Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronies and the era of G4.5

ManaMinori

So it's apparent that G4 is a thing of the past, and because of the MLP movie, the G4.5 era has been rolled out, pretty sneakily, I might add.

post-23572-0-70179100-1487695622.jpgpost-23572-0-92621900-1487695650_thumb.jpg

As you guys can see, the new toys mimic the new style of the movie- larger eyes, longer necks, more rounded heads, more slender/longer appendeges (legs, horns, wings). And since generations have always been determined by the style change of the toyline, and the show later following suit to match, we clearly are in G4.5.

How does the fandom of g4 feel about this change? Will we see the style change in season 7 and 8, since it's in the movie and toyline? Many seem to absolutely HATE the new g4.5 toys- will the hate also be directed at the movie, because of the same style? Will Bronies leave the fandom because this g4.5 influences the art style of the future seasons in a soft (or hard) reboot.

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 2

I'm a little nervous about everything, mainly because Lauren Faust was the one who made MLP great, and now starting something new without her... I don't want to sound unpleasant or critical, so I'll do my best to remain optimistic about everything, but I'm still a little nervous.

Worried, I'm a pretty new brony, so it would kinda suck if it started going downhill here. On that note, I can't say I hate anything Hasbro has done since 2010, so I'm still hopeful. As much as this is a chance to do big damage, It's also a chance to bring a new life to the brony fandom.

If it goes downhill, they might panic and try to reinvite someone like Faust again. If they didn't already hire someone like that for the new art design or such, but if it goes downhill and they already tried a new strat like a new faust, then they might just give up and try repeating G4 after 4.5. Idk tho. I had another argument but forgot it.

If they abandon the Mane 6, I might just not watch it. If they make a series based on Celestia and Luna, Starswirl, or Daring Do, then I will watch it. But if they come up with a completely new cast, I likely won't. It would be a terrible business choice if Hasbro decides to abandon their beloved characters that made the show so popular.

No Fluttershy in it as a main character? Then I probably wouldn't watch (or at least get as invested in it). :P

I don't believe that it is going to go downhill anytime soon. This is because:

• Season 6 being "bad" doesn't indicate that the next seasons will be bad. Just look at Season 3; Season 4 came after and it was the best season yet.  :yay:
  • The episode "Twilight's Kingdom" proves that the show can delve into a darker and more epic themes and do it well. 
  • The Cutie Map proves that there are so many undiscovered places in Equestria to explore. 
  • The 2017 Movie will likely be the reviving catalyst for the show, both drawing in new fans and opening up new storytelling and themes to explore.

If they do make a new show, I hope they keep the same drawing style as before. I'll try to be as open as possible, but G4 is hard to beat.

My only request to the writers is to leave out all shipping from the show. At all costs... especially with Fluttershy. Absolutely NO Fluttercord, Flutterdash, Twidash, etc. (With the exception of Rarity, as she is fit for the type and already established as a romantic.) If this ever happens with Fluttershy, that will be the point I stop watching.  :huh:  I just hope it doesn't come to that.

Edited by ElementalFluttershee
  • Brohoof 1

They're okay, but as for the fashion style I wished they could use the older model from them. Otherwise my collection would be off.

cute reboot toy lines. still gotta see if this affect the tv show or movie itself (not counting artworks)

i dont think they will change the desings from the show but maybe the movieones yes. and maybe they create a new spin-off or something.

i'll just wait!

It is not like they are doing anything drastic... they are just doing subtle changes to the overall art style. If anything to me that says they are not content to let their look stagnate and are trying to keep it somewhat fresh. For me personally none of this screams G4.5 or the like.. just G4 with some extra make up on is all.

• Brohoof 3

If it goes downhill, they might panic and try to reinvite someone like Faust again.

Which might actually be a good thing! Choosing Faust was an excellent move and I hope Hasbro manages to find another artist with lots of experience in the animation industry to put in charge of Gen 5 (HOW ABOUT REBECCA SUGAR)

Which might actually be a good thing! Choosing Faust was an excellent move and I hope Hasbro manages to find another artist with lots of experience in the animation industry to put in charge of Gen 5 (HOW ABOUT REBECCA SUGAR)

Tbh I would prefer the people behind Star Vs the Forces of Evil, because while SU is good its a bit too slow paced for me. My brain can handle higher inputs of information than that, so episodes tend to be on the slow side for me. Some are not tho, but alot are. 

Anyways RS is too busy with SU so that wouldn't happen same with Star Vs.

• Brohoof 1

I still see this change as part of generation four and also Hasbro finally wanting to make the toys resemble the characters more as opposed to what they've always done in the past. It will take some time to get used to it since they've been using the same style now for the last six years so hopefully this is a sign of good things to come.

Rebecca Sugar needs to stay exactly where she is. D:

If it's still the same tone, set in the same universe, and following the same characters, I don't think it will be an interative generation. If the only thing that changes is the art style, I'll still refer to it as G4. Of course if the majority of the fandom and staff refer to it as such, then I'd change how I would communicate it to ensure clarity.

