show about ponies. It ended up being so amazing that it ended up having a huge unexpected and bizarre fandom. If a show with ponies can pull that off, I'm sure it can last a very long time.

When I was little I didn't care about why characters were there. I don;t really think the young kids that watch it will either. And I think the only con of more seasons is waiting inbetween seasons and the hiatuses.

The Movie is not here to close the shop but to expand it. Well, whatever plans H-Bro has for G4, they better do some serious review on show staff and strategy cause this performance ain't gonna fly for much longer.

All troubles can be solved with a soft restart.

The show doesn't callback to itself too much, and it's usually explained decently well. I feel like in most cases a new viewer could still easily jump into more recent episodes and understand what's happening without too much of a problem. As for kids...Well, some of them might be too young to really understand or care much anyway, and I feel like the ones old enough to get it won't have too tough a time figuring stuff out, the show is still mostly episodic after all.

Kids who for example don't know who Starlight is, are either young or just new to the series enough that she just might seem like another main character to them, no different from the others. If they started watching after her introduction, then she might as well have always been there, and for old fans who stopped following the show before she came in, a lot of them are probably old enough to google things.

I'm also not worried about the show declining in quality anytime soon, as the three most recent seasons are the best to me, I think this show's still got a good amount of mileage to go before it possibly starts running out of steam. I could see this show still making a good ninth season, or even a tenth, maybe beyond.

I feel like a lot of people are just overly worried about this show "Getting too long", when there's nothing necessarily wrong with a long show. Decline in quality isn't a guarantee and even then is rather subjective.

• Brohoof 1

Well i suppose MLP has one leg up on other shows for being slife of life instead of soly comedy. As we saw from such shows liek Fairy odd paents wher they basically tried ot 'freshen' up the show by adding new character only for it to explode in thier faces.

now of course they are focusing more on Starlight and Trixie and  such due to the mane six arcs nearly a levling point. Sure they can still grow but not to an major level.  Rainbow, Rarity and Twlight had all gotten to thier 'goals' as such. Sure Twlight still has a LOT to learn about being a teacher but that a thing.

The show itslef will, at it core, be slife of life. huge arcs like in season 4(which was kind of a let down casue rainbow power bleh) only happne every so oftne but still feel seperate until the end.  

The fandom can change too however as kids grow up and get to other things they like. Ther target demographic ages up and the show left inthe dust. 

hense the movie that is coming out is design to in theroy pull in a fresh new flow of fans that fit thier age group. 

Now that a season 8 has been confirmed, I have to wonder, is it really a good thing? Yes, there's the fact that fresh writers mean new ideas for new seasons, but if the series continues as a show aimed at young girls, then there's going to be the inevitable disconnect with them at the characters as the stories progress. How many will show interest in following the series if it gives too many throwbacks to past seasons' events or characters? How many new kids will follow the new seasons, not knowing who SG is and why she's with the mane 6?

Few, if any, will go start at season 1 to understand what's happening and who newer characters are.

Are additional seasons going to backfire with the target demographic and their interest?

What other cons come with too many seasons of this once great TV series?

"Once great TV show?" I still think this show is great. Seasons 4-5 are my favorite seasons, while season 6 was just okay. Seasons 1-3 have grown on me due to frequent rewatching. I will admit that I am dismayed that there is a season eight, but I'm still looking forward to it as long as the writers can come up with new ideas, although so far, the episodes for season seven seem like rehashes. This is a major con because rehashes of previous episodes mean that the writers are running out of ideas, a claim that people have been making since season five. Another con is more characters. By season five, there were over a hundred characters, and the writers just keep creating more. Literally, there are over one hundred background characters, not including all of the main characters and side characters. Still, I am looking forward to seasons seven and eight.

I'm new to the Dragon Ball franchise and there are several hundred episodes! 

I don't see what the problem is. I think it's foolish to say

"No, don't make more episodes, because I'm afraid the quality might drop."

Why not just watch the episodes to see? If the quality drops, then stop watching.

^ This so much.

yes but seasonal rot is a thing

It is also an opinion. What some see as stale and dull, others seem to enjoy. We have a lot of people in this very forum who trash S6 every chance they get and call it a filler season and the most awful & dull season we have had yet.. and right behind them is another large group who loved it and thought it was the best showing yet. Each very different opinions, and both are correct since they are based upon a deeply held opinion.

The difference between them, is the people who hated S6 are calling for it to end because they did not like it, thus taking it away from those who did enjoy it, when they could just, I dunno.. stop watching it? I get the fact people are fearful it could lose quality, but that is a pointless argument since there will always be fans who feel it is not. And even if it does lose quality... so what? Then it becomes awful and unwatchable.... if that day happens I just won't watch it, it is not like I am required to watch it from now until the end of time. It is really not that large of a struggle and I always fail to see why some make it so.

• Brohoof 3

^ This so much.

It is also an opinion. What some see as stale and dull, others seem to enjoy. We have a lot of people in this very forum who trash S6 every chance they get and call it a filler season and the most awful & dull season we have had yet.. and right behind them is another large group who loved it and thought it was the best showing yet. Each very different opinions, and both are correct since they are based upon a deeply held opinion.

The difference between them, is the people who hated S6 are calling for it to end because they did not like it, thus taking it away from those who did enjoy it, when they could just, I dunno.. stop watching it? I get the fact people are fearful it could lose quality, but that is a pointless argument since there will always be fans who feel it is not. And even if it does lose quality... so what? Then it becomes awful and unwatchable.... if that day happens I just won't watch it, it is not like I am required to watch it from now until the end of time. It is really not that large of a struggle and I always fail to see why some make it so.

now I agree there I thought season 6 was good but there episodes like bad seed that prove mlp can show signs of seasonal rot on occasion.

if they dont like don't kill the joy for others I do belive that everyone has a right to their opinion.

• Brohoof 2

I hope Season 8 will be the final because even if Hasbro would earn more money, older fans will dwindle and lose interest and move on to other things. Yes, the fanbase is still going strong, but as more veteran fans move on to newer and better things because their interest of the show has diminished, its only a matter of time before cracks start to show.

Edited by Jon the Bronynerd

I'm really hoping these seasons will fulfill some things I've been wanting to see, and answer our unanswered questions. We got answers for our AJ and Rainbow Dash parent questions coming this season, which is a start! But there's still more, and as long as these seasons answer those questions, I'd be content in having the show end. That's why I'm still watching it. Unanswered questions! What's going on with Babs Seed and the Manehattan CMCs, and who are the Manehattan CMCs, whatever happened to Lightning Dust, Spike's origins and destiny, and Scorpan!

Edited by MegaSean45

Biggest problem with season a show going on for so long is not only seasonal rot, but also running the risk of rehashing ideas, which we've already seen happening. The fact that they were willing to rehash MMDW without any improvements has me fearing for the worst

• Brohoof 3