Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn lore: will we ever get any?

Unlikeable Pony

as the topic says, will we ever get any lore about alicorns? Or Lore about stuff like the EOH, Starswirl the bearded, and other important things from the show in general?

it seems like the show will never touch on these things, with them distancing themselves more and more from things that were big in early seasons. It seems like they were planning on exploring such things in the movie but backed out of it, so do you think they'll ever fully flesh out the backstory for the alicorn race in the show?

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, the most we had of alicorn lore was in the Journal of the Two Sisters. Which sadly it only covers that what is now Canterlot used to be an alicorn-only settlement, they left it for unknown reasons, and they get their butt-tattoos at a much older age :huh:. We MAY get a bit more light on then this season if it focuses on Equestria's history

Good question. We don't know anything about Celestia/Luna's family or how they decide who gets to be an alicorn. I'm also not sure if alicorn magic is related to the Tree of Harmony somehow or if it's a completely separate force...  :huh: 

I'm not sure why but I have a gut feeling we'll get a good Celestia episode next season.

• Brohoof 1

Good question. We don't know anything about Celestia/Luna's family or how they decide who gets to be an alicorn. I'm also not sure if alicorn magic is related to the Tree of Harmony somehow or if it's a completely separate force...  :huh:

I'm not sure why but I have a gut feeling we'll get a good Celestia episode next season.

Well, if "celestial advice" DOESN'T have celestia in it, you can sure her fans will be pissed XD

• Brohoof 2

Well, if "celestial advice" DOESN'T have celestia in it, you can sure her fans will be pissed XD

I must have seen that title and forgot about it.

It'd be great if she just sends Twilight some notes or something and doesn't even show up until the last 30 seconds. :sunbutt:

The most probable place I could see them delving into this info would be in the movie and trust me, I would absolutely LOVE that. however, even in the film it doesn't seem overly likely. Alicorns are immensely mysterious at this point, especially the sisters and they are what I want lore on the most. Their origins and such. Come DHX, give it to us! Eventually.

The most probable place I could see them delving into this info would be in the movie and trust me, I would absolutely LOVE that. however, even in the film it doesn't seem overly likely. Alicorns are immensely mysterious at this point, especially the sisters and they are what I want lore on the most. Their origins and such. Come DHX, give it to us! Eventually.

The reason why they wouldn't do alicorn in the movie makes sense to me, but its not something I particularly LIKE. the info we have on the early work of the movie implies that the movie WAS supposed to be a giant Milestone type deal that answered alot of old lore in the series and touched on Starswirl AND alicorns.

However, from a FINANCIAL standpoint, that's a bad idea for a movie. From a quality standpoint, its good, but if you're making a movie, you don't give a CRAP about the quality except as a means to the end of money: execs will love a stinker that makes money just as much as a Classic that makes money.

Specifically here, if you're making a giant grand movie, you're going to want to pull in the "mainstream" audience, not JUSt the fans. So you're going to want everything to be VERY low on the continuity so as to make it easy for a brand new viewer to come in and just sit down and go.

At the same time, you need it to be "New" for the old fans so THEY don't get bored and walk out, so it can't just be a retread of a previous episode that re-introduces concepts already explained in the series.

As such, the way to go is to bring in a COMPLETELY new and independent group of characters and villains, ect., to base the movie around, so as to make both old and new fans on equal footing: Both are clueless about what this stuff is, so both newbies and old fans will react in the same way.

Unfortunately, this makes me think it'll be utterly IMPOSSIBLE for them to ever do a movie as a "grand finale" type deal, as the financial pressure of hasbro execs will inevitably push it to avoid delving too much into continuity-- So our best bet for a giant Info dump event would be in the show itself as a Finale or premier.

The reason why they wouldn't do alicorn in the movie makes sense to me, but its not something I particularly LIKE. the info we have on the early work of the movie implies that the movie WAS supposed to be a giant Milestone type deal that answered alot of old lore in the series and touched on Starswirl AND alicorns.

However, from a FINANCIAL standpoint, that's a bad idea for a movie. From a quality standpoint, its good, but if you're making a movie, you don't give a CRAP about the quality except as a means to the end of money: execs will love a stinker that makes money just as much as a Classic that makes money.

Specifically here, if you're making a giant grand movie, you're going to want to pull in the "mainstream" audience, not JUSt the fans. So you're going to want everything to be VERY low on the continuity so as to make it easy for a brand new viewer to come in and just sit down and go.

At the same time, you need it to be "New" for the old fans so THEY don't get bored and walk out, so it can't just be a retread of a previous episode that re-introduces concepts already explained in the series.

As such, the way to go is to bring in a COMPLETELY new and independent group of characters and villains, ect., to base the movie around, so as to make both old and new fans on equal footing: Both are clueless about what this stuff is, so both newbies and old fans will react in the same way.

