Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Is it Easy to Upgrade Hardware on Windows 10?

Nit Pick

I'm looking to upgrade my computer's motherboard and CPU. Some old stuff says I need to remove drivers before I upgrade. Windows 10 related stuff says they made it easier which is promising but I need an affirmation if this is true.

For example if I upgrade the parts that I want and move the old stuff in like hard drives; I should not lose anything?

My old laptop, as soon as I put windows 10 on it it operated too slowly to do anything. Now I am on a win7 desktop. Can't believe I paid someone to kill my laptop.

Worst part is it wasn't even my idea, silly parent suggested I should.

@@Vulon Bii, Good to know.

Just to double check, you didn't uninstall all the drivers before you upgraded did you?

*watches ReviewTechUSA's video about the Ryzen* Holy shit... um.... now I am. :3

Edited by Nit Pick

Win7 is 2009 and updated (big updates) until 2011 with service pack 1, Windows 10 is 2015 and 2 years of updates

Win7 is old now

Lol looks like i read the question wrong O.o why was I answering this

If it's your CPU/Motherboard you'll want to link your License of Windows 10 to your Microsoft account, or create a Microsoft account if you don't already have one created.

Here's a how to:

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

It'll save any headache after a big hardware change like a Motherboard/CPU.  So when you install your new CPU/Motherboard, windows will auto activate when you login to your Microsoft account.

The older versions of Windows used to tie the license to the Motherboard of a PC and so you had to get a new copy of Windows if you changed motherboards...Luckily with Win 10, that's no longer an issue,

I'd also recommend creating a Windows 10 Install media CD/USB, link below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

This is useful for a simple Hard Drive swap..or even repairing your copy of Windows 10, should something go wrong.

• Brohoof 1