Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you do when someone asks "Can you hear me?" on the phone?

Feather Data

​I didn't know there was a scam to it, good to know.  It's unfortunate that one has to be careful with these things in the first place :\...

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, any situation which involves me being on the phone already necessitates undoubtedly dubious circumstances. I almost never use the phone if I can help it; I just don't like phone conversations. However, if someone asked me that I would probably respond with "I dunno, can you hear me?".

(edited)

I usually say "No, can you?" and try and annoy them (if they're a friend of course) with continuing this, especially when they want me to do something for them, such as bring something back to the library for them. For example after saying no can you and they begin to continue their conversation I say: "I wish I could bring your book back to the library, if only I could hear what you were asking me to do. Such a shame, what a cruel world."

Edited by MintTiramisu

I really mess with people who call me from unknown numbers and ask me that. My first reply is always in Spanish then I speak in french then hang up. They never call back so it always make me laugh.

Look in the camera like Jim on The Office.
I'm not actually sure what I would do since that kind of moments don't happen to me often, but if I was feeling a bit snarky at the time, I'd probably just say "No".

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it's with my friends, then I would reply with, "Hello?" That, or I would ask them, "Can you hear me at all? Are you still there?"

If it's someone trying to scam me, then I would not say anything and would just hang up. 

I've never once been called with this scam, though by now of course I know what it is. I'm more used to the tired old debt collector or fake IRS scam pretending I owe something.

Now if I know without a doubt who is calling me, then of course I just say "yes."

(edited)

I've gotten those calls :okiedokieloki: I usually hang up and laugh about it, but sometimes when telemarketers and scam artist call me I just want to use my Pinkie Pie voice and say random phrases in her voice.

Edited by chaosprincess

I generally don't pick up numbers I don't know the source of. I have no reason to trust the unknown source at the other end of the line; if it's something important, they'll leave a message. My answer specifically to anyone asking if I can hear them is "Can you hear me?" Be aware though that there are more ways to trick someone into saying yes other than that question; they can use basic social engineering to get people passively agreeing with them.

Let's say they're pretending to be a charity and then they say, "You want improved health-care for poor starving orphans in Southern Africa, right?" What do you say to that dialogue prompt? No? What kind of soulless, heartless jerk are you? :okiedokieloki:

(I actually had this happen before I started doing this filtering. My solution was hanging up as I was fairly suspicious of them already.)

On 2/23/2017 at 0:56 PM, AppleDashPoni said:

There are automated phone systems that use the specific sound of your voice to identify you. Scammers are wanting a recording of you saying "yes" so that they can eg: authorize withdrawing all your money from your bank account.

Wouldn't you need more than just a recording (okay, and a phone number) of someone saying "yes" to withdraw all their money? I still don't understand.

I never really answer any number that I don't know but I wasn't aware of this actually being a scam but thanks to this thread, I'm definitely 100% not answering any unknown calls now.