Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Who was the best animated disney villain? (Poll Included)

Mesme Rize

Best Disney Villain  

53 users have voted

1. 1. Who was the best Disney animated movie Villain

• The Evil Queen (Snow White and the seven Dwarfs)
    • Stromboli (Pinocchio)
    • Honest John (Pinocchio)
    • Chernabog (Fantasia)
    • Man (Bambi)
    • The Headless Horseman (The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr.Toad)
    • Lady Tremaine AKA the evil stepmother (Cinderella)
    • The Queen of Hearts (Alice in Wonderland)
    • Captain Hook (Peter Pan)
    • Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty)
    • Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmatians)
    • Madam Mim (The Sword in the Stone)
    • Shere Khan (The Jungle Book)
    • Kaa (The Jungle Book)
    • Edgar (The Aristocats)
    • Prince John (Robin Hood)
    • The Sheriff of Nottingham (Robin Hood)
    • Madame Medusa (The Rescuers)
    • Amos Slade (The Fox and the Hound)
    • The Horned King (The Black Cauldron)
    • Ratigan (The great Mouse Detective)
    • Bill Sykes (Oliver and Company)
    • Ursula (The little Mermaid)
    • Percival C. Mcleach (The Rescuers Down Under)
    • Gaston (Beauty and the Beast)
    • Jafar (Aladdin)
    • Scar (The Lion King)
    • Governor Ratcliffe (Pocahontas)
    • Judge Claude Frollo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
    • Hades (Hercules)
    • Shan Yu (Mulan)
    • Clayton (Tarzan)
    • Sabor (Tarzan)
    • Yzma (The Emperors New Groove)
    • Commander Lyle Terbius Rourke (Atlantis: The Lost Empire)
    • Captain Gantu (Lilo and Stitch)
    • John Silver (Treasure Planet)
    • Denahi (Brother Bear)
    • Alameda Slim (Home on the Range)
    • DOR-15 (Meet the Robinsons)
    • Bowler Hat Guy (Meet the Robinsons)
    • Doctor Facilier (Princess and the Frog)
    • Mother Gothel (Tangled)
    • Turbo/King Candy (Wreck-it Ralph)
    • Hans (Frozen)
    • Yokai (Big Hero 6)
    • Assistant Mayor Bellwether (Zootopia)
    • Te Ka (Moana)
    • Other

Over the last century, Disney has released animated movies with some of the most memorable Villians in history. Sometimes, the villains are the best part of those movies, because Disney delivers alot of times with their Villains, something which most other movie studios have failed at.

So who is your favorite, or what are some of your favorite Disney Villains out there?

I love villains like Scar, Hades, Frollo and Shere Khan. I think they are some of my favorites,

and yes, i have a soft spot for Kaa. :P

• Brohoof 5

Jafar. He had some mystical powers, was smart, charming, and overall a major badass.

Frolo was a despicable human being. But he hasn't made me impersonate him for over 20 years. 

• Brohoof 2

Gaston? I beg your pardon? Gaston was the best HERO of the Disney movies, bar none.

No one fools the audience like Gaston. :P

• Brohoof 5

Captain Hook, Prince John, The Sheriff of Nottingham, Turbo/King Candy, Hans, John Silver, Hades, and Assistant Mayor Bellewether.

Hook, Prince John, the Sheriff, King Candy, and Hans all made me laugh for different reasons, so yeah. :lol:

John Silver was actually kind of interesting, and it was nice to see him turn out to be a somewhat decent person/alien pirate.

Hades? He was pretty awesome for the most part, even if his minions were kind of stupid

And Assistant Mayor Bellewether was just really cute. :catface:

(Also, to be honest, I kind of hated Gaston... I don't know what it was, but he was such a jerk with a big ego that somehow I could tell he'd be the villain by the time I first saw him introduced to the screen.. the jerk. :P)

Obviously I have to pick Gaston cause y'know he's the best XD 

post-31004-0-63299400-1487731229.jpg

But I also choose Denahi, even tho he's not completely a villain, he WAS the villain of the movie and Brother Bear is one of my favorite movies so I had to mention him here  :squee:

post-31004-0-18353900-1487731242_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 4

XD In all serious, Chernabog; since, y'know, he's the literal Disney Devil.

