Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

rainbow rocks Did Twilight fail in her role as Princess of Friendship in Rainbow Rocks?

Twilight-Shimmer

Okay, this has been on my mind for awhile now, so I figured I would share my thoughts with others..

Okay, in the first movie Twilight and her human friends defeat Sunset Shimmer and Twilight extends her hand in friendship to Sunset, and becomes her friend. (as do the rest of the humane 6)

Now in the Second movie Rainbow Rocks, Twilight, Sunset and friends, defeat the Siren's Adagio Dazzle, Aria Blaze, and Sonata Dusk. BUT Instead of making sure they were/would be okay, and extending their hands in friendship to the three sirens. They all just let the trio run away.

To me this is a failure on Twilight's part as a Princess of Friendship. she offered Friendship and redemption to Sunset, so why not the Sirens? Further, what if something happened to the trio now that they didn't have their pendants? What if they couldnt survive without em? Twilight just letting em run off felt wrong ultimately

well, she didn't offer a hand in friendship when Trixie ran off in Boast Busters, or in Magic Duel, not did she offer a hoof to Starlight Gutter when she ran off, in The Cutie Map. 

but Twilight has shown numerous examples aside from these, where she doesn't really feel like the PoF/ Like in the Hooffeilds and McColts- ignoring Fluttershy's help, and entire presence. Still holding Trixie's past against her, in her season 6 episode. And the list goes on. 

• Brohoof 1

Not really.

Twilight ended up being a bit of a mentor figure to Sunset Shimmer, and helped her fully understand friendship, which in turn lead to Sunset's contribution that allowed the mane 7 to save the day in the end.

And after Twilight taught Sunset about friendship, and how Daydream Shimmer was able to defeat Midnight Sparkle and teach Sci Twi about friendship.

Basically Twilight by reaching out to someone who didn't know the first thing about friendship, was able to help Sunset grow as a person, to the point where she could teach someone in a similar position about friendship.

I think she made a decent princess of friendship as a result of that.

well, she didn't offer a hand in friendship when Trixie ran off in Boast Busters, or in Magic Duel, not did she offer a hoof to Starlight Gutter when she ran off, in The Cutie Map. 

but Twilight has shown numerous examples aside from these, where she doesn't really feel like the PoF/ Like in the Hooffeilds and McColts- ignoring Fluttershy's help, and entire presence. Still holding Trixie's past against her, in her season 6 episode. And the list goes on. 

she.. ignored fluttershy's help? when?

I mean I understand why she holds a grudge with Trixie, mostly because I think shes scared having starlight being friends with a pony with a bad past wont help her. at least that's what I think

Not really.

Twilight ended up being a bit of a mentor figure to Sunset Shimmer, and helped her fully understand friendship, which in turn lead to Sunset's contribution that allowed the mane 7 to save the day in the end.

And after Twilight taught Sunset about friendship, and how Daydream Shimmer was able to defeat Midnight Sparkle and teach Sci Twi about friendship.

Basically Twilight by reaching out to someone who didn't know the first thing about friendship, was able to help Sunset grow as a person, to the point where she could teach someone in a similar position about friendship.

I think she made a decent princess of friendship as a result of that.

Yes but what of the Sirens in Rainbow Rocks? Twilight didn't try and help them at all after the Rainbooms defeated em.

Yes but what of the Sirens in Rainbow Rocks? Twilight didn't try and help them at all after the Rainbooms defeated em.

Well they didn't ask for forgiveness like Sunset did at the end of the first movie, in fact they kept on trying to control others using their singing after being defeated, even though they were obviously failing due to no longer having magic.

Plus without their magic they aren't really that much of a threat anymore, so at the moment Twilight didn't need to worry about them.

Well they didn't ask for forgiveness like Sunset did at the end of the first movie, in fact they kept on trying to control others using their singing after being defeated, even though they were obviously failing due to no longer having magic.

Plus without their magic they aren't really that much of a threat anymore, so at the moment Twilight didn't need to worry about them.

I dunno, call me overly soft hearted but it just didn't feel right to me letting em just run off, without at least making sure they'd be okay.

Edited by Twilight-Shimmer

Hm, interesting question.

Real world answer: having Twilight step-up at the end would have minimized the thematic focus of Sunset's arc, since that part of the film was more heavily focused on her role. Perhaps the real failure was in not having Sunset extend that hand in friendship. However, that may have made the next film's climax feel like a rehash if Sunset had indeed done the standard 'hand/hood/claw' of friendship to former rivals.

I almost guarantee this was a discussion point when they did the treatment and script revisions.

At the end, they could sense that they did not feel contrite at the end in comparison to Sunset. They just got super laser blasted by Unicorn Ex Machina, but they still tried to belt out their siren song. There was no desire to seek friendship, and if they could have their powers back and wreck havoc, they would.

What would be left of fantasy without the basket of irredeemables?

Praise Kek, as it is because of this villainy that one is able to pose such questions. Fear its absence, as it is this grace that turns sheep into wolves.

• 4 weeks later...

The fact Twilight didn't find the answer in 19 minutes of story time was needed. Contrived or not, it was a very smart idea in terms of character advancement two fold:

• Twilight needed to be fallible again, she can't just show up and fix every universes problem. It's the same reason Tony lost his armor for most of Iron Man 3, you had to prove that he's more then his armor, and they did. Same with her, you need to show that not just Twilight is able to fix these things.
  • Sunset needed to have a moment of revelation where she came out of her bunker of self doubt and really get groomed to take over Twilight's role in the group. The addition of SciTwi complicated and yet helped this as well, due to the fact Sunset needed someone she could relate to on self doubt, and needed a Pipe Laying prop, that is, in order to explain certain things that everyone else knows but someone may not.

Overall, I'd say no, she didn't. She's at best a visitor, and at worst, a meddler (albeit unintentionally, same as Sunset) so her conscious should be entirely clear :)

Problem with this ideal with Queen Cheeselegs and the Three in Rainbow Rocks is simple.

You can't FORCE someone to be your friend.

It's like forcing some one to be free.

You can lead a changeling to friendship but you can't make them Friendly.

-

There is another thing to be considered.

_
I call it the green goblin problem.

The problem is simple..... Just like spiderman with the whole gwen stacy thing.

There is a simple lesson that must be taught to all hero's.....

you can't save everyone.

Nor should you be expected to.

And with friendship it's a two way street.

it's like a hero holding there hand out to a villain hanging off a cliff... and saying "Take my hand."
If the villain looks and then and state. "No." And then lets go. the Hero didn't fail. The Villian was simply playing the game by different rules.