How does the fandom of g4 feel about this change? Will we see the style change in season 7 and 8, since it's in the movie and toyline? Many seem to absolutely HATE the new g4.5 toys- will the hate also be directed at the movie, because of the same style? Will Bronies leave the fandom because this g4.5 influences the art style of the future seasons in a soft (or hard) reboot.

Different strokes for different folks, to be sure.  But to me, the appeal of MLP is in the worldbuilding, the characters, and I suppose the writing, too.  A change in drawing style won't necessarily affect any of those negatively, so it doesn't bother me much.

• 1 month later...

I think it may take a bit for me to get used to the new style...but things come and go.

things may come and things may go, some go fast and some go slow- few things last, but all I know- g4 is in the history pages.

I don't know if this comment belongs here, but I think it would be interesting for the show to go in a "Portals" direction. No, not Portal like the video game, but "Portals," as in portals to alternate dimensions. For example, When Twilight kept seeing alternate universes due to Starlight Glimmer's interventions, did those alternate timelines cease to exist when Twilight and Starlight finally "fixed" the timeline by their non-intervention? Or are those alternate timelines still out there? I don't think a brainiac like Twilight would quickly forget about those places, especially if she knows that her "friends" in those alternate universes are still in disharmony, peril, etc.

We've already seen a portal to another dimension established in the Equestria Girls Universe. And I saw an interview once where one of the show's creative directors joked about making a "My Little Pony Fish" episode. Would it really be that much of a stretch for the show to go in that direction? With the defeat of Queen Chrysalis, we've seen nearly every enemy either defeated or turned into a friend. Though the show could introduce a new enemy, I see a potential problem in "Friending" too much. Nearly all of the major villains have been dealt with. Even Diamond Tiara has become friendly to the CMCs!

It seems that the show is teetering on the brink of either going into a "villain of the season" type of series, or it could go in a completely new direction. The show began with a very good premise: The main character learns lessons about friendship and writes a summary of her lesson in a letter to Princess Celestia. Then, the rest of the main cast joined in doing that. But, then Twilight became a princess, which threw that whole idea out the window. From then on, I've seen the show progress down a road, taking twists and turns as it tries to figure out how to reach the end. We've seen one story after another reach its conclusion.

Discord becomes "reformed." (Which is another complete can of worms. Discord is acting as a teacher to Twilight, and he is teaching her new lessons in his expert way. I could debate that his whole thing with working with Tirek was planned from the start. If Discord had arrested Tirek right away, then Tirek wouldn't have betrayed him, Twilight wouldn't have had the opportunity to do her special choice that coincided with her element, and she probably wouldn't have gotten her key. I think Discord knew all this, and that's why he chose to go down that path. He didn't choose to team up with Tirek because he hadn't learned enough friendship lessons. Discord teamed up with Tirek because Discord knew he had to in order for Twilight to get her key and castle. Maybe he knew that Tirek would betray him, but didn't know how, or how badly, but I think that Discord knew exactly what he was doing when he chose to temporarily team up with Tirek.)

The CMCs obtain their cutie marks. This is probably the most interesting plot development, not only because they have been waiting for so long, but also because I think these cutie marks are temporary. If you look closely at each of the CMCs cutie marks, you'll notice a small other mark in the middle of the shield. I think that eventually, the CMCs will realize their individual talents, and the shield portion of their cutie marks will fade away. I could be dead wrong about this, but I think this is a possibility.

Diamond Tiara does a 180 and becomes the pony she wants to be. The class bully is now the best pony in the school. At least, she's starting to get onto the right path. She'll probably need some help along the way, but I think that she won't completely revert to her evil ways.

The changelings become good and acquire a new leader. This is probably the only unfinished story in the whole MLP series. Queen Chrysalis has vowed revenge and run away, just like Starlight Glimmer did. If prior seasons are any indication, we will probably see her in the season 7 opening two-part episodes, or the season 7 concluding two-part episodes. The only question is whether Chrysalis will be destroyed, sent to Tartarus, or "Friended." Someone made a YouTube video theorizing that Chrysalis was the wife of King Sombra. It would be very interesting to me if this was the case, and that we could see them re-united somehow. Perhaps that could be a lead-in to the "Portals" idea I mentioned earlier. One of the alternate worlds had King Sombra return as the evil dictator he was. Maybe Chrysalis will find a way to go to that alternate universe and bring him to the main universe as her plan of revenge. This would show the mane seven that the alternate universes exist, and that they need to be ready to defend against them and ally with them. Or, Queen Chrysalis might be able to find whatever is left of King Sombra in the main universe and put him back together again somehow? I don't know.

All these things seem to point in the general direction of either a series finale or a series redesign. I won't say reboot because I don't see the series headed that way, but I do see it either finishing or changing course in a whole new direction.

We've had the same few molds for years. Just because there are finally new ones, doesn't mean it's no longer G4. G1 had several different sylistic choices, and I don't see anyone calling Sweetheart Sister ponies G1.5. A few stylistic choices does not a new generation make...The changes are nothing compared to the jump between G4 and G3.5. It's a little silly to declare this a whole new, totally different thing.

Edited by Powderpuff
lack of phone typing skills