Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Who was the best animated disney villain? (Poll Included)

Mesme Rize

Best Disney Villain  

53 users have voted

1. 1. Who was the best Disney animated movie Villain

• The Evil Queen (Snow White and the seven Dwarfs)
    • Stromboli (Pinocchio)
    • Honest John (Pinocchio)
    • Chernabog (Fantasia)
    • Man (Bambi)
    • The Headless Horseman (The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr.Toad)
    • Lady Tremaine AKA the evil stepmother (Cinderella)
    • The Queen of Hearts (Alice in Wonderland)
    • Captain Hook (Peter Pan)
    • Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty)
    • Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmatians)
    • Madam Mim (The Sword in the Stone)
    • Shere Khan (The Jungle Book)
    • Kaa (The Jungle Book)
    • Edgar (The Aristocats)
    • Prince John (Robin Hood)
    • The Sheriff of Nottingham (Robin Hood)
    • Madame Medusa (The Rescuers)
    • Amos Slade (The Fox and the Hound)
    • The Horned King (The Black Cauldron)
    • Ratigan (The great Mouse Detective)
    • Bill Sykes (Oliver and Company)
    • Ursula (The little Mermaid)
    • Percival C. Mcleach (The Rescuers Down Under)
    • Gaston (Beauty and the Beast)
    • Jafar (Aladdin)
    • Scar (The Lion King)
    • Governor Ratcliffe (Pocahontas)
    • Judge Claude Frollo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
    • Hades (Hercules)
    • Shan Yu (Mulan)
    • Clayton (Tarzan)
    • Sabor (Tarzan)
    • Yzma (The Emperors New Groove)
    • Commander Lyle Terbius Rourke (Atlantis: The Lost Empire)
    • Captain Gantu (Lilo and Stitch)
    • John Silver (Treasure Planet)
    • Denahi (Brother Bear)
    • Alameda Slim (Home on the Range)
    • DOR-15 (Meet the Robinsons)
    • Bowler Hat Guy (Meet the Robinsons)
    • Doctor Facilier (Princess and the Frog)
    • Mother Gothel (Tangled)
    • Turbo/King Candy (Wreck-it Ralph)
    • Hans (Frozen)
    • Yokai (Big Hero 6)
    • Assistant Mayor Bellwether (Zootopia)
    • Te Ka (Moana)
    • Other

There are two that stand out to me because they break the mold of typical "evil for evil's sake" villain that I cant stand.

The first is Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame. I know this is a little unfair to call him a Disney villain because he appeared in the original 1831 novel but I like to think I can call out this "version" of the character and why I enjoy him. It seems like a strange choice on its face to pick a villain that isnt "powerful" or menacing by their appearance but its the complexity of the character I like and not their villainess influence on the story. He is a "Judge"(Archdeacon in the original novel) seeks to wipe out sin and corruption in the city of France under the authority of the church and his absolute belief in god. His actions and motives in the beginning seem almost noble with the goal to make the world a better place for the people who live in it but obviously that can be taken too far with oppressive religious laws. He is a man who really feels he is doing the right thing and at no point before meeting Ezmerelda questioned his loyalty to his cause. He doesnt seem to take joy in his job but rather an unyielding sense of duty to it. This includes killing those he deems "monsters" like treacherous Gypsies who practice witchcraft and the misshapen Quasimodo.

Its not until he meets Ezmerelda that his senses are lured by human lust and he goes from an iron fisted enforcer to a irredeemable monster himself. Being a religious righteous man he put faith in his motives never questioning them but then starts to lust after the gypsies and is even aware hes slipping from his path. He knows he shouldnt be attracted to her and fights his human desires while slowly losing his connection to god and ultimately to insanity. Its the fact that he is aware of his shortcomings as a human and seeks forgiveness that I think hes a great villain because it shows a villain doesnt have to "born" evil to be evil and that hes just man trying to do the right thing in his own mind but cannot overcome his human weakness.

