Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you not like Starlight Glimmer or why do you like her?

Tilgoreth

How you feel about Starlight Glimmer  

49 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like Starlight Glimmer?

• Yes I love my little Glim Glam!!!
    • No I hate her, she is pony Hitler!!!
    • No she is a cheap Sunset Shimmer ripoff!!!
    • I only liked her after season six finale or after No Second Prances/season six premiere.

Are you kidding? Starlight's my second favorite character in the show because I can really relate to her! Especially in No Second Prances! I too have trouble making friends, and I'd befriend the most unpopular pony in town if I had to!

• Brohoof 2

I am still neutral towards her despite her most recent actions pleasing me to a great extent. In my eyes, Starlight just needs to go that extra mile before I can safely say that I like her as a character.

• Brohoof 3

I like her because she puts a show in a different perspective and in a different direction. While I still like Twilight, it's clear that she is no longer the pony we once knew in the first 4 seasons. The personality she had is gone and now she is no longer interesting and I feel that had the show not made Starlight a main character, the show would've ended by now in a bad note.

I also thought that Starlight had a better ending than Twilight because she didn't need to rely on the WHOLE Remane 5 to defeat a villain and while she may need some improvement, it was her first season and I'm glad that the show was taking a chance on a new character and trying out something different rather than be something like Spongebob or Simpsons and defeating every villain with magic and a rainbow.

Because the show is called Friendship is Magic and not named after Twilight, I think the show can get away from having to make a spinoff just because of a new main character.

• Brohoof 4

I like Starlight, and I hope to see a lot more of her in future seasons. I know many people can relate to her and how she's not perfect, and I think with a bit more development she can be a real main character and contribute lots to the show and its storyline

• Brohoof 1

she didn't need to rely on the WHOLE Remane 5 to defeat a villain

Actually, Starlight is the one who HEAVILY REPLIED to her friends in the whole S6 finale. Without them, she will never go that far, but that what i love about S6 finale because it valued teamwork. 

I am still neutral towards her despite her most recent actions pleasing me to a great extent. In my eyes, Starlight just needs to go that extra mile before I can safely say that I like her as a character.

If you still give her a chance, that's enough.

Its not that I hate glimglam, but I just wish that sunset shimmer could have returned to equestria, and with starlight glimmer's arc that is not very likely to happen anymore

Luckily. i like Sunset and Starlight so i prefer to have all of them =]].

But I know a lot of people hate her.

They arent numerous, they just have the loudest voice, I have read a ton of negative comments with the same guys for 5 months... the way they talk, the dialogues are just similar to their last comments in the last months after S6 finale ends, especially about GlimGlam.

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 2

Starlight is EASILY my fave character, even though I can't exactly pinpoint the reason. I just love how she's presented in the show; she's awkward and has social anxiety but she is trying to be a genuine person and move forward from her past mistakes, which makes her relatable in my eyes.

Also I like how she's something of a foil to Twilight, or who Twi used to be. She's incredibly talented and gifted with her magic, yet she let her fears get to her and used her powers in a misguided way. I do like that she is incredibly powerful, and no I don't think it's unrealistic. Again, Twi was strong before she became a princess, so it's not unreasonable or hard for be to believe.

I just hope we get more of her and get to see her continue to grow in the next season~

• Brohoof 3

I don't hate Starlight but she is not one of my favorites. I really dislike the incredibly weak back story and unbelievable rushed reformation in the season 5 finale. Plus she still doesn't have any meaningful gful relationship with the rest of the mane six. I also feel that she hadn't had to overcome any major consequences to her actions and is forgiven way too easily.

• Brohoof 3

I like her, She is a example of a person who is trying to do good but still  feel that insecurity due to her past mistake.  Basically like Luna.  Sure she does some mistake, but c'mon it been like several years since being  under influence of dictatorship and hatred. It's not like she going to discard that within a week and become 100% good person. Welcome to real world people.

• Brohoof 2

Where's the total indifference option? She's alright. She exists, she has episodes. She's aight.

yeah, better poll options would have been:

• love
  • indifferent
  • dislike
  • hate

I'm a big fan.

She has a complex and slowly developing arc.  I love that the authors took the time to show her struggles.

It would have made no sense for her to go from confident and evil to confident and good.  So when they took the brokenness away that lead to her bad acts, they gave her a more believable disorientation and self-doubt.  

I asked Kelly Sheridan about the range of emotions she had to display and she said something like: "Starlight is the DREAM for a voice actress.  There is such a stunning amount of variety to her to get to showcase." and that is basically the crux of the issue.  This is one of the better arcs in the series, as far as evolution is concerned.  There are lots of interesting episodes in the show that the writers seem to forget about and rehash, but that is not how starlight worked.  

Starlight also created a larger amount of future season excitement.  just halfway through the season, I was more optimistic and excited about the 2nd half of the season than I was about the 2nd half of any season in the past (i started watching at the beginning of season 2).  

But i'm probably a little biased...

Because I am just thrilled with Sunburst.  I cosplayed sunburst because their relationship is really neat.  The two characters made each other more interesting.  

