Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fluttershy the Fearsome

ManaMinori

will we ever get an episode involving some super nerd otaku hearing of Fluttershy's fearsome accomplishments (Taming a Manticore, staring down a cockatrice, Putting the Lord of Chaos on parole, talking smack to a full grown dragon, making Cerberus a harmless puppy), and starting up a Fluttershy fanclub, being all stalker-y and fanboyish, and having to learn a lesson from her about dialing it down? (it'd be an interesting twist to see Flutters having to teach another pony to be less assertive, and kind to other ponies by giving them their space). Maybe they can become friends and she can have someone to geek out with anime with. 

thoughts?

sig-4820752.984874__safe_fluttershy_clot

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, i agree. That would definitely be something really great! Would put kindness in a real good light. Where it should be, tbh :D

Though, if they are gonna geek out about something it should be explicitly anime but something that parodies that. Whatever, was probably what you meant.

Which brings me to another thing. I think it would be awesome for Fluttershy to have some secrets nopony knows about. Like all those things she does take a little more than just "being nice".

Yeah.

Yes, i agree. That would definitely be something really great! Would put kindness in a real good light. Where it should be, tbh :D

Though, if they are gonna geek out about something it should be explicitly anime but something that parodies that. Whatever, was probably what you meant.

Which brings me to another thing. I think it would be awesome for Fluttershy to have some secrets nopony knows about. Like all those things she does take a little more than just "being nice".

Yeah.

animare?

she hasn't really gotten a chance to teach anypony kindness as of late. If ever. Like, on a personal basis, like Twilight does with Gutter. so yeah....

I think they can leave the Anime in but only without ever saying the word. Just refering to "a show"

And i think you need something they can geek about because that's what would hold them together. Just randomly teaching somepony about kindness just wouldn't do it.

• Brohoof 1

Just skip the anime part and it sounds like a pretty decent episode idea. 

why wouldn't you want Fluttershy to geek out and make a new friend with a pony who has the same interests  that she does? You want her to just teach a pony a lesson about kindness, and never see them on the show again? 

I think this would be a great episode, Fluttershy teaching someone to be kind but if needed, assertive...which sometimes is a form of kindness. Don't know about the "anime" bit, considering in the past 6 seasons they've never really mention anything regarding television. I mean they could have something else in common, like animals....something we already know she's really into....or maybe the exact opposite, do a Rainbow Dash/Daring Do type thing, where Twilight got all excited finding out that Dash actually liked reading Daring Do, but instead it's Fluttershy in Rainbow's position and the other pony in Twilight's position, where we learn through the other pony a couple of Fluttershy's other favourite things...or maybe the new pony introduces Fluttershy to some sort of new thing and she likes it completely.

why wouldn't you want Fluttershy to geek out and make a new friend with a pony who has the same interests  that she does?  

I have nothing against Fluttershy making friends with people with similar interests. I do on the other hand feel that making her a fan of Chinese cartoons would be incredibly silly. 

Inb4 "But what about those cardboard cutouts in Scare Master then?" 

Those were nothing more than a small easter egg for the more nerdier fans, it wasn't meant to be taken as proof that Fluttershy is a weeaboo.  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This could be a good episode or a fan fic, especially if they base it on Fluttershy's behavior at the first gala & make her out to be some ferocious warrior type.  One thing to remember is Discord's attitude toward's Tree Hugger.  Doesn't really like to share Fluttershy 

Edited by sweetolebob18

This could be a good episode or a fan fic, especially if they base it on Fluttershy's behavior at the first gala & make her out to be some ferocious warrior type.  One thing to remember is Discord's attitude toward's Tree Hugger.  Doesn't really like to share Fluttershy 

i don't think they would need to take into account her underlying anger issues. Just her accomplishments of taming fearsome beasts could earn her the title

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2017 at 8:21 AM, Yamet said:

I have nothing against Fluttershy making friends with people with similar interests. I do on the other hand feel that making her a fan of Chinese cartoons would be incredibly silly. 

Inb4 "But what about those cardboard cutouts in Scare Master then?" 

Those were nothing more than a small easter egg for the more nerdier fans, it wasn't meant to be taken as proof that Fluttershy is a weeaboo.  

You can be a fan of anime, without being called something derogatory like weeaboo. I am a fan of anime, but I don't run around trying to pretend I'm Japanese. What's wrong with portraying Fluttershy as a fan of her world's equivalent? The show already depicts Rainbow Dash being totally obsessed with Daring Do. In fact, I do wish they would just once show RD enjoying some other book, written by a different author.

I am all for Fluttershy making new friends, but if they did something like this I imagine Discord would kill them.

And if he did not, and the character were male, the heaped hatred the Fluttershy fans would launch at them most certainly would.

"He is trying to steal our Waifu! Get him!"

That being said, if she did make a new friend it would probably be a one and done character like the majority of them. And it does not have to be about any form of "anime"... they could just be truly impressed by her ability with animals and nature.

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I (still really hoe we'll see Otakushy soon. Will she have time to, running an animal sanctuary AND her usual pet-care business?

Probability of this happening is fairly nil. The paper cutouts weren't even scripted in the story. It was something that was added as a visual after thought in storyboard.

A common misconception is that the writer pens everything we see on screen ... and often times they get credit for visual moments that the writer had nothing to do with. Most of the fan nods and references are added in after the script is locked in. 

