Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning My Little Pony: Teaching is Magic (Pony Characters Only, SOL)

Shadowtune

sig-4821902.sgdKS52.jpg

Hello! Here is the roleplay prompt;

A strange envelope arrives at your character’s doorstep. There is no return address, only a deep green wax seal covering the flaps. The embossed seal depicts two apples on a branch. Upon opening the letter, your character reads the following, in golden embossed print:

Dear Friend,

Jonagold Academy for Young Ponies – A private boarding school with over four decades of history. Surrounded by vast tracts of lush farmland, Jonagold Academy is nestled between the towns of Appleloosa and Dodge City, and dedicated to providing a cost-free, high-quality education of young fillies, colts, and yearlings of central Equestria.

While the school was originally built with earth ponies in mind, the academy has become inclusive of pegasi and unicorn pupils, while also catering to the specific needs of their races. Science, math, language arts, and the study of magic are all taught alongside one another at Jonagold, along with many other subjects and electives.

Students and instructors all reside on campus, in the recently renovated dormitories and teacher’s quarters! Student safety and comfort is always of the utmost importance at Jonagold Academy. Staff benefits include paid room and board, medical care, state of the art teacher’s lounges, and access to a private staff library. All teachers are also given access to the athletic complex after school hours.

The school has been highly lauded by the Educators Association of Equestria, including the benevolent Celestia herself. Jonagold’s mission centers around one purpose; the pursuit of an individual’s desired purpose. Jonagold encourages students to take charge of their own destiny, regardless of what peers, family, or cutie marks have to say about the matter. The teachers and administrators endeavor to support their students, and encourage them to pursue their goals, and even their life’s dream, as this was the highest priority of Jonagold’s founders.

We hope to see you for a campus tour, or as a future educator at our fine academy!

Regards,

Headmaster ___________________

And this is where it would be up to us fill in the blanks!

To give you a little bit more of information in what kind of RP I'm interested in doing, I would like to run an academy, with the focus of the story being ON THE TEACHERS. The students would be mostly NPC's, unless we decided to develop a plot thread where a student becomes very important to the story. But I mainly want to focus on teachers, especially in the early stages of this story. Please do not apply with a student character right now. I want to build strong adult characters who live and work with one another, and create bonds together to become better at what they do.

Right now, I'm looking for people who have characters they'd like to put into this universe, and people who like to get down to the nitty-gritty of plot building for this world. I have already planned a bit about the history of the school's founding and the two stallions that made it possible, but I won't get into that quite yet. Right now, I'd like introductions, and bit more information - here's a form below!

RP Experience (in years):

Character Applying With: 

Character Traits:

Position/Job Interest:

Why Do You want to do this RP:

RP Sample:

Here's a list of things you should know about the RP:

- No non-pony OCs. That means changelings, griffins, hippogriffs, mules, and other non-pony characters won't be accepted.

-No alicorn OCs.

-No OCs with mechanical limbs.

-Third person RP only

- RP word minimums are 300 words. Every post in this roleplay will be considered moderate difficulty. Please pay close attention to spelling, grammar, and proper writing conventions.

-Try to tailor your character to be AS SIMILAR TO THE PONIES IN THE TELEVISION SHOW. That means we want ponies who are not excessively neon-colored, and have typical pony names. Also, try avoid super dark pasts and backstories. It's excessive and overdone.

- What job would you like your pony to have? A science teacher, a music instructor... the headmaster, nurse, janitor, or guidance counselor? Perhaps even one of the coveted teachers of magic? Get creative. Think of things they would teach in Equestria. You could be the Buckball coach, or you could teach a baking and life skills class! Your imagination is the limit.

------

Thanks for showing interest in this RP! If I have enough people who are interested in participating, I may consider moving us to a forum-hosting website such as a Proboards forum dedicated specifically to Teaching is Magic. If you have any questions, you can post them here, or shoot me a PM!

Good luck!

UPDATE - 3/4/2017

-History of Jonagold Academy for Young Ponies-

Most ponies know the sole founder of Jonagold Academy. After all, he visits the building quite frequently, as his small home is only just down the road from the school. Green Acres, pictured above, provides all finances for the academy, and has done so for 40 years. With the inheritance of his highborn Canterlot-based family, Green Acres poured all of his riches into the school, and to the benefit of all its students. Because of the stallion's generosity, Jonagold Academy has never had to turn away a student who's family was unable to afford the tuition. 

Green Acres often surveys the school's teachers for their ideas and concerns in an effort to improve the school. He is a pleasant pony, and friendly to everyone he comes in contact with. Optimistic to a fault, Green Acres just wants to take care of everyone involved with the school.

Most ponies do not know that there is a second pony to attribute to Jonagold's years of success, as Green Acres is a very private individual, especially in matters about his past.

