Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What gen has the best pony designs?

ChubbyBunny

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to say that the G4 ponies have the best designs with the G1 ponies being second. 

I have many G1 ponies from my childhood so yes, there is a bit of nostagic factor there. 

The only thing I liked about the G2 or G3 ponies is the magnetic front hoof. 

I personally adore the G1 ponies' designs for looking so sweet and caring. The toys also have so many great color combinations, it's awesome!

• 1 month later...

Gen  1 hoofs down.

Twinkle eye ponies.

Glow in the dark

Rock n Beat

princess Ponie

peek a boo baby ponies

big brother

baby brothers

family ponies

long had ponies

perfume puff ponies

baby ponies

sea ponies 

baby sea ponies

wedding ponies

colour swirl ponies

beddy bye eye ponies

ballerina ponies

baby ballerina ponies... 

mountain boy ponies

flutter ponies

twice as fancy

berry ponies

candid cane ponies

birthday pack 

slumber pack

these are all EPIC... 

GEN 2 and 3 meh, I was blinded in the hype..

the new ponies based on mlpfim no thank you. It's boring to see a rerelease all the time of the same pony ,

generation 1 ponies are a mix of everything under the sun. They do not rerelease alicketysplit in every type, they were all unique and different and new. That is why not he Gen one is Epic. 

To me they just keep tweaking the six over an over again it's sadly an overkill. I rather have a mix of ponies than an army of rainbow dashes,  But this is just me. 

Everyine is different that is why I ditched buying the mlp and stuck with old style. Can't beat an origional in my book no matter how you try. 

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

4 by far. All the other ones look downright terrifying to me.

(edited)
On 7/12/2017 at 6:30 AM, Niko said:

4 by far. All the other ones look downright terrifying to me.

Oh I agree with that statement if it were Gen 3 and 3.5, but at least Gen 1 and 2 (or 1.5) looked like actual ponies.

Speaking of Best Pony Designs, I don't think there is. To me, they're all equally terrifying XD, but if my hands were tied I would give my vote to Gen 1.

At least they looked similar to their real life counterparts. Still the 1984 MLP cartoon's not very interesting nor does it appeal to me (except the villains cause they're the best part IMO).

Edited by ZethaPonderer

8 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Oh I agree with that statement if it were Gen 3 and 3.5, but at least Gen 1 and 2 (or 1.5) looked like actual ponies.

Speaking of Best Pony Designs, I don't think there is. To me, they're all equally terrifying XD, but if my hands were tied I would give my vote to Gen 1.

At least they looked similar to their real life counterparts. Still the 1984 MLP cartoon's not very interesting nor does it appeal to me (except the villains cause they're the best part IMO).

The problem with them looking like actual ponies for me is that I actually hate animals. I can stand cats, maybe, and some friends' dogs, but that's about it. I prefer them not being anywhere near me.:D Same goes for ponies, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

G4 OF COURSE :dash: . Look, big eyes, cute short nuzzles, stubby legs, specially the fillies :wub: . Joking aside, if I had to chose one apart of G4, it would be G3, as they started towards the cute factor, but still having real horse nuzzles

On 7/17/2017 at 8:20 AM, Niko said:

The problem with them looking like actual ponies for me is that I actually hate animals. I can stand cats, maybe, and some friends' dogs, but that's about it. I prefer them not being anywhere near me.:D Same goes for ponies, I guess.

And I've never been fond of horses, that's why previous gen ponies are unappealing to me, not to mention it doesn't feel like they have a wider range of expressions :huh: . 

If you ask me; I really liked the colors, horsey designs, and overall animation of My Little Pony Tales even if it wasn't the best. I don't collect the toys from older generations though, my sibling usually hoards all the G1 ponies.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of the figures of the ponies my favourite is G2, they're really pretty...and there's a french commercial on YouTube for some of the toys with a 3D animated portion that I thought looked really cool, was sad to find there's no series or movies in that design :/ 

I'll probably get hate for this, but in all honesty I'm not a HUUUGE fan of the G4 designs. I mostly like G4 for the story, characters and some of the toys...in terms of the brushable hair figures I always thought the older ones didn't look like the characters (especially Rainbow Dash and Twilight), so I prefer the blind bag toys and the GoH figures. And in terms of in the animation, I'm not too keen on how the ponies look in certain poses, facial expressions etc (basically if they're not in a neutral on four hoofs position, they look weird and awkward to me...Pinkie Pie is the worst for this, constantly going onto two hoofs and dancing like a human, it creeps me out a little). 