It's still one of the most darkest scenes i have seen in any disney movie. The imagery in the entire night on bald mountain scene is just scary and sents a shiver down your spine.

He plays around with the souls of the death, as he kills them, only to revive them again.

• Brohoof 3

In all serious, Chernabog; since, y'know, he's the literal Disney Devil.

Admittedly I haven't watched the movie Fantasia, so I really don't know him... There's a couple of villains on the list I either don't remember very well or haven't seen the movies that they were in

Best to least best

-Yokai

- Davy jones (pirate of the caribbean.)

- Butch cassidy (lone ranger)

-Boogie man (nightmare before christmas)

-maleficent

-Ursula

-Hades

-Shan yu

-Captain hook

-Sha khan

Eidt. Special spot for the best:

-Headless horseman:  (The only disney villian that actually succeed killing off the main character)

Edited by Satrox
  • Brohoof 3

Over the last century, Disney has released animated movies with some of the most memorable Villians in history. Sometimes, the villains are the best part of those movies, because Disney delivers alot of times with their Villains, something which most other movie studios have failed at.

So who is your favorite, or what are some of your favorite Disney Villains out there?

I love villains like Scar, Hades, Frollo and Shere Khan. I think they are some of my favorites,

and yes, i have a soft spot for Kaa. :P

Hmmm...As a Disney Fan, I have many different favorite to enjoy watching; both when they're winning and when the hero defeats them. This might take some time to fully type out, but I'll do my best... how about for now, I just list my first, some funny and some scary, and leave some other categories for a later post.

First, there's the first Disney Villain that remember seeing: 

Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. Even as a 3 or 4-year-old seeing this on VHS, at an age where half of the words spoken went over my head, I emotionally could tell the guy was a jerk! Anyone who says he should have been the hero is blind to the sexist man who wouldn't just settle for one of those blonde-haired women fawning over him instead of Belle. Still, as an adult, I can appreciate an well-development villain who serves as a foil to the hero perfectly!

Villain that make think of FUNNY:

Cap'n Hook from Peter Pan whenever the Crocodile is near; the slapstick between the two is awesomely funny!

Jafar from Aladdin when he schemes with Iago.

Yzma from the Emperor's New Groove. Her lines with her henchman, Kronk are hilarious!

Villains that scared me as a child, although these choices were only for a brief moment in the films; As a adult; not so much anymore:

The Coachman from Pinocchio when he did his "as BOYS!" face

Monstro the Whale from Pinocchio as he jumps toward the camera with a wide open mouth! Even the animatronic at Disneyland still scares me to this day!

Jafar (again) once he has sent Aladdin to the frozen north and believes he has won, his maniacal laughter as the screen goes red spooked me!

oh yeah... And Ratigan from the Great Mouse Detective once he finally stops acting like a sophisicated villain and go full RAT on Basil! The part where he actually extends out his claws and strikes Basil....repeatedly horrified me!

@Mesme Rize, Jafar going all giant snake for the final battle was a bonus! I hope you don't think me bad for seeing one of my heroes Aladdin going up against a giant snake. :blush:

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 2

@Mesme Rize, Jafar going all giant snake for the final battle was a bonus! I hope you don't think me bad for seeing one of heroes Aladdin going up against a giant snake.

Dude, considering that alot of people see snakes as the literal devil, this is a minor concern for me. :P

• Brohoof 2

Lady Tremaine and Frollo, not just because of their actions, their presentation, or that they were non magical or powered beings making them more relatable, but also because they were in roles that are normally trusted ones. A public official and a domestic parent figure. The religious undertones in Frollo's actions also made him an easy double metaphor for the darker side of bending ones faith to your own will.