Green Acres met this second pony in Appleloosa, traveling with his father, Vast Expanse. Vast was a enormously successful land dealer, and owned a great deal of property in Equestria. On this particular trip, Green Acres was meant to observe his father negotiate a land trade with members of the Apple family, as he was meant to inherit his father's legacy one day. At 20 years of age, Green Acres felt he was prepared for this responsibility. But these plans changed on this trip. Green Acres became acquainted with a young stallion of the Apple family, Jonagold Apple.

NYDbf5I.jpg

Jonagold was an aspiring school teacher, whom Green Acres quickly formed a deep connection with. So strong was their friendship, that it was only natural for it to grow into something more. However, this was a clandestine love. Green Acres convinced his father that he could successfully base a dealership in Appleloosa. Pleased with his ambition, Vast Expanse left Green Acres with a sizable inheritance and the property rights to several local plots.

Jonagold's family did not approve of his career prospects. They wanted him to continue to work as an apple farmer, as this was tradition. Green Acre's partner was desperately unhappy with his home life, and just wanted to pursue his dream. Jonagold spent a great deal of time with Green, confiding to him often about his desire to escape and begin a school. The couple grew closer and closer, and began to plan a potential life for both of them to be happier. Two years into the relationship, fate would throw a wrench into their plans. Jonagold developed an illness that slowly drained him of his vitality; he eventually debilitated into a state of terminal illness. A heartbroken Green Acres rarely left his partner's side in this time, staying close and comforting him. Jonagold expressed great distress in the fact that he hadn't pursued his goal, and regret hung heavily over his head. After several months, doctors were no longer able to help Jonagold. In his last days, Jonagold revealed his true relationship with Green Acres to his family. His family refused to see him after this.

On his final day, Jonagold asked Green Acres to encourage other ponies to live the life they wanted to live, and to not wait for "the right time." Green Acres lost his partner early that morning, 40 years ago. 

To this day, Green Acres has promoted Jonagold's wish. He built the academy on this very principal, even though his father greatly disapproved of this financial choice. Word of the school spread throughout Appleloosa, and then eventually the rest of Equestria. It is Green Acres's proudest achievement, and his way of honoring the love he had for the stallion he had shared his heart with.

Edited by Shadowtune
  • Brohoof 1

RP Experience (in years): Ages. I started RPing on other forums sometime in 2006 or roundabouts.

Character Applying With: https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/cha-cha-r9829

Character Traits: See link.

Position/Job Interest: Dance teacher.

Why Do You want to do this RP: Cha Cha is my newest OC and it seems like the perfect RP for her.

RP Sample: https://mlpforums.com/topic/162235-friendship-strikes-in-the-crystal-empire-soladv-open-drop-indrop-out/

• Brohoof 1

RP Experience (in years): I am relatively new to MLP Roleplay, but I've been involved in other roleplay types.

Character Applying With: https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/snowbound-r9871

Character Traits: Creative, Nature-Loving, and a Bookworm.

Position/Job Interest: Either English or maybe Poetry.

Why Do You want to do this RP: My OC is centered mainly around love for nature and writing.

RP Sample: I do not have one.

Apps and characters look great, you guys! I would like to know form both of you - Would it be easier to move the RP to its own forum, with sub-boards and things like that to represent different parts of the school? Or would it be better to stay here, and just do our own threads in the Everfree Forest board?

(edited)

RP Experience (in years): 2-ish? It's been sporadic and I've not been anywhere near prolific in those years.

Character Applying With: Crescent Light

Character Traits: Geeks out over equestrian history, Coffee addict, Can be overly protective of his students, not a morning person

Position/Job Interest: History Teacher (Though any form of teaching is fine with me, but Crescent tends to still give geeky historical references while teaching other courses) 

Why Do You want to do this RP: Because it's well written and well thought out. (Like seriously, The amount of effort placed into this is astounding.) 

RP Sample: 

https://mlpforums.com/topic/144190-forum-mystery-rp/

300 words

Wow....I just noticed that little stipulation....I mean...300 words....This is gonna be interesting for sure o_o 

Edited by Crescent Light

@@Shadowtune,

RP Experience (in years): Two and a half years on these forums. But I've done table top RPs like Dungeons & Dragons, Traveler, Marvel & World Of Darkness since 2007. 

Character Applying With: Chaly Black Bird 

Character Traits:  has a flair for theatrics, tends to go on enthusiastic tangents during lessons, unorthodox teaching methods, may bend the rules for efficiency sake, has unusual means of dealing with unruly students,

Position/Job Interest: Military History, Thestral history & culture, social studies, political science & government, 

Why Do You want to do this RP: I miss doing school themed RPs. And the last few I was a part of never quite worked out. 

RP Sample: https://mlpforums.com/topic/154956-anthro-slice-of-life-redux/page-1

@@Shadowtune, I think for now it would be easier to stay here, at least for the moment. We can always set up a PM group to discuss plot points etc, and not many forums have that option.