Another villain I like really came to my attention after watching a study about him. Gaston from Beauty and the Beast is I think the ultimate atypical villain in both his actions and design. He appears as this confident, capable burly strongman with a chiseled chin. The town loves him and everyone looks up to him. From just that description it doesnt sound like im talking about a dark robed angry villain am I. These sound like classic traits of the prototypical hero. The gallant knight of the story who rides across the land to save the maiden from the viscous beast who has her kept in his castle. Its this initial description that made me look deeper in a characters design to realize the story is influencing you with tropes of traditional story telling to turn the "hero versus beast" story on its head. The only real downside they paint Gaston in the beginning is being foppish, narcissistic and not an intellectual. He really only feels he "deserves" bell as a wife because of how hard hes worked in life to get where he is and how he considers himself the ultimate man. He doesnt "force" her to marry him like other villains but really is unaware of Belle's disinterest in him. I mean considering he's the town hero and all other girls fall at his feet why doesnt he deserve her. He may even be aware of Belle's disinterest but it could be that desire to chase what he cant have. That the challenge he wants to face to win over Belle only makes him focus on her. He's not a menace or any kind of threat in the beginning and doesnt really come one until halfway through the film when he finds out about the beast.

Its then after finding about the beasts existence that he becomes the true villain of the story but again its not in his nature to be "evil" and was never characterized that way, but rather his narcissism makes him extremely greedy and feels if he's not owed something by life that it was taken from him. Its interesting because as I said before he's not an intellectual like Belle who reads but he's clearly the smartest man in the village being very cunning and aware of things many are not and how to use that to his advantage. He gets the village to believe beast is this monster who comes and steals off with you in the night but is well aware of his docile and "kind" nature knowing he just needs to get inside the castle to confront the beast to "win" Belle. He sees fighting and killing beast as this challenge to overcome and prove to himself he really does deserve everything he has. He demands the beast fight back to prove his superiority to himself. To show this beast that he wrong to love a human girl and should be with Gaston like the happily ever afters.

Cruella De Vil.  She's far from being my favourite, and 101 Dalmatians (although a great film) is well down my list on the whole, but the question did specify best villain, and not favourite villain.  She is just the most iconic villain that Disney has produced, there simply isn't one more memorable.

Edited by Concerned Bystander

Cruella De Vil.  She's far from being my favourite, and 101 Dalmatians (although a great film) is well down my list on the whole, but the question did specify best villain, and not favourite villain.  She is just the most iconic villain that Disney has produced, there simply isn't one more memorable.

Cruella is indeed very iconic and appears constantly in best movie villain lists and not just animated villains, but movies in general.

I think the fact that she would be willing to kill almost 100 puppies to turn them into furcoat makes her very coldblooded and just evil. She obviously has no sense of compassion.

• Brohoof 1

Over the last century, Disney has released animated movies with some of the most memorable Villians in history. Sometimes, the villains are the best part of those movies, because Disney delivers alot of times with their Villains, something which most other movie studios have failed at.

So who is your favorite, or what are some of your favorite Disney Villains out there?

I love villains like Scar, Hades, Frollo and Shere Khan. I think they are some of my favorites,

and yes, i have a soft spot for Kaa. :P

I have actually read a story where Kaa tried to eat Twilight. It did not end well for him.

• Brohoof 1

Cruella is indeed very iconic and appears constantly in best movie villain lists and not just animated villains, but movies in general.

I think the fact that she would be willing to kill almost 100 puppies to turn them into furcoat makes her very coldblooded and just evil. She obviously has no sense of compassion.

So, Cruella is definitely a contender for me. 

But killing the puppies is one of the least of her great sins.

She stole the beloved pets from other people.

She hired muscle to force their way into people's homes for these abductions.

The world is overflowing with cats and dogs.  adopting 100 puppies from shelters to turn them into a coat would raise an eyebrow for me, but wouldn't increase the net dog death in the world.  There would just be 100 fewer deaths in the shelters.  

I'm going Scar for this given he killed his brother the king and took over!  He did what no other evil cannon did in Disney even to this date!  I mean in the history,  yah maybe Jafar was a close 2ed given he ruled like for a matter of days (movie might put it as hours but it would have taken Al a bit to get back in truth even with a flying rug) but he fell into the "MUST HAVE MORE POWER AND RULE THE WORLD" sadly we see used a bit....