• Brohoof 3

First of all, let me compliment the OP on an exhaustive list of villain characters to vote on and not keeping it to just one vote.

@@Mesme Rize,

Compliments.

Anyway, I spaced them out a bit. I think these ones are "the best" but for different reasons. 

Chernabog: "The most scary." We all have that thing that we love as a kid precisely because it challenges us. We all have have that thing as a kid we fast forward through because it scares us. Having the Ave Maria beat him has dulled his edge somewhat for me as an adult but still. He remained target number one on my childhood revenge hit list in Kingdom Hearts.

Lady Tremaine: "The most hated." There are villains we fear. There are villains we recognize as threats. There are villains we laugh at. Then there are villains who bring out in us, demands for blood and screams of torment that we've never thought we were capable of. The Wicked Stepmother was this for me. So petty and loathsome that the fires of Hell itself don't feel like enough punishment. Such punishment that she never receives in the film proper.

Maleficent: "The most arch." That's not an insult. There needs to be a bottom line, a base for every other permutation to spin off of. Maleficent is one of the most iconic of Disney villains and everything about her is memorable. Her design, her voice, her class, her fiendish spells and tricks, her final form. Aurora and Phillip are nice, the three Fairies are pretty okay in terms of personality, but Maleficent dominates the proceedings of the film. People who haven't even seen the movie know who she is.

The Horned King: "The most terrifying." Remember how I said Chernabog doesn't frighten me as an adult the same way he did as a child? Such does not hold true for the Horned King. Even if I'm not scared to watch his scenes, I'm never comfortable when he is on screen. For that matter, nobody is. When he first appears, the raucous mead hall darkens and quiets, his presence sucking the life from the room and everyone too terrified to speak or move lest they invite his attention. Maleficent has class that makes her "approachable" for lack of a better term and it can be fun to ride her wave of evil for the sake of evil. The Horned King's ghoulish gaze inspires no feelings of vicarious mischief. He is the Disney version of Sauron, bent on the destruction and subjugation of all life, of nature not of this world, and desperate to attain a relic as damned as himself to affix his designs.

Judge Claude Frollo: "The most human." I'm sure most of us die-hard Disney fans have watched "Hellfire" more times than we care to count. Frollo might not inspire the same dread in me that the Horned King does, he may not be quite as iconic as Maleficent, but the most frightening thing about Frollo is just how human he is. A pious man convinced of his entitlement to a victim's body to satisfy his primal urge of lust? An authority figure using the law as a weapon to grind his particular ax? A father figure emotionally abusing his ward for years leading to said charge having deep seated self-confidence issues and a desperate need for affection? These are very real forms of predatory behavior that many people have been subjected to and Disney pulls very little punches in depicting them all in this one character.

John Silver: "The most redeemed." Maybe "redeemed" is too strong a word but the dynamic between Jim and Silver was one I came to appreciate more and more as I got older. It's fascinating because, while we see and come to understand villains in a lot of Disney movies, very rarely does the protagonist learn about them as we do. Silver has some fondness for Jim, which Scroop interprets as going soft but Silver never really puts Jim's welfare above his hunt for the treasure until the very end. For the lion's share of their time together the two goals simply didn't conflict. This creates a very interesting situation where the hero and the villain not only aren't at odds with each other for the bulk of the film, but form a very strong friendship, indeed a father-son bond. When the lines are drawn and they are forced to take up sides against one another, there is a great amount of reluctance on Silver's part and an equally palpable sense of betrayal on Jim's. So Silver isn't so much beaten as much as Jim wins him over. Even still, that doesn't cause Silver to renounce his criminal ways as Jim gets a legitimate career handed to him, he still sails off presumably to cause trouble elsewhere. It's so strange yet still emotionally satisfying that both the hero and the villain act as the righteous and the ruthless, both go through a character arc, and yet both are still relatively on the same "side" as when the story started and simply part ways peacefully.