RP Experience (in years): About a year and a half now, here only.

Character Applying With: Soft Star

Character Traits: Pessimistic, Serious, Honor-bound, Passionate  

Position/Job Interest: Professor of Astrology 

Why Do You want to do this RP: A school RP would be fun, I've done a teacher position before and really enjoyed it, it's a shame it went bust.

RP Sample: 

https://mlpforums.com/topic/160436-uss-luna/

https://mlpforums.com/topic/136815-rp-the-blackwater-quarry/page-15?

(Some current examples) 

• Brohoof 1

Hey everyone! Sorry for the radio silence, it's been another busy workweek for me. All of your characters look great, and I would love to have them as part of the story. What you can expect from me soon is:

- An update to the information portion at the top of this thread, detailing the history behind the school's founding (this is not common knowledge to most ponies in the RP)

- A group PM, to discuss plot ideas, introduction threads, and general RP Q&A

- The application of my own teacher character, Shadowtune! (She's a music instructor)

I cannot wait to start, thank you all so much for your patience. 

• Brohoof 1

RP Experience (in years): I lost count, Some years. 5+ years at least though. (4-5 years on this forum however)

Character Applying With: Heathlife

Character Traits: Ambitious, kind, generous, can derail into higher education material, sometimes bring in other unrelated education material (Ex: Gemology in a programming class), seems a bit creepy to people who don't know him.

Position/Job Interest: Magic teacher

Why Do You want to do this RP: Well, frankly. I like school RPs. And, since I actually want to use my new alternative to Heathlife.

RP Sample: Don't have any real current RP samples except from a RP I dropped out from. Because of reasons I do not want to share. However, since I want to provide one. I'll type a sample of how I'd role play, just like old days.

Heathlife was sitting inside of his humble home. This home wasn't quite as simple as any other normal house however, the reason as to why is because it has a laboratory underneath it. One which is used to research magic, alchemy and other related interests of his. Whenever he manages to make any useful potion that might help someone in need, be it in the hospital or in the street. Be it a poor pony or the richest of them all. Recently he had created a failed concoction that was harmful however, and with that one he couldn't burn it or just dispose of it. So he made a containment bubble, which he has many of now. They're quite common for him to create now. He has to make at least one daily, most because of failed projects. Others? Well, he has to preserve them somehow. For future uses, that is.

this isn't in my opinion my best, but it is around average.

• Brohoof 1

RP Experience (in years): Not MLP, but I have been roleplaying for more than 5 years

Character Applying With: Shadowtune

Character Traits: Very cautious and constantly second guessing herself, Shadowtune is very soft-spoken, but caring. She likes to have fun, and even has a unique sense of humor, but it doesn't really come out unless she is comfortable. She is definitely not the "leader" type, but she is good at stepping forward when other ponies need her. Shadow is good at adapting herself to whatever a task needs.

Position/Job Interest: Instrumental Music (Band)

Why Do You want to do this RP: I love ponies, and I love teachers! This is basically an experiment on my part to shamelessly enter myself (Shadowtune is essentially me  :adorkable: ) into Equestria! 

RP Sample:

The loud screech of colt's clarinet causes Shadowtune to pull her ears back sharply against her skull. "That's great, Golden Grape, let's try using less mouth piece this time," she interjects, noticing the discomfort on her other student's faces. A slender teal hoof shoots up into the air. Shadowtune turns and smiles "Yes, Snowball?" The filly stares at her clarinet indignantly, then looks at her teacher. "When are we going to get to play real music? We've been trying out instruments for weeks!"

An understanding smile crosses Shadowtune's face, and she clears her throat to address all the students. "I know we're all eager to get to start band. I'm excited too! But we have to find out which instruments work the best for each of us before we can really start to play." A snicker arises from one colt. "Well I'm pretty sure it isn't the clarinet!" Other ponies join in the laughter. Shadowtune cocks her head. "Hold on now. Don't be so sure. The clarinet is a really beautiful instrument if you work at it." She holds her hoof out toward a student close to her, who hands her the clarinet carefully. Shadowtune takes the clarinet in her hooves, sitting upright in a nearby chair. Her wings lower, and she presses the tips of her feathers into the tone wholes of the clarinet, lifting it to her mouth with a gentle breath. Shadowtune plays the first few bars of Grainger's Molly on The Shore. Her student's eyes brighten a bit, and there are a few audible "wows" and other interjections.

The pegasi places the clarinet on her chair with a humble look. "The instrument you choose is a reflection of who you are. It's not something you can rush, like getting your cutie mark!" She glances back at her own flank, suppressing a bit of worry rising in her stomach. She still was very uncertain of her own mark's purpose. Shadowtune faces her students, and speaks with a gentle voice. "Class is dismissed. I'll help you put your instruments away. Good work today, everypony." 

• 2 weeks later...