Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP the Movie- 1986 vs 2017

ManaMinori

Surely, I can't be the only one thinking how My Little Pony the Movie of 2017 will hold up against the original g1 movie of MLP, from 1986.

The g1 movie had celebrity VA's that were as followed: Danny DeVito, Madeline Kahn, Cloris Leachman, Rhea Perlman, and Tony Randall. While the 2016's movie has guest VA's of Sia, Kristen Chenoweth, Liev Schreiber, Michael Peña, Zoe Saldana, Taye Diggs, Nicole Oliver, Uzo Aduba, and Emily Blunt.

The sypnosis for the 1886 movie was "the first day of spring is on its way and the Little Ponies are preparing for it with a big festival. But the all the fun may come to an end if the witch Hydia has her way! Can the ponies defeats Hydia and her evil daughters, Reeka and Draggle? More importantly, can they save Ponyland from the witches' concoction, the strange purple goo called Smooze, that's threatening to bury the whole town?"

While the 2017 movie sypnosis is the following: "In order to stop a threat to the town of Ponyville, the "Mane Six" – Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity – must leave their home kingdom of Equestria, meeting new friends and overcoming challenges in the process."

The original g1 movie featured a new species to MLP lore, a fairy-like pony race called Flutterponies who had the power needed to defeat the villain single hoovedly. While the g4 2017 movie introduces a recycled race of g1 "seaponies" who look more like mermares from the MLP book "Under the Sparkling Sea".

There are many differences with these movies, but how the 2017 movie will perform compared to the 1986 movie (which failed at the box office), only time will tell.

Would fans of g4 have liked to have some of the actors who voiced characters in the G1 movie coming back to lend their voices to the g4 movie? Will there be mention of g1 characters other than the seaponies, like Lickety Split or Wind Whistler?

• Brohoof 2

I haven't seen most of the original MLP movie, but from what I have seen.... it really just feels like a glorified TV episode, with the Smooze and their song being the only thing I found worth remembering

I don't know how well the FiM movie will fare against other movies, but I'm already expecting it to blow the original MLP movie out of the water

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

The two have literally nothing to do with each other. It's a waste of time (and web traffic) to compare them.

not true. They're both pony movies,they both have celebrity voice actors, the fans can easily compare g1 movie to how they think g4's might be similar, or different. Even how the first movie aged to how they think the 2017 movie will age.

Wouldn't it be better to have this discussion after it's been out for a couple weeks?

I have no idea if it will be just as much fun as the original or not.

see above post. Even if the movie hasn't come out yet, there's still plenty to speculate and compare to g1's movie. The characters and sypnosis and VA's have been announced, so it's not like there's nothing to go off of to compare. Edited by Nightmare Muffin

The original MLP movie was also universally critcized as being nothing more than a cash grab for Hasbro given that the overall premise revolved around a toy line. Granted, the one slated for this year can be considered in the same fashion, but I think Hasbro has learned much since those days--barring rare questionable decisions--so the 2017 should prove successful if everything works out.

The original MLP movie was also universally critcized as being nothing more than a cash grab for Hasbro given that the overall premise revolved around a toy line. Granted, the one slated for this year can be considered in the same fashion, but I think Hasbro has learned much since those days--barring rare questionable decisions--so the 2017 should prove successful if everything works out.

honestly, dear Gans- I have to laugh at that line of thinking- for anyone who DID think such a thing. Not to say that they're wrong, but oh my gawd, Hasbro IS a toy company. Everything they do is a cash grab to promote their toylines. No doubt it will be the same with the movie, to promote all the toys seen at Toyfair. Just like the show promotes the ponies and their accessories and boutiques and castles and armor, and whatever else in the toyline. 

• Brohoof 1

honestly, dear Gans- I have to laugh at that line of thinking- for anyone who DID think such a thing. Not to say that they're wrong, but oh my gawd, Hasbro IS a toy company. Everything they do is a cash grab to promote their toylines. No doubt it will be the same with the movie, to promote all the toys seen at Toyfair. Just like the show promotes the ponies and their accessories and boutiques and castles and armor, and whatever else in the toyline. 

Don't you just love how corporations operate?

You can make a movie with the intent of selling toys and still be good/memorable, I mean, FiM wouldn't be so popular if that wasn't the case. But the original MLP movie, oh lawdy it's boring. It's an extended TV episode, diet Disney, no impressive animation, no fantastic songs(the first two songs are pretty fucking awful actually). Literally the only thing I ever see people talking fondly of is the Smooze and their song....that's pretty much it

The 2017 isn't gonna need to do much to surpass it.

• 3 months later...

The 1986 movie is boring as sin with the smooze being the only highlight. It's not gonna take much for them to do better 

It's absurd to even attempt to compare the original movie with this:

1-first, the original MLP show was, while better than expected (no non-existent plots from G3) they where still average fantasy animated shows

2-No wide access to the internet back then, and shit today spreads like a virus

3-The original movie was a product of it's time

4-This trailer don't hold punches that this ain't some ponies going to tea parties crap, so that'll turn heads to it 

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Can we determine anything now that the 2017 trailer it out, now?

apple-orange.jpg

Joking aside, you can only compare this new trailer with the original movies trailer. When the film comes out, an actual compare/contrast analysis would be fair. Comparing new and old is a time honored tradition on the internet. It just wouldn't be accurate to do so with limited information on one side of the comparison when you have a complete picture of the other side. 

If the discussion you are hoping to have wasn't focused on a comparison, inviting speculation would be legitimate, but not in this instance. 

They're two different things (kind of), but I still think that the 2017 film will be "better" in terms of quality, plus the active brony fandom.

Why compare the two? Both movies are a product of their respective eras and while the 86' movie may of been "acceptable" during that time, it definitely hasn't age well to draw a comparison. Proof is in how G4 holds differently towards all the previous gens with better writing and characters so that might translate well into the 2017 Movie.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:53 PM, Star Mist said:

Why compare the two? Both movies are a product of their respective eras and while the 86' movie may of been "acceptable" during that time, it definitely hasn't age well to draw a comparison. Proof is in how G4 holds differently towards all the previous gens with better writing and characters so that might translate well into the 2017 Movie.

that and the 2017 one wasn't animated in the span of 10 weeks

• 2 years later...
On 2/19/2017 at 5:53 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

There are many differences with these movies, but how the 2017 movie will perform compared to the 1986 movie (which failed at the box office), only time will tell.

Would fans of g4 have liked to have some of the actors who voiced characters in the G1 movie coming back to lend their voices to the g4 movie? Will there be mention of g1 characters other than the seaponies, like Lickety Split or Wind Whistler?

I am a G1er, but I still haven't seen the original movie from that time. It wasn't really targeted to me as an audience.

The new Movie did too much celebrity stuff, rather than focus on what made G4 so good. I think it did try to beat the old movie with the same ammunition, and it did it, pretty much. But it could have done it better.