Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you do when someone asks "Can you hear me?" on the phone?

Feather Data

Say "No" to see if they realise I actually can hear them and I'm just trying to fool them  :proud:

I've thought about doing that if I get the "can you hear me" scam just to IRL troll. xD

But honestly, just hang up is usually what they say, just in case it's the infamous scam.

I would hung up. I'm not falling for that.

Either way I wouldn't pick it up if there an unknown caller.

I've never heard of the scam surrounding this - you learn something new every day, I suppose!

When I'm talking with friends, I usually say "no" just to try and be funny.

• Brohoof 1

i usually say "no" :P

I've thought about doing that if I get the "can you hear me" scam just to IRL troll. xD

But honestly, just hang up is usually what they say, just in case it's the infamous scam.

a... scam? o.O how does that work exactly?

• Brohoof 1

a... scam? o.O how does that work exactly?

There are automated phone systems that use the specific sound of your voice to identify you. Scammers are wanting a recording of you saying "yes" so that they can eg: authorize withdrawing all your money from your bank account.

With friends, I'll say something snarky, such as "possibly". With everyone else that I know, I pretty much respond with a simple "yes". :P

I've never been in a situation where a scammer/automated voice recording has asked that question.

• Brohoof 1

I immediately ask 'Can you hear ME?' in the form of a response. That way, it eliminates confusion on both sides. If some weird connection issue is happening on a phone or on Skype for example, it could affect both sides making it difficult to hear either one. So I ask that to not only confirm that I can hear the other person but also to make sure they can hear me properly as well. Two in one combo.

• Brohoof 1

I would ask why they would ask me something like that first of all before either responding accordingly afterwards or choosing to hang up if the situation ends up getting too weird for my tastes.

There are automated phone systems that use the specific sound of your voice to identify you. Scammers are wanting a recording of you saying "yes" so that they can eg: authorize withdrawing all your money from your bank account.

They record you saying yes, and use that recording as false evidence you authorized a charge you never authorized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGoRQzUFPmc

oh wow o.o i didnt know this...

learn something new everyday i guess

Well this actually happened once when one of my family friends called and when I picked up the said hello and I started chatting away until around five seconds after I started chatting they said can you hear me and then the said hello ad least two more times rapidly than when they said it again the line cut out just after I herd a H... I thought it was pretty funny that they were having phone line problems as they probably couldn't hear me and the line cut out after only 20 seconds after picking up. :)

theres a scam? ok well ive not had that one yet.

can you hear me is a common thing for us, we work with clients who live in the countryside so quite often their mobile line cuts out, same with calling my parents. and also wireless landline phones are rubbish for it too. the quality is so bad so yeah i just deal with it

theres a scam? ok well ive not had that one yet.

can you hear me is a common thing for us, we work with clients who live in the countryside so quite often their mobile line cuts out, same with calling my parents. and also wireless landline phones are rubbish for it too. the quality is so bad so yeah i just deal with it

The scam is common in the US, but may make its way abroad. Soon it can happen in Canada, and the UK, so be on your guard.

the best response to give is as I quote. "I can hear you"

Whatever you do, do not say yes, or something similar to sounding like you agree to something

Edited by Feather Data