My all time FAVOURITE design though is the way the G4 Princesses look like in the tall doll form (the original celestia and cadance with the fluttering/glowing wings...they're gorgeous!). 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Love the Gen 1 toy pony style, so unique and different, Gen 2 UGLY but that is just me, everyone has different tastes, Gen 3 Me Ok I suppose Gen 4 Not my thing.... Like I said everyone is different and everyone has different taste ;)

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I’d say somewhere between g1 and g4 I like both g1 and g4 the most as I like how in g1 that the ponies were basically more horselike but also had their personalities, marks, and such. I think it’s the purest design of any generation but I also like g4 designs as they have different shaped heads and bodies and think you can do more with their body type. 

I'm assuming we are talking toys, if not then I'm going to stick to the toys not the cartoon since the toyline is generally where my focus is in MLP.

If we are going overall, counting the quality of the toy, variety, scale of production then hands down it's G1. I'd put G3 second but there were some aspects of G3 that missed the mark whereas G1 continued till the same quality and standards till maybe the last couple of years.

G1 had it's own mail order program where you could actually save up horseshoe ponies and get special edition ponies that a lot were never sold in store. Also take into consideration the vast number of ponies, produced outside the USA that were never sold in the states. There is like a whole like of G1's we never saw here, then lets not even get into the variants of ponies. Mail order G1 birth flower ponies were sold outside the USA but they were so awesome outside the USA whereas our US versions had same body hair color for all 12.

G1 actually realized it was a collectable toy early on. I have kept letters from hasbro and such that was calling the first 6 mlp collector ponies, even going back to 86. Hasbro made each toy pony feel unique in G1, not based on a cartoon but based on the individual toy, a majority of which never appeared on the TV program but have just as much personality as anything G4 ever created, mostly because back then, we children of G1 had to make our own ponies. What people deem now some sort of unique OC, the actual ponies themselves were OC and we made up our own pony land.

I know G4 is all the rage now, but sometimes it feels like the fanbase is just there to be a fanbase. I remember ponies back in the 80's as me and my cousins just loving our toy ponies and imagining our own versions of MLP. So as much as I like G4, nothing is ever going to replace MLP as a whole brand in my heart and certainly not G1, the thing that originally made me love MLP.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, StrangeGirl said:

I like the appearance of the Generation 1 ponies. They have those shiny manes, the light pastel coats, the semi-realistic proportions...

1690785__safe_posey_curly+hair_earth+pon

That's such a beautiful Posey!!

I'm bias as G1's were my original ponies. But as far as the toy goes nothing for me really beats the G1. In terms of the toys, If a person likes horses/ponies they look more like ponies opposed to whatever is going on with the G4 toys. And I like the G4cartoon but I've yet to see a toy I really completely love in G4. I just don't think I'm a huge fan of the art style they used. They have the sort of wonky head or really I don't know how to describe it exactly, it's like the head isn't quite right for the body, almost like the head is stretched weirdly....I don't know when I first saw them to me I thought deer more than pony. I think in G4 the Movie they actually did a better job of sizing the body to head better...there is just something softer and more appealing to how the ponies looked in the movie to me.

• 6 months later...

When it come to TV series G4 Hooves Down

When it come to Toy line G1 Why because it was mixed with a Flurry of Variety

Perfume puff

Brush n Grow

Family ponies

Big Brothers

Twice as fancy

Twinkle eyes

Flutter ponies

Drink n wet baby ponies

Baby ponies

Princess ponies with Bush woolies

Baby brother ponies

Mountain Boys

Twin baby ponies

Baby pearlize ponies

Baby sea ponies

Sea ponies

Twisty tail ponies

Pocket ponies

Color swirl ponies

Bride pony

Groom pony

Rapunzel

And Way More

G2 Horrid reminded me of my brothers action figurines

G3 were bulkly same pose 

G4 Worst toy line ever for their Army of the same dam pony...  just tweaked a bit ...

• 2 weeks later...

If you ask me about the standard design, I would say that my favorites is the one used in the original pilot. rescue at the midnight castle. beautiful and adorable ponies of bodies of adequate proportions. for me the most perfect for stories of more serious and sombre arguments.
in second it would put the G4, greater diversity in the design

• 2 weeks later...