And here is the truth to the non BG character nods that fans ignore ... they aren't in there for your entertainment. It's self-indulgent ... don't for the boarder's personal enjoyment ... not the adult fans. 

Jim has said this numerous times too, since he is an uber geek. XD

2 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

You can be a fan of anime, without being called something derogatory like weeaboo. I am a fan of anime, but I don't run around trying to pretend I'm Japanese. 

It was a joke. Granted, not a really funny one but still. Besides, what's so wrong with using the term weeaboo? I mean, plenty of anime fans use the word Otaku to describe themselves, and that means basically the same thing. 

2 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

What's wrong with portraying Fluttershy as a fan of her world's equivalent? The show already depicts Rainbow Dash being totally obsessed with Daring Do.

Well, for starters. There are better things that Fluttershy could be "geek out" with someone else over (like animals). Secondly, there's the problem that television doesn't exist in Equestria. 

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

I am all for Fluttershy making new friends, but if they did something like this I imagine Discord would kill them.

And if he did not, and the character were male, the heaped hatred the Fluttershy fans would launch at them most certainly would.

That being said, if she did make a new friend it would probably be a one and done character like the majority of them. And it does not have to be about any form of "anime"... they could just be truly impressed by her ability with animals and nature.

you may be thinking of pre-"what about Discord" Discord, there. He's changed since then, and has learned how to accept her having other friends besides him

Just now, Yamet said:

It was a joke. Granted, not a really funny one but still. Besides, what's so wrong with using the term weeaboo? I mean, plenty of anime fans use the word Otaku to describe themselves, and that means basically the same thing. 

Well, for starters. There are better things that Fluttershy could be "geek out" with someone else over (like animals). Secondly, there's the problem that television doesn't exist in Equestria. 

they didn't need tv to show the characters in Scar Master. Comics (coughmangacough) exist, and Spike is an avid reader of them. Why can't Flutters be?

I want Fluttershy to have a bizarre adventure in a long manly delinquent coat where she uses wildlife as her stands ... Brb, need to snort more catnip.

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Fan opinions have no influence on the facts of the show.

Flutts can't have male friends cause Discord and fans would try to KILL them.

Someone fetch this fan a towel. The daily struggle is real ;)

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Probability of this happening is fairly nil. The paper cutouts weren't even scripted in the story. It was something that was added as a visual after thought in storyboard.

A common misconception is that the writer pens everything we see on screen ... and often times they get credit for visual moments that the writer had nothing to do with. Most of the fan nods and references are added in after the script is locked in. 

And here is the truth to the non BG character nods that fans ignore ... they aren't in there for your entertainment. It's self-indulgent ... don't for the boarder's personal enjoyment ... not the adult fans. 

Jim has said this numerous times too, since he is an uber geek. XD

What about Derpy? If something harmless sticks then it damn sticks. Anime is only gonna grow more popular in the west and all the big boys know this. Plus, one's casual self-indulgence can become another's entertainment. So what if it was meant as a contained joke. Kek vult.

2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

What about Derpy? If something harmless sticks then it damn sticks.

Granted Derpy happened. 

So ... the curious question is ... were is the Derpy of Season 2-7?

The Twicane/scepter seems to be the only thing that the animation team did that has stick around and it certainly hasn't had an relevant impact on narrative of the show. Arguably the only time this has happened is not when a visual gag is used, but when a line of written dialog is expanded on later. 

My point stands. This isn't how episodes are created by this staff. 

2 hours ago, Jeric said:

Granted Derpy happened. 

So ... the curious question is ... were is the Derpy of Season 2-7?

The Twicane/scepter seems to be the only thing that the animation team did that has stick around and it certainly hasn't had an relevant impact on narrative of the show. Arguably the only time this has happened is not when a visual gag is used, but when a line of written dialog is expanded on later. 

My point stands. This isn't how episodes are created by this staff. 

And my point stands: memes cannot be ruled out. Thankfully, the staff do not have the final say in this matter.

We shouldn't ask ourselves about the whereabouts of this brand new Derpy but our memes in general. You already know my explanation, or should I say my position about the lack of their appearance. However, this has nothing to do with our current debate. It can happen again and you have no counterpoint other than a drought of innovative content with the ability to spread beyond our withering sites. Besides, we should really stop treating anime as a meme. It is a hobby same as any other. Please, tell me some good reasons why Flutts shouldn't enjoy it? If the horseshoe fits it doesn't matter who forged it. Let me guess: the wise and experienced staff you know so much about live on a mountain like hermits, honing their pony skills to perfection, and thus have no time or patience for such mindless drivel. Forgive me. I didn't know ponies are such serious business. Boy-oh-boy, I cannot wait for all that new Mane 6 development they're cooking up!

Just now, Goat-kun said:

Forgive me. I didn't know ponies are such serious business. Boy-oh-boy, I cannot wait for all that new Mane 6 development they're cooking up!

Eh. Ponies, asparagus, cubism, medicine, and striped socks ... the subject should never handicap engaging discussion. 

7 hours ago, Yamet said:

Printing exists Fluttershy could be an avid manga reader. Motion pictures exist. She could be a fan of full length anime movies. Besides, Tree Hugger is Flutterhsy's go to friend for geeking out over animals.