Hans: "The most insidious." The character of Hans, his true motives, and his revelatory scene with Anna, all together, are nothing less than a master stroke for Disney. Frozen was a Lion King level flag planting of Disney in a new era. Everything up to a point was a grand reconstruction of Disney's identity, addressing common criticisms yet reminding audiences old and new what makes the brand magical, naturally through the narrative. That was until Hans said one line at the culmination of a music swell typically leading to a true love's kiss.

"Oh Anna. If only there was someone out there who loved you."

No joke, I felt my heart skip a beat, my jaw dropped. Hans kept talking and I felt my mind begin to unravel. It felt like something that was fundamental to my perception of reality was evaporating before my eyes, revealed as nothing more than a contrivance of my own naivete. Elsa is not a villain, but she is the functional antagonist as she is the cause of the conflict. More to the point, she has most of the traditional trappings of a Disney villain, the showy outfit, the most immediately magically powerful of the cast, the show stopping villain song expressing her desire and plans, a thuggish minion, etc. All of which is natural to her and works on its own but also serves as a convenient smokescreen for Hans, both from the other characters as well as the audience. A few of my writing teachers taught me that telling a story is like casting a spell. In this case, the magic trick is Elsa being the right hand that diverts attention so Hans as the left hand goes unexamined. When one watches the movie again, his motivations aren't painfully obvious but you still can see where hints are dropped.

We've had the traditionally good looking, "conventionally heroic" villain before in the form of Gaston. (Although I've never bought into the "in any other movie he'd have been the hero" argument. Guy started as a jerk and only got worse.) But Gaston was yodeling his villain credentials from a mountain top the moment we see him. We see Hans as Anna did, harmless, charming, an all around swell guy. We see him as she sees him again, except her world gets turned upside down when he takes off his mask, once again, mirroring our (or at least my) reaction. Is he "the best Disney villain ever?" I don't know about that, but he IS the villain that definitively established Disney as being capable of pulling the rug out from underneath us. It's because of him that I now go into every new Disney animated film immediately suspicious of everyone except the obviously evil character!

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

First of all, let me compliment the OP on an exhaustive list of villain characters to vote on and not keeping it to just one vote.

@@Mesme Rize,

Compliments.

Anyway, I spaced them out a bit. I think these ones are "the best" but for different reasons. 

Chernabog: "The most scary." We all have that thing that we love as a kid precisely because it challenges us. We all have have that thing as a kid we fast forward through because it scares us. Having the Ave Maria beat him has dulled his edge somewhat for me as an adult but still. He remained target number one on my childhood revenge hit list in Kingdom Hearts.

Lady Tremaine: "The most hated." There are villains we fear. There are villains we recognize as threats. There are villains we laugh at. Then there are villains who bring out in us, demands for blood and screams of torment that we've never thought we were capable of. The Wicked Stepmother was this for me. So petty and loathsome that the fires of Hell itself don't feel like enough punishment. Such punishment that she never receives in the film proper.

Maleficent: "The most arch." That's not an insult. There needs to be a bottom line, a base for every other permutation to spin off of. Maleficent is one of the most iconic of Disney villains and everything about her is memorable. Her design, her voice, her class, her fiendish spells and tricks, her final form. Aurora and Phillip are nice, the three Fairies are pretty okay in terms of personality, but Maleficent dominates the proceedings of the film. People who haven't even seen the movie know who she is.

The Horned King: "The most terrifying." Remember how I said Chernabog doesn't frighten me as an adult the same way he did as a child? Such does not hold true for the Horned King. Even if I'm not scared to watch his scenes, I'm never comfortable when he is on screen. For that matter, nobody is. When he first appears, the raucous mead hall darkens and quiets, his presence sucking the life from the room and everyone too terrified to speak or move lest they invite his attention. Maleficent has class that makes her "approachable" for lack of a better term and it can be fun to ride her wave of evil for the sake of evil. The Horned King's ghoulish gaze inspires no feelings of vicarious mischief. He is the Disney version of Sauron, bent on the destruction and subjugation of all life, of nature not of this world, and desperate to attain a relic as damned as himself to affix his designs.

