Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gamer Pizza

I've been posting a lot of episode ideas for MLP, some of which got a wonderful amount of support. However, this idea may be my biggest one yet. Sit tight, fillies and gentle colts, because I'm about to lay down what is possibly the best episode idea ever (at this moment and time).

William Stranton, a normal guy living in Missouri, gets sucked into a vortex, teleporting him to Ponyville at night. After trying to get some answers as to where he is and getting hit unconscious by rainbow dash, he wakes up in prison. He is told by Twilight that he is charged with arson. However, Twilight takes pity on William and decides to help him out by solving the arson case. Long story short, William is found not guilty, and Celestia even offers him a place in Ponyville. William agrees under one condition; if another human is to ever come into Equestria again, they are to be treated as friends, not enemies.

This episode(s) would be about accepting others, even if they are different.

• 2 weeks later...

Human in Equestria fanfictions are often looked down upon by some in the fandom. They aren't completely off base, as when things veer too close to 'authorial wish fullfillment' in narrative fiction, it is usually a turn off (unless it's in the romance genre ... but that's a whole different ballgame).

• Brohoof 1

Human in Equestria fanfictions are often looked down upon by some in the fandom. They aren't completely off base, as when things veer too close to 'authorial wish fullfillment' in narrative fiction, it is usually a turn off (unless it's in the romance genre ... but that's a whole different ballgame).

I mean humans in MLP date back as far as G1.

I mean humans in MLP date back as far as G1.

I know. I was there. ;)

It might be a relevant argument to make to those that feel that way specifically about humans in Equestria. Usually you'll see many counter arguments to the G1 defense on places like FimFiction. It's a valid argument on both sides, but the OP posed a question about the possible reception of the concept. My personal opinion is not tied to the prior generations of the show, but to narrative fiction (text and screen) as a whole.

My corollary point was that the intended audience's disposition to self-indulgence isn't limited to MLP. From a general narrative fiction standpoint, whether or not it's been done in the IP before tends to be viewed as generally irrelevant.

And the complaints and derision found even in popular fiction author's reviews. A good example of non-pony self-insert criticism would be Stephen King's habit of making protagonists that are writers with a connection to Maine. Amusingly, he acknowledges the hypocrisy of this since it doesn't reconcile with his general views expressed in 'On Writing' where he suggests that authors should never 'write what they know'.

The fandom wouldn't approve if they added a human in the manner the OP proposed.

Given the fandom's reaction to Equestria Girls, having an actual human in Equestria wouldn't go very well with the fandom.

Plus it would break the rule of both universes, as when you go through the portal you change species, making it impossible for a human to be in Equestria.

Humans in MLP always kind of rubbed me the wrong way, it needs to be done very carefully to seem realistic and not cliche. However, alternate dimensions are of course canon so a traveller from another dimension is pretty reasonable. Matter of fact, I was always kind of dissapointed that nobody from EqG ever got to see equestria, so anything along those lines has my support.