Unfortunately, this makes me think it'll be utterly IMPOSSIBLE for them to ever do a movie as a "grand finale" type deal, as the financial pressure of hasbro execs will inevitably push it to avoid delving too much into continuity-- So our best bet for a giant Info dump event would be in the show itself as a Finale or premier.

I'd correct that statement by saying that the movie should gain money by attracting potential  fans. Older fans will go with their eyes bandaged, but that's a tiny fraction of what income should get in the box office, and thus, make a plot that doesn't need to have prior pony knowledge 

I was kinda hoping Flurry Heart being born an alicorn would have helped us get some, but the season 6 premiere didn't give us any alicorn lore, so I don't think we will be getting any of that in the future.

Unless Celestial Advice ends up being a Celestia episode, but I can't be certain even a Celestia episode would give us alicorn lore.

That would be great, but Hasbro would only fudge it up if they tried to tell a story about the alicorn race, so they won't. It's sad, really. But hey! Who needs Hasbro when you got fanfic?! Because that's about as far as I perceive it will go. 

That and the other stuff you mentioned in your first post were things I wanted to learn about since the very first episode, but I doubt we'll get anything significant. And if we do get something, there will be some problems.

The first thing that pops to my mind is that alicorns not named Twilight have been overall worthless to the show, so how will expanding on them fix those problems? If the problems do somehow get addressed, why did it take so long? Some might say, "Better late than never," but making the alicorns (especially Celestia) so useless and incompetent has done major damage to their overall image. Celestia may have never done something truly meaningful during her times on screen, but she hasn't done nothing, either. We've seen her quickly lose to Chrysalis in front of the pony citizens themselves, make a stupid choices when Tirek showed up, and look utterly helpless in the rest of the situations especially during the alternate timelines at the end of season 5.

Season 7 may or may not give Celestia the respect she deserves, but I doubt I'll be happy with the final product. If she continues to get ignored or look like an idiot, then I'll still be irritated that someone like her is the one who's watching over Equestria. If she gets to be more helpful and active, then I'll wonder why some useless and incompetent idiot is suddenly helpful. 6 seasons of lousy portrayals is nothing to scoff at.

They've had a ton of chances to do something with the alicorn sisters in the first 2 seasons, but we got little to nothing. Just how little? At this point, we have essentially nothing about the relationship between Celestia and Luna. Cadance is stated to be a niece of some kind to Celestia, but this was never stated in the show. Not helping is that those 2 never had meaningful interaction in the show, so we still have nothing on their relationship as well. Keep in mind that Cadance showed her face at the end of season 2, and we're about to start season 7.

Then Twilight became an alicorn in season 3, and we could've learned more about the differences between them and regular ponies. Maybe there could be something on alicorns at birth (Celestia and Luna) vs artificial alicorns (Twilight and allegedly Cadance according to a book that will probably never be referenced in the show). We also had a chance to see how they go about their royal duties, but nope. They only cared about making a big, flashy fight for the end of season 4.

Season 5 didn't do much with them, but the last 2 episodes of that season confirm that all ponies outside of the Mane 6 being friends are worthless to Equestria, so there's no point in learning more about such useless and pointless characters.

Season 6 probably could've done something, not that I cared after season 5, but Flurry Heart was introduced. The sisters make an idle statement about alicorn birth... and that's all we got. So another season with more wasted opportunities passed by.

Honestly, the alicorns should've never been brought up in the show, or they should've never had some connection to the main characters. Just based on the first 2 seasons alone, I don't know if Lauren herself even had any plans with the alicorns.

Edited by Number62

Lore? In FIM? What is this, standup comedy?

There's not much, but there is SOME after all :P

Like the journal of the two sisters for example.

Actually, wondering about S7, as the comics are supposed to tie into whats to come, and the special comic series they're making right now might as well be titled "Background lore: the series"

large.png

There's not much, but there is SOME after all :P

Like the journal of the two sisters for example.

Actually, wondering about S7, as the comics are supposed to tie into whats to come, and the special comic series they're making right now might as well be titled "Background lore: the series"

[sacrifice]

I'm aware of these. That's why I said FIM. Kinda funny they used Valknut for a cutie mark. I don't think they know what it means. They should have used Aegishjalmur instead. Well, at least the stallion is well equipped for whatever lies ahead ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anyway, the big secret is that the comics are just a dumpster for discarded ideas that will never be addressed in the show. The latest main comics are a little different but I don't think this will add much to FIM lore. It'll just be another friendship story with a "big reveal" at the end.

Damn it! This picture is now making me sad. This could have been AJ in the present time.

I doubt the creative team behind the show even read one issue of the comics. I did hear about the newer comics trying harder to tie together with the show or something like that, but I doubt the overall situation will change.