Judge Claude Frollo: "The most human." I'm sure most of us die-hard Disney fans have watched "Hellfire" more times than we care to count. Frollo might not inspire the same dread in me that the Horned King does, he may not be quite as iconic as Maleficent, but the most frightening thing about Frollo is just how human he is. A pious man convinced of his entitlement to a victim's body to satisfy his primal urge of lust? An authority figure using the law as a weapon to grind his particular ax? A father figure emotionally abusing his ward for years leading to said charge having deep seated self-confidence issues and a desperate need for affection? These are very real forms of predatory behavior that many people have been subjected to and Disney pulls very little punches in depicting them all in this one character.

John Silver: "The most redeemed." Maybe "redeemed" is too strong a word but the dynamic between Jim and Silver was one I came to appreciate more and more as I got older. It's fascinating because, while we see and come to understand villains in a lot of Disney movies, very rarely does the protagonist learn about them as we do. Silver has some fondness for Jim, which Scroop interprets as going soft but Silver never really puts Jim's welfare above his hunt for the treasure until the very end. For the lion's share of their time together the two goals simply didn't conflict. This creates a very interesting situation where the hero and the villain not only aren't at odds with each other for the bulk of the film, but form a very strong friendship, indeed a father-son bond. When the lines are drawn and they are forced to take up sides against one another, there is a great amount of reluctance on Silver's part and an equally palpable sense of betrayal on Jim's. So Silver isn't so much beaten as much as Jim wins him over. Even still, that doesn't cause Silver to renounce his criminal ways as Jim gets a legitimate career handed to him, he still sails off presumably to cause trouble elsewhere. It's so strange yet still emotionally satisfying that both the hero and the villain act as the righteous and the ruthless, both go through a character arc, and yet both are still relatively on the same "side" as when the story started and simply part ways peacefully.

Hans: "The most insidious." The character of Hans, his true motives, and his revelatory scene with Anna, all together, are nothing less than a master stroke for Disney. Frozen was a Lion King level flag planting of Disney in a new era. Everything up to a point was a grand reconstruction of Disney's identity, addressing common criticisms yet reminding audiences old and new what makes the brand magical, naturally through the narrative. That was until Hans said one line at the culmination of a music swell typically leading to a true love's kiss.

"Oh Anna. If only there was someone out there who loved you."

No joke, I felt my heart skip a beat, my jaw dropped. Hans kept talking and I felt my mind begin to unravel. It felt like something that was fundamental to my perception of reality was evaporating before my eyes, revealed as nothing more than a contrivance of my own naivete. Elsa is not a villain, but she is the functional antagonist as she is the cause of the conflict. More to the point, she has most of the traditional trappings of a Disney villain, the showy outfit, the most immediately magically powerful of the cast, the show stopping villain song expressing her desire and plans, a thuggish minion, etc. All of which is natural to her and works on its own but also serves as a convenient smokescreen for Hans, both from the other characters as well as the audience. A few of my writing teachers taught me that telling a story is like casting a spell. In this case, the magic trick is Elsa being the right hand that diverts attention so Hans as the left hand goes unexamined. When one watches the movie again, his motivations aren't painfully obvious but you still can see where hints are dropped.

We've had the traditionally good looking, "conventionally heroic" villain before in the form of Gaston. (Although I've never bought into the "in any other movie he'd have been the hero" argument. Guy started as a jerk and only got worse.) But Gaston was yodeling his villain credentials from a mountain top the moment we see him. We see Hans as Anna did, harmless, charming, an all around swell guy. We see him as she sees him again, except her world gets turned upside down when he takes off his mask, once again, mirroring our (or at least my) reaction. Is he "the best Disney villain ever?" I don't know about that, but he IS the villain that definitively established Disney as being capable of pulling the rug out from underneath us. It's because of him that I now go into every new Disney animated film immediately suspicious of everyone except the obviously evil character!