Hades,  our only true "god" of the being evil!  He killed the love interest,  used her soul to nearly kill the hero and did with a high flare and fashion we sadly don't see much anymore.  Also he is a god of death with his own personal kingdom and yah,  its like hell but he is one of the closet to nearly make to rule all of the world at the time. 

• Brohoof 1

As for who I voted for in the poll, I didn't necessarily voted for the "best" Animated Disney Villains as much as I voted for the villains that "left an impression on me" Villains like Shan-Yu are not objectively as great as Gaston, but still have a scene or two that I can quote by heart. I'll give a more detailed list of my choices later.

As for who I voted for in the poll, I didn't necessarily voted for the "best" Animated Disney Villains as much as I voted for the villains that "left an impression on me" Villains like Shan-Yu are not objectively as great as Gaston, but still have a scene or two that I can quote by heart. I'll give a more detailed list of my choices later.

i can quote an entire song about gaston though!

♫ no one plots like gaston, takes cheap shots like gaston

plans to persecute harmelss crackpots like gaston! ♫

• Brohoof 1

Ah so many good villains! One quasi-villain I feel like should have been added is the demon/mountain at the end of fantasia. That dude was scary and powerful and COOL. I can understand why he may not be considered a villain since there wasn't much of a plot anyway, but man that dude scared me straight as a kid.

Ah so many good villains! One quasi-villain I feel like should have been added is the demon/mountain at the end of fantasia. That dude was scary and powerful and COOL. I can understand why he may not be considered a villain since there wasn't much of a plot anyway, but man that dude scared me straight as a kid.

Actually, the villain you're describing IS already on the poll list. That's Chernabog!

• Brohoof 1

Not a Disney Movie villain, But still a Dinsey Villain nonetheless, 

2690980fa6970cb1426c3f7d826238a7.png

Where every other Disney villain chooses to fight with overwhelming power or sheer brute force...He chooses to fight with wit and cunning. 

He's Disney's chess master archetype of villainy, You don't really know his end game or what he's planning ....but you know every move he makes is a planned choice. You never really know just how many moves ahead he's thinking...Which is what makes him interesting to me. 

I feel a bit bad for the more obscure villains that never get mentioned then again I bet no one ever remembers the names of these villains...at least I sure didnt

rs_560x415-140514135139-1024.Disney-Vill

clayton-tarzan.gif

Walt-Disney-Characters-image-walt-disney

tumblr_n72q4bj7Op1snsjmyo1_500.gif

hqdefault.jpg

(edited)

I feel a bit bad for the more obscure villains that never get mentioned then again I bet no one ever remembers the names of these villains...at least I sure didnt

sig-4824346.rs_560x415-140514135139-1024

sig-4824346.clayton-tarzan.gif

sig-4824346.Walt-Disney-Characters-image

sig-4824346.tumblr_n72q4bj7Op1snsjmyo1_5

sig-4824346.hqdefault.jpg

From top to bottom

1:Ratcliff (may have mispelled) - Pocahontas

2:Clayton.- Tarzan

3: Medusa - The Rescuers.

4: Amos Slade - The Fox and the Hound

5: Madam/Lady Tramain - Cinderella

I pulled all of those from my head without the use of Google. :)

Edited by Twilight-Shimmer

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see :

I really, really, REALLY love Maleficent. Here's a little trivia : when I was younger, I wanted to be like Morticia Addams and/or Maleficent. You know, looking like a beautiful villainess and all. Plus Maleficent has such a charisma. 

Then Jafar, because of his charisma as well and I really love the interaction with his villainous sidekick, Iago. (And Jafar has a..... sexy voice in the French dub, ha ha ha !)

Judge Frollo is one of my fave villains as well because.... seriously, he has one heck of a criminal record : murder, confinement and even more !

And finally Long John Silver. I really liked this take on this famous character.

Mal. Beats out Jafar in my book only by the fact she didn't get beaten ed by stupidity on her own part xD 

And she's also a reminder to always invite everyone important to your party x.x 

• Brohoof 2