Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What gen has the best pony designs?

ChubbyBunny

G2 had the *cutest* toys while I think G3 had the overall *best* designs, especially with the variet of poses and hair colors. I adore G1 and enjoy G4, but G1 relied more on toy gimmicks than poses with its designs, and G4 reuses the same molds and poses, not to mention what sets the characters shapes apart is their hair, which ends up identical in brushable form. That said,  G4.does have a pleasant amount of visual diversity in the show, even if it doesn't have 4+ colors in most ponies' hair like the more appealing G1 and G3.  G3.5 is the only one I don't like, and I generally refer to it separately. 

• 1 month later...

I'de have to say G4 and G2. (not meaning to be offensive) but I can't really see why some people adore G3 and G3.5 so much. The drawings back in G3 and G3.5 are fine, but the animations are rather uncanny and illogical. I'de have to say that even G2 and G1 is better than G3 and G3.5. However, G4 would always remain my favourite. (even after seeing G5 leaks) and I don't really see why some people tend to see G4 as "boring". But of course- everyone sees the world from different angles. And this is just my opinion. I'm sure everyone sees this differently. :mlp_grin:

Here are images of ponies from G1 to G4.5 (G5 leaks) for comparison. :darling:

G1-  MLP G1

G2-  MLP G2

G3-  MLP G3

G3.5-  MLP G3.5

G4-  MLP G4

G4.5-  MLP G4.5

G5-   MLP G5

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, shinystarry said:

I don't really see why some people tend to see G4 as "boring".

I think when you see people say boring, they'd probably be referring to the toyline. A lot of fans have to take into consideration the separate mentality when thinking about My Little Pony.

If you're a fan who came by way of the original MLP from the 1980s - then your mindset is probably TOY FIRST

If you're a fan who came by way of Friendship is Magic - then your mindset is probably CARTOON FIRST

So the opinions people give are generally flavored by which path you took into My Little Pony.

If I say G4 is boring then I'm talking about the toyline because I'm an original and come by way of the toys, to me the cartoon is an accessory :)

So we all gotta realize with MLP there is a different focus for certain sections of the fanbase for MLP.

I'd point out the pictures you use are all cartoon based but your G2 picture didn't show up. G2 did not have a cartoon. So there isn't an animation to go by for that anyway. So for TOYLINE fans you'd need to add toy pics ;)

Not a great pic but found this online a comparison of the toys

full.jpg

Edited by KarentheUnicorn
  • Brohoof 1

@shinystarry If that G2 picture was of Tales, I'm very glad it didn't load. Lickety Split's face in the G1 picture would quite accurately have described my reaction. Tales is not G2! My Little Pony generations are based off of the toys, not animations. As KarentheUnicorn noted, G2 did not have a cartoon.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, KarentheUnicorn said:

If you're a fan who came by way of the original MLP from the 1980s - then your mindset is probably TOY FIRST

If you're a fan who came by way of Friendship is Magic - then your mindset is probably CARTOON FIRST

So the opinions people give are generally flavored by which path you took into My Little Pony.

Yes.. I agree.. I am a late fan of the show.. The path people took to get into MLP influences their opinions.. sooo true..

:-D

5 hours ago, Envy said:

@shinystarry If that G2 picture was of Tales, I'm very glad it didn't load. Lickety Split's face in the G1 picture would quite accurately have described my reaction. Tales is not G2! My Little Pony generations are based off of the toys, not animations. As KarentheUnicorn noted, G2 did not have a cartoon.

Ohh.. I'm sorry for the incorrect information I gave.. I will atleast try to check my precision before posting. :grin:

Edited by shinystarry

• 1 month later...