• Brohoof 4

If you still give her a chance, that's enough.

I wanted the season six finale to give me a reason to like her and it fulfilled that quota remarkably well, yet it needed to go just a little bit further for my tastes. Hopefully, whatever she does in season seven will be enough to push her past the final hurdle.

• Brohoof 1

Starlight is one of my favorites from MLP. The epsidoes with her was mostly the best of S6. I also find her really interesting and she gives new ideas into the show in my opinion. I also find her really cute. ^^

• Brohoof 1

I'm a big fan, I love how complex she is (without it becoming "too deep"), and how she is very lovable either as a villain or as a protagonist. She was a way better rival for Twilight than Trixie and Sunset ever were, and her reformation arc was very satisfactory. I'm also convinced Kelly Sheridan is one of the best voice actors of the medium just because of her performance as Starlight, a less talented VA wouldn't have been able to give such a range of emotions to a character. 

• Brohoof 2

Forgot to mention I approve of Starlight because she restored balance to the force. We now have 2 unicorns, 2 pegasi, and 2 earth ponies in the main cast. 

Its not that I hate glimglam, but I just wish that sunset shimmer could have returned to equestria, and with starlight glimmer's arc that is not very likely to happen anymore

It never was going to happen because they are keeping EQG strictly subservient to show canon. If Sunset were to appear in the show she would be unexplained 

The only thing I hate is how her OPness still hasn't been explained (thus forcing me to make my own headcanon: The Map gave her a boost when she used that time spell on it).

Everything else about her is A-OK, IMO.

She was OP back in the S5E1. From the flashback in S5E26 it can seen she was ALWAYS a powerful unicorn, and it's explained she's just done a ton of research in spellcraft. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 1

I like her because she puts a show in a different perspective and in a different direction. While I still like Twilight, it's clear that she is no longer the pony we once knew in the first 4 seasons. The personality she had is gone and now she is no longer interesting and I feel that had the show not made Starlight a main character, the show would've ended by now in a bad note.

I also thought that Starlight had a better ending than Twilight because she didn't need to rely on the WHOLE Remane 5 to defeat a villain and while she may need some improvement, it was her first season and I'm glad that the show was taking a chance on a new character and trying out something different rather than be something like Spongebob or Simpsons and defeating every villain with magic and a rainbow.

Because the show is called Friendship is Magic and not named after Twilight, I think the show can get away from having to make a spinoff just because of a new main character.

I wouldn't really call Starlight a main character. She's still a secondary character. She'll probably remain that way from now on.

The only thing I hate is how her OPness still hasn't been explained (thus forcing me to make my own headcanon: The Map gave her a boost when she used that time spell on it).

Everything else about her is A-OK, IMO.

This is something I've always thought was strange about mlp. How powerful a specific magic can be is never explained. We can't say alicorns are the most powerful considering how quickly. Celestia, Luna, and Cadence are taken out. Twilight used to be a very powerful unicorn. She's still powerful obviously. But Starlight was only defeated because Twilight convinced her to change. Even and alicorn princess couldn't defeat Starlight. Also in Every Little Thing She Does Starlight combined some very powerful spells. And she did it in seconds. Something that Twilight was shown to have trouble with in the season six premiere. Also Sunburst can do the same thing. Coming up with powerful spell combinations on the fly. He just can't perform them himself. So is he a weaker magic user than Starlight? Is Starlight the most powerful unicorn we've seen so far? We don't know. Since there isn't a point of reference.

Forgot to mention I approve of Starlight because she restored balance to the force. We now have 2 unicorns, 2 pegasi, and 2 earth ponies in the main cast. 

It never was going to happen because they are keeping EQG strictly subservient to show canon. If Sunset were to appear in the show she would be unexplained 

She was OP back in the S5E1. From the flashback in S5E26 it can seen she was ALWAYS a powerful unicorn, and it's explained she's just done a ton of research in spellcraft.

Don't forget one baby dragon.

I wouldn't really call Starlight a main character. She's still a secondary character. She'll probably remain that way from now on.

This is something I've always thought was strange about mlp. How powerful a specific magic can be is never explained. We can't say alicorns are the most powerful considering how quickly. Celestia, Luna, and Cadence are taken out. Twilight used to be a very powerful unicorn. She's still powerful obviously. But Starlight was only defeated because Twilight convinced her to change. Even and alicorn princess couldn't defeat Starlight. Also in Every Little Thing She Does Starlight combined some very powerful spells. And she did it in seconds. Something that Twilight was shown to have trouble with in the season six premiere. Also Sunburst can do the same thing. Coming up with powerful spell combinations on the fly. He just can't perform them himself. So is he a weaker magic user than Starlight? Is Starlight the most powerful unicorn we've seen so far? We don't know. Since there isn't a point of reference.

Don't forget one baby dragon.

Pretty sure Twilight DID manage to defeat Starlight, it just still screwed up the timeline when she did. 

And there is also a alicorn, but baby dragons and alicorns don't count.