Wow, I quite agree with most of your post, Steel. I'm surprised to see that you mentioned the Horned King! His movie is one I haven't seen see since the VHS in the 90's, but I still remember his gruesome death scene... (shivers). That film seems to me like one of the more obscure films that most non-Disney viewers wouldn't recognize.
  • Brohoof 2

Hans from Frozen, hands down. Gaston was so over the top you knew he was bad news, even when he had only winning a girl's heart in mind (for totally the wrong reasons, but, hey, no one makes a sexist pig of himself like Gaston), but Hans was cold, calculating, deceptive, and had everyone (except, perhaps, Elsa) fooled until it was almost too late. He's definitely the best of Disney's animated villains.

(For non-animated villains, ironically, it's also someone named Hans. Dr Hans Reinhardt from The Black Hole. He was a man whose obsession caused his good intentions to quite literally pave his road...)

• Brohoof 2

Wow, I quite agree with most of your post, Steel. I'm surprised to see that you mentioned the Horned King! His movie is one I haven't seen see since the VHS in the 90's, but I still remember his gruesome death scene... (shivers). That film seems to me like one of the more obscure films that most non-Disney viewers wouldn't recognize.

Oh it is to be sure, and even if I do think it's good, it's not exactly Little Mermaid or Aladdin quality. So I can kind of see why it gets passed over and even the cult following isn't really raving about it. So it is sort of a Disney fan's privy to even know of the film.

• Brohoof 2

I may not like the original Jungle Book very much, but I have to admit that Shere Khan really stood out to me for his sophisticated and charasmatic Villanueva, gave me something to really like from the film. I also have to vote for Frollo for being hands down the scariest villain for just how realistic his morally bankrupt motivations are, yet he sees himself as a hero and constantly tries to justify horrific actions as being for a just cause. His character definitely made the Hunchback of Noter Dame for me.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

BIG kudos to @Steel Accord for that wonderfully detailed post; and I honestly have to agree with the lot of it! Silver never would've come to mind originally, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of the Sauron (and Sombra, I must add) connection to the Horned King.

I'd like to add a couple:

Man: "The Most Ambiguous." I recently gave Bambi a watching for the first time in over a decade, and a few things really stood out that my younger self never really caught on to, and amongst those themes was that of man. It's easy to think of man as a villain here. The animals live in total and absolute fear of this 'creature' and the fire that destroys a portion of the forest is a result of man's carelessness. That said, we never actually see 'man' in the flesh nor do we actually know of their exact motivations. We could assume that they're just being reckless and killing for the fun of it, but it can be just as easily assumed they're hunting for food with little other option. While the climax max might point to the former, the earlier incidents (including the death of Bambi's mother) seem to point to the latter. In any case we do not know whether 'man' is evil, desperate, or something else; all we know is that the animals fear 'man' and in the game of survival; that's all that's needed.

Commander Roure: "The Betrayer." It's easy to right off a villain whose only goal is money. It's nothing new and can get downright boring. However, execution means a lot, and I feel Rourke is one of the better examples of this. It's not so much the money that sets him apart, but the fact that he fooled the main protagonist, the Atlanteans, and others to boot! Unlike Ratcliffe or Clayton who you could tell from the very start that they were no good; Rourke put on the persona of a southern gentleman at the start. Of course his motivation would become clear later, but at the start, he had everyone fooled.

• Brohoof 4

BIG kudos to Steel Accord for that wonderfully detailed post;

Thank you. I rarely post without putting at least some thought into my response, and it's Disney, a collection of stories which I have quite a lot of thoughts on.

Man:

Sidebar: In the surprisingly decent Bambi II, Man uses a deer call to lure Bambi out into the open. Only we don't hear a deer noise, we hear what Bambi hears, and it sounds like his mother literally calling to him from beyond the grave. It is disturbing.

Commander Roure: "The Betrayer." It's easy to right off a villain whose only goal is money. It's nothing new and can get downright boring. However, execution means a lot, and I feel Rourke is one of the better examples of this. It's not so much the money that sets him apart, but the fact that he fooled the main protagonist, the Atlanteans, and others to boot! Unlike Ratcliffe or Clayton who you could tell from the very start that they were no good; Rourke put on the persona of a southern gentleman at the start. Of course his motivation would become clear later, but at the start, he had everyone fooled.

I'm pretty much in that former category as well, but I do concede you have a point. Hell Rourke wasn't even necessarily trying to fool anyone at least at first. He and his team were excavators of lost civilizations. Vinny makes a mention of them plundering tombs. I'm mean do we despise Indiana Jones for being a grave robber? He gets paid to recover those artifacts too. Sinclair even says when it's revealed that the Atlanteans are indeed, still very much alive, 

"This changes everything." To which Rourke responds,

"This changes nothing." Had their been no one alive down there, it could have been everyone would have gotten what they wanted. Milo would have proven the existence of Atlantis, Vinny would have gotten his flower shop, Audrey could take care of her father and sister, Mole could have . . . joined the Court of Miracles beneath Paris? I don't know!

Rourke would have gotten the heart and he wouldn't have had to hurt anyone to obtain it. (Aaaaaadmittedly it probably would have made World War freakin' One even more devastating than it already was and he wouldn't have been able to transport it without a living descendant of the Royal family but one problem at a time.) Rourke could be an example of someone who doesn't start as the villain but becomes one when the circumstances of the film bring out the worst aspects of his self.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

Wow, what a feast of villainy to choose from!!

I picked Gaston because he's broad, funny and very original in that he's supposed to be the guy everyone in that poor provincial town loves and admires, rather than hates and fears.

Captain Hook is another great, humorous villain, and very original in his own right. Brilliantly voiced by Hans Conried. 

The Wicked stepmother, and Mother Gothel are probably the most menacing for me. They're so cool-headed, calculating and formidable, you've just gotta hate 'em!.

I do have a soft spot for the flamboyant ones like Ursula, Cruella, Mad Madam Mim and of course, Madame Medusa. They're just plain fun to watch.

There are so many and all with so much to offer, but these are my highlights. 

• Brohoof 1

oh god theres so many, but my personal faves are Frollo, Scar, Ursula, Cruella and Gaston. Shout out for Goob aka The Bowler Hat Guy, because it was pretty much a Disney version of Waluigi and I loved that film. 

but the two best Ive picked are McCleech (Rescuers down under) and Ratigan (Great Mouse Detective). McCleech is one of the most terrifying characters theyve come up with, yeah ok so he's a poacher, but my god there was no hesitation for abducting a child or even going ahead and attempt to kill him! now thats cold blooded! His personality is also brilliant for the role, not to mention whoever voiced him was spot on. 

Ratigan i know is just based on Moriarty, but Vincent Price just perfects that character, he's very good at acting evil and unbalanced. Plus Ratigan's final maddening form at the end used to scare me when I was a kid.  

Edit: Im gonna also add Turbo scared me when I first saw Wreck it Ralph (one of my fave Disney film now) and a pretty good villain. Hans of course, because of that one line infamous line and a reminder that there are some disgusting male personalities out there. 

But i want to mention Lady Tremane..... I had to go back and watch Cinderella and OMG! its actually relatable to this day! and I think thats why she should be considered one of the highest ranked Disney villains! The most disturbing scene was the dress being ripped from Cinders. It never had an impact on me when I was a kid, but now im grown up and more understanding of its themes and issues addressed, it really gets to you. 

Edited by StormBlaze